I see a difference

T-Bomb

I don't normally pay too much attention to player interviews during pre-season, but I am noticing a difference between the McBeane players and previous regimes' players in terms of speaking ability. Two players in particular that strike me as better speakers are Zay Jones and Jordan Matthews. I know this doesn't mean they are more intelligent, therefore they will be better players, but I can't help but feel that way when I hear them speak.

It's a far cry from listening to Leodis talk.

In fact, there was a Bills CB a while ago who had one the best/most awful quotes ever, something along the lines of "we has to better preparate ourselves" Wish I could remember who it was, think he played in the early 2000's.

It might be wishful thinking on my part that this translates to more wins, but I like the shift in types of guys the Bills want to fill their roster with.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't normally pay too much attention to player interviews during pre-season, but I am noticing a difference between the McBeane players and previous regimes' players in terms of speaking ability. Two players in particular that strike me as better speakers are Zay Jones and Jordan Matthews. I know this doesn't mean they are more intelligent, therefore they will be better players, but I can't help but feel that way when I hear them speak.

In fact, there was a Bills CB a while ago who had one the best/most awful quotes ever, something along the lines of "we has to better preparate ourselves" Wish I could remember who it was, think he played in the early 2000's.

It might be wishful thinking on my part that this translates to more wins, but I like the shift in types of guys the Bills want to fill their roster with.

I'm sure Zay and JMatt would be positively delighted to hear about how they're so "well-spoken" and "articulate".

I'm sure Zay and JMatt would be positively delighted to hear about how they're so "well-spoken" and "articulate".

Ah see, I didn't say the derogatory term "articulate", you did.

I also didn't call them "fine young men".

IMO, they just seem smarter. "Patriots smarter" I hope.

Edited by T-Bomb

Never paid too much attention to how articulate a player is. Remember the character Alvin Mack in the movie The Program. The guy wasn't the brightest bulb but knew the playback front to back. Not saying that's the norm, just saying that just because a players speech isn't proper doesn't mean it translates to poor play on the field.

That being said the Ellis Lankster post game interview is an instant classic and a perfect example of which players on your team not to let get behind a mic.

Ah see, I didn't say the derogatory term "articulate", you did.

I also didn't call them "fine young men".

IMO, they just seem smarter. "Patriots smarter" I hope.

Its not a derogatory term.

The next time someone starts a thread commenting on how Nathan Peterman and Eric Wood are so well-spoken will be the first time.

Its not a derogatory term.

The next time someone starts a thread commenting on how Nathan Peterman and Eric Wood are so well-spoken will be the first time.

It most definitely is a derogatory term. "articulate fine young man" was what most if not all of the FO ppl used to use back in the 90's-early 2000's when talking about black players, yet they used the term intelligent when talking about white players... Why? I used to cringe/laugh at that every time I heard it. It was so obvious...

I dunno, just compare Sammy to Zay Jones, I personally get the impression Jones is a smarter dude. I hope that helps the team in the long run in some way.

Edited by T-Bomb

Sammy wasn't very articulate either.

Sammy to me was the worst of the team... Leodis may have mumbled his words but at least answered the question correctly. Sammy on the other hand be like:

Reporter: Sammy how's the foot feeling?

Sammy: Well uhhhhh you know uhhhh we just gotta come to practice and get mental reps.

R: So would you say you're almost 100%?

S: Uhhhh you know uhhhh like coach says, selfishness only hurts the team you know? But you gotta get the ball in your playmakers hands.

Wasn't Ryan Fitzpatrick from Harvard? If it only translated to wins.