The Dilemma With Preseason Evals

I just rewatched the game on the speed DVR, and I'm going to make two points here:

1. If you aren't in the habit of re-watching Bills games you should give it a shot. I have the Directv Genie remote with the 30 second FWD button and you honestly can watch an entire game in 30 minutes. You can really observe play dynamics, track individual players and get a much better feel for the play executions, what went right and what didn't.

I have watched games in real time and then attempted to break them down afterward, then grabbed the remote and speed watched it one more time and realized I see three times as much the second time through. I don't normally go over preseason stuff, but a friend of mine is a huge Peterman fan from college and he made me do it. As you all saw, it was pretty exciting to see a green kid with that much pocket presence, a huge intangible and pretty rare. Looked better on the second viewing.

2. The more I watched, it struck me that the coaches are at such a disadvantage trying to evaluate the offensive players when we had such inconsistent O-line play. Then you have the issue of trying to evaluate WR's when their QB has no time to throw it, and even it he does get the ball off, he's an average or below average thrower etc. It's the nightmare scenario: I can only keep half of these guys but I really can't tell how well they'll do until it's real bullets with the starting team on Sunday.

So much of this job is evaluation, it struck me tonight that it's probably half the job of being a coach. Say what you want about the GM being the personnel guy, it's the coaches that control the cuts now, and it's such an inexact science.

Crazy sport.

Definitely has to be a tough job to try and evaluate certain position from that game - I'm trying not to overreact as it was just a preseason game but like you both said, the O line... just wow. I haven't re-watched the game yet but It seemed like the QB was under pressure almost every play while Philly's starting D line was in there. And forget about stopping a blitz... lol.

We are totally screwed if Cordy Glenn misses any substantial amount of time, and if Dawkins isn't able to take a big step forward to grab that RT spot. Hopefully the Vlad Ducasse experiment is over with now too.

Watching that o line, I couldn't help but wonder if the Bills have possibly the worst LT/RT combo in the entire NFL right now.

Tell you something else - I'm really missing Kouandjio at the moment. He sure would be nice to have playing LT right now. I don't quite understand why they cut him so quickly. If it was the off field incident, I don't think he was ever even charged with anything was he? You can't have an entire team of choir boys... seems like a short sighted move right now, especially considering Glenn was recovering from injury.

It was tough watching the starting offense tonight, yet I believe there is plenty of time to fix the problems we have.

Getting Cordy Glenn & Jordan Matthews back, will help a lot.

Anquan Boldin should not be running deep outside patterns.

I also really hope that sending our Fullbacks in motion is just a preseason experiment and not a major part of our offensive playbook.

I'm not going to overreact to tonight's game. There was definitely bad things to see, but there was also good things.

I'm convinced that our defense is going to be outstanding this season.

It seems last year in pre-season I recall the same identical issues, TT looked terrible, O-line was terrible. Then a funny thing happened the regular season started, and while the offense wasn't the next coming of the Greatest Show on Turf, they played respectable. I do think TT's strengths (his legs) are taken out of the pre-season so makes him look much worse, no blocking schemes attempted.

If they look like this Oct 1st, then time to worry.

Definitely has to be a tough job to try and evaluate certain position from that game - I'm trying not to overreact as it was just a preseason game but like you both said, the O line... just wow. I haven't re-watched the game yet but It seemed like the QB was under pressure almost every play while Philly's starting D line was in there. And forget about stopping a blitz... lol.

We are totally screwed if Cordy Glenn misses any substantial amount of time, and if Dawkins isn't able to take a big step forward to grab that RT spot. Hopefully the Vlad Ducasse experiment is over with now too.

Watching that o line, I couldn't help but wonder if the Bills have possibly the worst LT/RT combo in the entire NFL right now.

Tell you something else - I'm really missing Kouandjio at the moment. He sure would be nice to have playing LT right now. I don't quite understand why they cut him so quickly. If it was the off field incident, I don't think he was ever even charged with anything was he? You can't have an entire team of choir boys... seems like a short sighted move right now, especially considering Glenn was recovering from injury.

It is a bummer that their very good backup LT is gone Kouandjio. He is gone because he went bonkers. He was hospitalized for "mental issues".

If that hadn't happened, he might still be here. It wasn't chalked up to drunken Tom Foolery. Dude snapped. He's in Detroit now and he is not lighting it up there.

It seems last year in pre-season I recall the same identical issues, TT looked terrible, O-line was terrible. Then a funny thing happened the regular season started, and while the offense wasn't the next coming of the Greatest Show on Turf, they played respectable. I do think TT's strengths (his legs) are taken out of the pre-season so makes him look much worse, no blocking schemes attempted.

If they look like this Oct 1st, then time to worry.

Heard.