Mahomes is looking good

1billsfan

Whaley had an irrational reluctance to seriously address the qb issue. The irony is that (many reports) he wanted to draft Mahomes with last year's first round pick. The problem was that he lost his authority to make the selections to the wrestling coach. When all is said and done dithering is not a strategy that leads to success.

Will McDermott use his draft assets to draft a high end qb prospect next year? I get the sense that he will. We shall see.

If Whaley wanted Mahomes then I know we made the right choice passing on him. Does that inspire confidence in you or something? Whaley loves cannon arms with zero mechanics.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whaley had an irrational reluctance to seriously address the qb issue. The irony is that (many reports) he wanted to draft Mahomes with last year's first round pick. The problem was that he lost his authority to make the selections to the wrestling coach. When all is said and done dithering is not a strategy that leads to success.

Will McDermott use his draft assets to draft a high end qb prospect next year? I get the sense that he will. We shall see.

Do you have any links to these reports. I'm not saying I don't believe you or anything like that. I have just been hearing some around here say this for a while and have never seen any links to confirm it. I have tried looking myself on a few different occasions and haven't been able to find anything. I am just curious to read theses reports is all.

All the reports I could find, or remember, were about him supposedly being "in love" with deshaun Watson before the draft.

The only thing I could find about him and Mahomes were those reports about him not drafting Mahomes being the last straw that led to his firing (which I think is total BS).

Another way to look at this as a glass half full for Bufallo at least would be that at least you also passed on Watson. (go watch his pre season games. WATSON is the one read guy who was propped up by the talent around him and the simple scheme he played in......and it's obvious when you watch him stare down his target, not look anywhere else, then bail out. In the case where the target is open, the pass is usually not accurate. In the case where he bails and looks downfield, the throw is not accurate, and in the case where he just runs...he does have some wheels..but that isn't a winning combo in the NFL)

DAKgJRRV0AAAq_O.jpg

This is from the Texans war room when they were about to pick Watson...you can see that Either Rick Smith was guilty of letting the fart in there, or his coaches and staff were not stoked about the pick.

If Whaley wanted Mahomes then I know we made the right choice passing on him. Does that inspire confidence in you or something? Whaley loves cannon arms with zero mechanics.

Only time will tell whether passing on him was the right course of action but I would have been ecstatic with a Mahomes selection. It's obvious that KC's coach, Reid, saw that he was a qb worth investing in.

Only time will tell whether passing on him was the right course of action but I would have been ecstatic with a Mahomes selection. It's obvious that KC's coach, Reid, saw that he was a qb worth investing in.

Reid also gave Alex Smith 4 years as the unquestioned starter. After year 2 they missed the playoffs and Smith had performed very mediocre. So if we're doing things exactly like Reid did we should give Tyrod another 2 years as the starter before drafting someone... I'm not saying I ageee with that but that's what he did.

Ive seen mahomes go thru progressions in college tape and NFL preseason. The arm talent is undeniable, he just needs to work on mechanics and hes already got that back leg to calm down. I wudnt be surprised if he starts in another year or two

The mechanics issue is often the chicken and egg syndrome. A lot of QBs who seem to lose their mechanics a lot don't have bad mechanics, it's their bad decision making that causes the bad mechanics, not the bad mechanics that causes the bad throw. EJ had decent mechanics, but he was uncomfortable in the pocket, so when he felt any rush, he panicked as he made a decision to throw. That caused him to not only look bad but throw horribly inaccurate. But it wasn't because he needed to be taught better mechanics, he needed to be taught not to panic.

Mahomes makes a lot of bad decisions because his heroic arm can't cash checks his hair-trigger brain writes. So it looks like he has bad mechanics but it's really bad synapse.

The mechanics issue is often the chicken and egg syndrome. A lot of QBs who seem to lose their mechanics a lot don't have bad mechanics, it's their bad decision making that causes the bad mechanics, not the bad mechanics that causes the bad throw. EJ had decent mechanics, but he was uncomfortable in the pocket, so when he felt any rush, he panicked as he made a decision to throw. That caused him to not only look bad but throw horribly inaccurate. But it wasn't because he needed to be taught better mechanics, he needed to be taught not to panic.

Mahomes makes a lot of bad decisions because his heroic arm can't cash checks his hair-trigger brain writes. So it looks like he has bad mechanics but it's really bad synapse.

Theres a lot of throws he wont get away with in the NFL youre right about that but good decision making can be coached up in certain qbs. Look at peyton mannings 1st season as an example. Ill bet you mahkmes becomes a solid to very good qb in a couple years

Do you have any links to these reports. I'm not saying I don't believe you or anything like that. I have just been hearing some around here say this for a while and have never seen any links to confirm it. I have tried looking myself on a few different occasions and haven't been able to find anything. I am just curious to read theses reports is all.

All the reports I could find, or remember, were about him supposedly being "in love" with deshaun Watson before the draft.

The only thing I could find about him and Mahomes were those reports about him not drafting Mahomes being the last straw that led to his firing (which I think is total BS).

I did do some searches and the story is really not clear. Some stories indicated that the owner wanted Mahomes, and there were stories that indicated that Whaley had some influence in the draft and there were more stories that McDermott was making the selections. I read some links that KC's Reid was pushing hard to make a deal with Whaley prior to the draft. So a fairer way for me to describe the situation is that I can't say for sure. What makes it difficult to make a determination is that behind the scenes it was evident that Whaley's voice was not the loudest and that McDermott was selected by the owner as the designated voice for the football operation.

What's clear in doing the searches is that Reid was willing to go all out for Mahomes. My position is that we should have selected Mahomes with our first round pick. As I said in another post to Happy Days only time will tell if it was the right decision.

Reid also gave Alex Smith 4 years as the unquestioned starter. After year 2 they missed the playoffs and Smith had performed very mediocre. So if we're doing things exactly like Reid did we should give Tyrod another 2 years as the starter before drafting someone... I'm not saying I ageee with that but that's what he did.

Every team has it owns situation to deal with. So using the KC template shouldn't be relevant to Buffalo's situation. The primary issue for me is getting a legitimate franchise qb prospect in our pipeline sooner rather than later. Taylor is a presentable bridge qb. Nothing more, at least to me.

Theres a lot of throws he wont get away with in the NFL youre right about that but good decision making can be coached up in certain qbs. Look at peyton mannings 1st season as an example. Ill bet you mahkmes becomes a solid to very good qb in a couple years

Yep. There is not a person in the world who knows for sure if Mahomes will be able to harness that immense talent of his and be a reliable NFL QB. I really like him and think he has as good a shot as any. People say he is coachable but I'm sure his college coaches were yelling at him all the time to not be so dumb sometimes.

Again, I really like him. I think less than 50% of first round QBs turn out to be any good but he has all the tools and then some.

Every team has it owns situation to deal with. So using the KC template shouldn't be relevant to Buffalo's situation. The primary issue for me is getting a legitimate franchise qb prospect in our pipeline sooner rather than later. Taylor is a presentable bridge qb. Nothing more, at least to me.

Reid passed on Derek Carr and Deshaun Watson. He is not a QB expert like you make him out to be. And I don't believe in taking a QB just to take one. That's how you get an EJ Manuel in the 1st round.

Another way to look at this as a glass half full for Bufallo at least would be that at least you also passed on Watson. (go watch his pre season games. WATSON is the one read guy who was propped up by the talent around him and the simple scheme he played in......and it's obvious when you watch him stare down his target, not look anywhere else, then bail out. In the case where the target is open, the pass is usually not accurate. In the case where he bails and looks downfield, the throw is not accurate, and in the case where he just runs...he does have some wheels..but that isn't a winning combo in the NFL)

DAKgJRRV0AAAq_O.jpg

This is from the Texans war room when they were about to pick Watson...you can see that Either Rick Smith was guilty of letting the fart in there, or his coaches and staff were not stoked about the pick.

I couldn't disagree with you more about Watson and there is a picture of Billy O after Watson's first pre-season game that tells a very different story.

Deshaun is gonna be a good quaterback in this league and there are more NFL concepts in the Clemson offense than in the Texas Tech offense.

....strange though (whoever picked 'em) that BOTH big body/big arm QB projects of OBD are now #2's on their respective club's final 53 (EJ & Cardale).......kind of defines the state of the NFL QB talent pool....

Yep. There is not a person in the world who knows for sure if Mahomes will be able to harness that immense talent of his and be a reliable NFL QB. I really like him and think he has as good a shot as any. People say he is coachable but I'm sure his college coaches were yelling at him all the time to not be so dumb sometimes.

Again, I really like him. I think less than 50% of first round QBs turn out to be any good but he has all the tools and then some.

I can agree with that the stats are on youre side but when your kc and you already have a starter his upside and potential is something thats worth signing.

Reid passed on Derek Carr and Deshaun Watson. He is not a QB expert like you make him out to be. And I don't believe in taking a QB just to take one. That's how you get an EJ Manuel in the 1st round.

Right i also wonder if we had the right staff and roster to develop him properly. I think kc does and in that alone makes signing him a good idea thats worth a shot. Well know in 2 years.

Ive seen mahomes go thru progressions in college tape and NFL preseason. The arm talent is undeniable, he just needs to work on mechanics and hes already got that back leg to calm down. I wudnt be surprised if he starts in another year or two

Marty, you wouldn't be surprised? Sounds weird.

He better start next year. I don't think you trade up for a guy if you intend to make him sit on the bench for more than one season.

I would be surprised if he isn't the starter (barring any injury of course) going into next year.