Coaches not the talent...

Coach55

Okay. After 17 years of no playoffs, I am now convinced that in the past 11 of them, it has been entirely the coaching and not the talent. Since Jauron, we have managed to have a playoff caliber team on one side of the ball every year, but can't put it together

06-09 Jauron/Fewell defense solid each year, offense is totally inept.

10-12 Gailey puts up a solid offense despite lack of talent, yet talent filled defense is flat out awful (Wannstedt's year being the worst)

13-14 Defense good again - Pettine/Schwarz. Enter Nathaniel Hackett - ugly, ugly, ugly

15-16 Offense again playoff caliber in spite of average QB, Rex - what have you done to our defense...

17 Looks like the Defense will be good again, but what happened to our offense (mostly the same talent as last year). Dennison is not picking the right plays to exploit our players. (reckon it is only pre-season, but I see the outcome already)

I am not saying that in any of the years we had an unbelievable talent on either side of the ball, but the talent was always good enough to get 10-11 wins and make the playoffs with decent coaching. Why is it that we can only ever get one side right? Tyrod might not be great, but you stick him in the offense we ran the past two years under Roman/Lynn and we are a playoff team with this defense.

Can someone please explain to me why we can't get this right?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We zig, then we zag. Im all for walking the line in all three phases. Better question is, you say its coaches, not talent. I get that. But why in the world can't coaches teach TO talent? Meaning why if a "talent" cant/dont fit scheme, are they traded away or cut so soon? Instead of being "coached"?Shouldn't that be more of an indictment on the coach rather than the talent?#NotForLong

Sad state of affairs.....

Too much being taken out of Preseason. The offense will look average once Glenn is back and the Bills start using Roll Outs and Play Action more frequently

This offense would do well to look average.

We zig, then we zag. Im all for walking the line in all three phases. Better question is, you say its coaches, not talent. I get that. But why in the world can't coaches teach TO talent? Meaning why if a "talent" cant/dont fit scheme, are they traded away or cut so soon? Instead of being "coached"?Shouldn't that be more of an indictment on the coach rather than the talent?#NotForLong

Sad state of affairs.....

Players should be asked to do what they do well. Not to fit into schemes revolving around things they don't do well.

It will be average. Obviously the Bills have been keeping the play calling vanilla. One thing you aren't seeing is Tyrod moving out of the pocket.... he isn't a pocket passer... so this kind of reminds me of when Rex threw Darby out there in preseason and he looked terrible. They aren't playing towards Tyrod's strengths on purpose. During the season you'll see Tyrod out of the pocket often.

Great coaches adapt to the talent on the roster. Every player in the NFL is talented. Its up too the coaches to develop and put those guys in the right position. if we had kept the same system as last year, with Sammy back healthy, the bills would be competing for the playoffs this year. The defense has really looked good in preseason.

Every coach insists on running his scheme in spite of the personnel and learning curve associated with the switch. We had the best running game last year, but insist on switching to a zone blocking scheme this year.

Two years ago, Rex had the perfect personnel for a 4-3 defense (that was #4 defense in the NFL the year prior), but insisted on dropping pass rushers into coverage in his 3-4 defense.

It seems it would be easier for an intelligent coach to adapt to an existing effective system than to teach 53 players the new coach's system. Just my 2¢.

FP

Jimmys and Joes beat X's and O's.

So true 26. Every guy is so enamored with his prescious system.

It will be average. Obviously the Bills have been keeping the play calling vanilla. One thing you aren't seeing is Tyrod moving out of the pocket.... he isn't a pocket passer... so this kind of reminds me of when Rex threw Darby out there in preseason and he looked terrible. They aren't playing towards Tyrod's strengths on purpose. During the season you'll see Tyrod out of the pocket often.

The defenses they've faced have been vanilla as well. You'd think they could manage to look competent running a few basic plays. I'm not sure I would give this staff so much credit that they will know what to do with Taylor or put him in good situations . I think it's sink or swim for TT in their vaunted " system" .

Every coach insists on running his scheme in spite of the personnel and learning curve associated with the switch. We had the best running game last year, but insist on switching to a zone blocking scheme this year.

Two years ago, Rex had the perfect personnel for a 4-3 defense (that was #4 defense in the NFL the year prior), but insisted on dropping pass rushers into coverage in his 3-4 defense.

It seems it would be easier for an intelligent coach to adapt to an existing effective system than to teach 53 players the new coach's system. Just my 2¢.

FP

Coaches are often more arrogant than the players. Inferiority complex or something

So true 26. Every guy is so enamored with his prescious system.

The defenses they've faced have been vanilla as well. You'd think they could manage to look competent running a few basic plays. I'm not sure I would give this staff so much credit that they will know what to do with Taylor or put him in good situations . I think it's sink or swim for TT in their vaunted " system" .

Coaches are often more arrogant than the players. Inferiority complex or something

Do you expect coaches to come in and try something they have never done? Not every coach is as knowledgeable as a common bills fan when it comes to football.

I would not be as concerned about the offense during preseason if I knew they were practicing their actual playbook in closed sessions.

Seems like the training camp schedule did not leave much time for "closed sessions" where the public and media could not attend.

Can anyone confirm that they had lots of closed session practices during camp?

It isn't just coaching either, its the entire organization but mainly coaching with schemes that align with roster talent and capabilities and roster management / player acquisition.

if we kept the same offense in place i could imagine a scenario where we would have made the playoffs this year. our offense wasn't half bad and they had 2 years exp running it. but as luck would have it Lynn went to LA and we started over from scratch and fired everyone. by blowing it up and getting a terrible offensive coordinator we are basically destroying our season. i said it when they hired Dennison. Tyrod was either going to be completely incapable of running this offense or it would force him to actually make throws on time. Tyrod simply can't run this offense and now we are suffering

The problem hasn't been the play calling. The problem has been the O-Line is being destroyed. So how do you stop that? Play action and moving your QB out of the pocket. The Bills haven't done that at all this preseason.

its both, lack of good coaching and a lack of talent.

Hate to break it to the Buffalo fans that severly overrate the talent on the team, but the Bills havent had good talent across the board in ages. Talent = throughout the roster, not just a couple big name players. That is why they fail to make the playoffs.

You need talent at spots 2, 3, 4 on the depth chart of each position because of the nature of injuries in the NFL. Having a shiny toy at #1 doesn't help you win consistently.

Too much being taken out of Preseason. The offense will look average once Glenn is back and the Bills start using Roll Outs and Play Action more frequently

Preseason performance is a huge concern. Do you really think this team won't be that far off from what Preseason is displaying? Tyrod don't get the ball out in time, the blocking is atrocious, the run game is going backwards, and our receivers are not getting separation all basic stuff and you don't think there's cause for concern because it's Preseason? It's hard to even know what the offensive line will look like.

Okay. After 17 years of no playoffs, I am now convinced that in the past 11 of them, it has been entirely the coaching and not the talent. Since Jauron, we have managed to have a playoff caliber team on one side of the ball every year, but can't put it together

06-09 Jauron/Fewell defense solid each year, offense is totally inept.

10-12 Gailey puts up a solid offense despite lack of talent, yet talent filled defense is flat out awful (Wannstedt's year being the worst)

13-14 Defense good again - Pettine/Schwarz. Enter Nathaniel Hackett - ugly, ugly, ugly

15-16 Offense again playoff caliber in spite of average QB, Rex - what have you done to our defense...

17 Looks like the Defense will be good again, but what happened to our offense (mostly the same talent as last year). Dennison is not picking the right plays to exploit our players. (reckon it is only pre-season, but I see the outcome already)

I am not saying that in any of the years we had an unbelievable talent on either side of the ball, but the talent was always good enough to get 10-11 wins and make the playoffs with decent coaching. Why is it that we can only ever get one side right? Tyrod might not be great, but you stick him in the offense we ran the past two years under Roman/Lynn and we are a playoff team with this defense.

Can someone please explain to me why we can't get this right?

The Buffalo Bills are like my golf game, never are all 3 phases good at the same time (Off/Def/ST vs Tee/Chipping/Putt). Often when I am golfing 2 might be doing good (usually 1 real good, and 1 ok), and one doing just awful enough to keep my score meh. And changes from round to round lol or even hole to hole. I can crush a drive then duff a chip. Or screw my drive up then hit a dart up onto the green.

Like the Bills...often, 2 phases will usually be just ok to good but the 3rd phase is so bad it keeps us from the playoffs. But its worse with the Bills, because that good unit or 2 also keeps us from being bad enough to get a really high draft pick and end up between 9 and 16 usually in the draft.