Assuming we draft a QB next year...

McNubbins

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darnold will probably go to the Jets. Whoever drafts 2nd will foolishly draft Rosen. I like Allen and depending on our record we need to move up to 3rd to get Josh Allen. That would be my strategy. And don't stop listening to offers for TT before his final year is up.

But would you put him in at 1 right away? Roll the dice? Or have him sit behind Tyrod or Peterman?

It's a hypothetical. What would your strategy be?

Who declares? Who stays in school? Where do the Bills draft in the 1st round? Who finishes ahead of the Bills with a need for a QB? How NFL ready is the guy that we draft? Is Tyrod still around? Can Peterman be a reliable starter in the NFL?

Too many variables to even consider the questions posed.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

It's a hypothetical. What would your strategy be?

...post your strategy FIRST to initiate the discussion.....no one knows if you want to trade up for #1, ...or if you're comfortable with Buffalo's two 1sts regardless of #.......who you would target and why.........need some direction here...

But would you put him in at 1 right away? Roll the dice? Or have him sit behind Tyrod or Peterman?

I'd have him SIT for 1 year and learn Dennison's system behind Peterman. It also allows us to evaluate NP's skills while Allen develops. I think Peterman will be an amazing backup but aside from a miracle and we have a shot at Darnold, Allen has to be the realistic target.

I like to make the guy earn it a bit. Even if that means competing with Peterman or a journeyman.

Winston had glennon, Mariota had mettenberger, Wentz had bradford/daniel, Goff had keenum, Bortles had Henne etc... It's their job to lose, but the other guy wants it just as badly so it helps push the player.

Edited by dneveu

Depends a lot on who we draft. Some guys are pro-ready, while others need some time to cook. For example, 550 was saying that Kizer might be starting, not just because Osweiler and Kessler are that bad, but also because he is seen as more pro-ready.

Note: more pro-ready does not mean higher ceiling. Usually the opposite.

I like to make the guy earn it a bit. Even if that means competing with Peterman or a journeyman.

Winston had glennon, Mariota had mettenberger, Wentz had bradford/daniel, Goff had keenum, Bortles had Henne etc... It's their job to lose, but the other guy wants it just as badly so it helps push the player.

Agree that no one should be handed the QB job, or any position job for that matter.

...NOT a proponent of throwing a kid who is "ready (by whose account)" to the wolves.......sure Losman is a sore spot in Buffalo lore, but give me a nanosecond......2004 draft "experts" tabbed him as the "heir apparent gunslinger to Favre going to the Pack" in the draft (google it).....Donohole gives up a ton to move in front of Pack to select Losman......to save his skin and justify his "THANSKGIVING", Losman starts prematurely and you know the rest....we will never know if the results under different circumstances would have been the same, better or maybe even worse....but the point is selection AND circumstances including the MAJOR aspect of coaching grooming are also a big part of the equation IMO....

Depends a lot on who we draft. Some guys are pro-ready, while others need some time to cook. For example, 550 was saying that Kizer might be starting, not just because Osweiler and Kessler are that bad, but also because he is seen as more pro-ready.

Note: more pro-ready does not mean higher ceiling. Usually the opposite.

Agree that no one should be handed the QB job, or any position job for that matter.

A lot of these guys are coming from spread and air-raid type systems. Allen had a Comp% under 60 in the... whatever conference Wyoming plays in. Let them get their feet wet in practice and pre-season and take your time getting them up to speed.

Draft also a stud RT and possibly another interesting offensive weapon as well as sure up the defensive interior. Then I am letting Peterman and rookie to both learn together and also compete for the starting job. The cream will rise to the top. Competition will do that. If it looks too close to call, you probably do sit the rookie for a while and only play him if Peterman really struggles.

I really can see us doing something similar to this.JMO