Can we talk about the OL?

Thurmal34

Go ****ing figure Rex's staff has a great offense and screws up the defense, whereas this staff in year one has the trajectory to be doing the complete opposite. Ravens fans were happy to see Castillo gone and his stubborn desire to keep working with Ducasse is a painfully obvious failure.

Pardon my buzzed hot take. I just can't view preseason as a grain of salt.

Dind't those great Rex Ryan offences also struggle in the preseason too? I can't remember a time when the Bills have actually looked good during the preseason?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dind't those great Rex Ryan offences also struggle in the preseason too? I can't remember a time when the Bills have actually looked good during the preseason?

Heck i cant remember the last time they looked good during the real season

They're going to have to invest some of that 2018 draft capital into the Oline...that's what has to happen.

I don't believe, like everyone else, that they are stock piling picks to use them to get a QB. I truly believe they intend to spend next years draft moving around to pick up multiple talented players, probably a WR, some linemen, and whatever the best QB they can get without giving up everything for them. Chances are they assess where they end up and whos ahead of them, then either attempt to move up a little bit with an extra pick or 2, or possibly use some of the picks to trade for someone. They know they have other areas to address and I think thats the plan, to upgrade a few spots in the next draft after assessing this years talent after a season of running their schemes

I don't believe, like everyone else, that they are stock piling picks to use them to get a QB. I truly believe they intend to spend next years draft moving around to pick up multiple talented players, probably a WR, some linemen, and whatever the best QB they can get without giving up everything for them. Chances are they assess where they end up and whos ahead of them, then either attempt to move up a little bit with an extra pick or 2, or possibly use some of the picks to trade for someone. They know they have other areas to address and I think thats the plan, to upgrade a few spots in the next draft after assessing this years talent after a season of running their schemes

And the QB is who then?

Heck i cant remember the last time they looked good during the real season

It depends on if you can look at 7-8, 8-8, or 9-8 and find good things in those years ( I personally don't see that as being bad, and some of those teams had looked good, just not good enough to make the playoffs)

And the QB is who then?

Depending on how this season plays out its impossible to know. You have no idea right now where they draft, who needs a QB next year, and where those teams end up. Like I said, they could go after someone like Cousins, or trade for someone using those picks. Just because they accumulated picks, doesn't mean that those picks will all get used to move up and take someone. No one knows which QBs will be coming out and how they look and grade out yet.

It depends on if you can look at 7-8, 8-8, or 9-8 and find good things in those years ( I personally don't see that as being bad, and some of those teams had looked good, just not good enough to make the playoffs)

Depending on how this season plays out its impossible to know. You have no idea right now where they draft, who needs a QB next year, and where those teams end up. Like I said, they could go after someone like Cousins, or trade for someone using those picks. Just because they accumulated picks, doesn't mean that those picks will all get used to move up and take someone. No one knows which QBs will be coming out and how they look and grade out yet.

They have set themselves up to get a QB in the draft everything done this offseason was about a franchise QB in 2018. Very easy to read those tea leaves

I think you are on to something here. I mean, I suspect they would spend the capital to draft theyvguybthey think is a franchise changer but short of that I think what you posit has a lot of traction. This group is looking for high quality volume on which to build a legacy. Those six pix could just as easily yield a stud DE, a cornerstone LT, a contributing DT, a promising OG, and two R3 players as one QB.

The offense may be this years 2016 version of the defense.... But the running game still looks good.

Not a fan of the timing offense with Tyrod at QB. Last years offensive design was perfect for him. And the awful Watkins trade.

I expect the offense to take a big drop off this year.

5 to 6 wins.

Wasn't Watkins hurt almost all of last season? Weren't we last in passing? If the running game still looks good then we should be improved because Zay Jones/Jordan Matthews and Anquan Boldin to me are way better than Robert Woods.Justin Hunter and Marquise Goodwin. Why would the offense take a big drop? I'm curious to hear.

Those who think Miller is the long term answer, keep in mind that his current contract expires after next season. The way this new staff has handled him and the RG position makes me think in no way that they have any loyalty to him. I wouldn't be so quick to mark him up as the long term fix.

Sure wanted to draft Cam Robinson

Of course, but the Bills prefer to draft defensive backs. They traditionally shy away from blockers.

In fact, since 1990 the Bills have drafted no less than 10 dbs in the first round. This of course does not count Darby who was our first pick but a second rounder. In the same time span they have drafted all of 4 blockers in round 1.

One would think that there would be no excuse for not drafting offensive linemen next year but I don't count on it. :(

Of course, but the Bills prefer to draft defensive backs. They traditionally shy away from blockers.

In fact, since 1990 the Bills have drafted no less than 10 dbs in the first round. This of course does not count Darby who was our first pick but a second rounder. In the same time span they have drafted all of 4 blockers in round 1.

One would think that there would be no excuse for not drafting offensive linemen next year but I don't count on it. :(

Its because of the old school philosophy that infects this front office.

They invested a 1st round pick in Wood, and 2nd round picks in Glenn and Kouandjio (gone), and a 3rd in Miller. Going back years they invested a high 1st rounder in Mike Williams but their biggest sin was not paying Jason Peters the going rate a premier LT deserved.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

They invested a 1st round pick in Wood, and 2nd round pick in Glenn and Kouandjio (gone), and a 3rd in Miller. Going back years they invested a high 1st rounder in Mike Williams but their biggest sin was not paying Jason Peters the going rate a premier LT deserved.

Your point is taken, but they also have used a lot of 2nds and 3rds on dbs 26.

Mike Williams was also a mistake. He was a RT with a bad weight problem and a chronic ankle injury coming out of college. McKinnie had his issues but he was an excellent LT. My signature in those days was "Draft McKinnie."

If the Bills decide to make the OL a priority, 2018 is the time to do so.

Your point is taken, but they also have used a lot of 2nds and 3rds on dbs 26.

Mike Williams was also a mistake. He was a RT with a bad weight problem and a chronic ankle injury coming out of college. McKinnie had his issues but he was an excellent LT. My signature in those days was "Draft McKinnie."

If the Bills decide to make the OL a priority, 2018 is the time to do so.

I'm with you on McKinnie. That's happened in the past scenarios with Whitner instead of Ngata and Maybin instead of Orakpo as examples from the top of my head.

This is a serious question from a fan who is not an expert on football...

What is the best type of QB to have to work behind an OL that is good at run blocking but very weak at pass blocking. Would a mobile QB like Tyrod be best? Or is it more about scheme (like a lot of quick slants and play action instead of downfield plays that require more time in the pocket). Against Philly, Yates looked very good when he had enough time but appeared to me to lack any awareness of pressure. It seems he'd get sacked the most out of the 3 since Peterman seems to have the best pocket presence and Tyrod could use his mobility to escape some pressure.

If the given is that the OL will continue to struggle in pass protection (I'm not optimistic that Glenn will get/stay healthy or that he is THE reason they've struggled so far), is there a best case QB "type". I know he is relatively unproven, but in just watching the two preseason games Peterman seems to have the best awareness of pressure and seems the most decisive with his reads.

On the numerous holding penalties...I guess if you have to choose between possibly getting your QB injured or holding in a preseason game the best option is holding.

Edited by rpmfla

Thin at starter, thin at backup. E Wood expires when, at the end of this year? Incognito old, Cordy's health an unknown. What is the plan for improving this group?

2018 Draft, first pick in 1st round QB, second 2nd round pick OT, and at least one other pick with the two 2nds and two thirds.

I came here to eat scrambled eggs and see dumpster fire memes and I just finished my eggs...

Seantrel is suspended for 5 games. Additionally, the last two weeks, he has shown that he should not be starting as LT. While he wasn't the only one, our pockets are collapsing before Taylor finishes his 3 step drop back. We need to bring in a body or two to help fill that position...unless Cordy is suddenly healed after the cortisone injection.

I just don't see the point of giving reps at LT to someone who isn't skilled enough to hold that position AND will miss 33% of the season.