Sammy Watkins Trade on it's own and not from a draft junkie

So what sense does it make to dump the better player at his lowest value?

You dump the QB who is average at best, and keep the guy who has Julio Jones ability and could be a building block for the future.

do you think sammy will want to wait for a new qb to develop? i think it's more likely that the bills will draft one vs trade for one. he may very well not. next year will be his opportunity to test the market, and he has a huge chance to make great money to on a team with an established qb. he may even do this to LA.

i'm not even saying the trade is right or wrong, but thinking that a new qb was going to change sammy's numbers next year isn't likely.

Gaines and Matthews are FAs at the end of the year.

People are obsessed with the draft picks which is asinine. They are getting these draft picks by TRADING TALENTED YOUNG PLAYERS.

Fans are essentially happy we traded established, young players for unkown rookies.

It's crazy.

technically it's young players for young players and draft picks. in no way were watkins and darby established.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand tanking in the context of drafts and basketball or a top 5 in Hockey. In football and for you junkies it is a crapshoot imo.

Now let a Bills fan and non draft expert give his opinion......

This trade is PATHETIC!!!!!!

Forget the Darby trade for a minute (though Mathews would have been a nice addition with Watkins) and people commenting on it as a big picture item.

Watkins was the reason I watched when he was playing. He was the #4 pick and dynamic when the Bills actually looked at him and threw him the ball.

They rolled the dice and needed to see it through.

Tired of the injury comments as while a concern he is still young.

When he played he was a top 10 talent @ wr. When thrown to, top 5......

I blamed the OC and play calling and saw Watkins woefully underutilized and now the Bills flushed him down the toilet.

17 years and no playoffs and they waved the white flag for 2017 August 11th....

Maybe Houston is taking offers for JJ Watt based on his injuries the last 2 seasons. Could the bills offer their 2nd round pick and some middling CB for him?????

We are being played for suckers.

LAMP alert! Is there a reason this needed it's own thread rather than being yet another post in the 84 page thread on the front page?

I understand tanking in the context of drafts and basketball or a top 5 in Hockey. In football and for you junkies it is a crapshoot imo.

Forget the Darby trade for a minute (though Mathews would have been a nice addition with Watkins) and people commenting on it as a big picture item.

Watkins was the reason I watched when he was playing. He was the #4 pick and dynamic when the Bills actually looked at him and threw him the ball.

I blamed the OC and play calling and saw Watkins woefully underutilized and now the Bills flushed him down the toilet.

Maybe Houston is taking offers for JJ Watt based on his injuries the last 2 seasons. Could the bills offer their 2nd round pick and some middling CB for him?????

So you're butt hurt because your favorite player got traded. I get it. Get over it. Nobody waived any white flags. Take a look at Watkins production for three years as a Bill and compare it to Mathews numbers. Mathews numbers rank him in the top 10 ALL TIME for players with 3 years in the league. We are stronger at WR because of these trades. From everything I have read, Gaines has the potential to be every bit as good or better than Darby in this scheme so we are better at CB as well. Plus add the two draft picks and we are in good position for next year's draft. These were good moves and they made us better both now and in the future. Every expert agrees on this, which is rare. So you won't have Sammy to cheer for. If you're only watching to root for one player who by the way had a lot of trouble staying on the field, then you're missing some good football.

Edited by xsoldier54

Because the last 17 years makes you so confident.

The NFL draft is a crap shoot. Coaching and skill players are what wins games.....

So tired of hearing people whine about the last 17 years. Those years are gone. Can't get them back and can't do anything about them. This is a whole new regime. New ownership, new GM and FO staff, new coach. It is not business as usual at One Bills Drive. These trades make us better both now and in the future. It is the one thing I have ever seen all of the talking heads on sports networks agree on. The Bills won big with these two deals.

Maybe Darby, but Sammy is a good one. Just needs to get targets and stay on the field.

If Goff emerges Sammy will be a star. No question in my mind.

So when we drafted Sammy to give EJ a target it was wrong, but it's right for the Rams to give a young struggling QB Sammy as a target because it will make him better.

You think you're smarter than everyone lese especially the Bills management. But you're not.

Maybe Darby, but Sammy is a good one. Just needs to get targets and stay on the field.

If Goff emerges Sammy will be a star. No question in my mind.

sammy is a great one based on potential. he really can be a superstar, and as you said, if goff gets better and sammy stays healthy, the sky's the limit. that's why it was a solid trade for the rams. trade a second for a potential superstar. that doesn't mean it was a bad trade for buffalo though. i'm of the side that it was very likely sammy was gone next year. could they have kept him if they threw money at him? probably, but at some point it's cost value. how much can we possibly spend on a wr that hovers around the 1000 yard mark? i just don't seem him putting up bigger numbers with this team over the next couple of years. he may not with the rams either depending on goff.

Wrt to top 5 recurring comment:

Top WRs in NFL...

Antonio brown

Julio Jones

Dez Bryant

OBJ

DeAndre Hopkins

Mike Evans

Larry Fitz

Doug Baldwin

Amari Cooper

AJ Green

In terms of talent, Watkins is clearly as good as everyone of these players. That's obvious. With regard to who you pay: you aren't paying for the past, you are paying for the future based upon projection. He is by all accounts healthy right now.

sammy is a great one based on potential. he really can be a superstar, and as you said, if goff gets better and sammy stays healthy, the sky's the limit. that's why it was a solid trade for the rams. trade a second for a potential superstar. that doesn't mean it was a bad trade for buffalo though. i'm of the side that it was very likely sammy was gone next year. could they have kept him if they threw money at him? probably, but at some point it's cost value. how much can we possibly spend on a wr that hovers around the 1000 yard mark? i just don't seem him putting up bigger numbers with this team over the next couple of years. he may not with the rams either depending on goff.

As Peter King wrote, blowing the team up every couple of years is profoundly dumb. That's what this organization does. As I've said before, if they go 5-11/6-10 the next two seasons, don't be surprised if the current regime is given the boot. For those who think this is crazy talk, just look at the record over the past dozen years.

Edited by dave mcbride

If the trade was based on $$ - it was only half the reason - IMHO

Sammy (shoulder, ankle, rib, groin, hip, thigh, calf, ankle, foot) Watkins had other issues that I suspect were not totally behind him.

He did admit in an ESPN interview that :

"I'm 100 percent healthy," Watkins said. "The foot thing is out the door. I probably need to get in a little bit better shape. Other than that, I'm fine."

WHY WHY WHY is he NOT IN SHAPE? FCOL

ALSO - There is the whole injury thing... http://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/sammy-watkins/6937

Edited by cd1

Confirmed people in this thread calling Sammy Watkins the #3 WR in the NFL. Also saw the claim that obtaining a CB and a high second round draft choice is trading him for peanuts while disregarding that after this season he walks and we get zero, zip, nada.

Suspect that lots of these same characters are the same ones that had a stroke when the Bills "let Gilmore go with nothing in return".

We get it, you wasted 100$ on that Watkins jersey. We all wanted better when we mortgaged the farm to trade up for him. We were really hoping for a Hall of Fame career, and a bunch of Lombardis. I know I did.

But, then he broke his foot real bad and could never play, and half the time he did he was limping around, and every time he got tackled you'd wonder if he broke his rib again, or his foot, or whatever. It wasn't much fun. He didn't, and we still don't have an elite quarterback to feed him.

If (and this is a huge if, obviously) we can use our acquired draft assets to finally land an elite-level top 10 quarterback, and if these trades gave us enough bullets in the chamber to make that happen, we'll remember this as the best thing that has happened to the franchise in decades.

I wish Sammy health and an exceptional career. But, I'll lose no sleep if he turns everything around and becomes an actual elite player, because I follow the sport closely enough to know that it wouldn't have been in Buffalo even if we did rent him for one more year.

what would you like to wager????

Come up with some reasonable way to judge the trade, and I am all in brother

I'd like to get in on this as well. Especially considering in his very own draft class Landry who was a second rounder is better than he is.

You're speaking as a homer, with Bills colored glasses on, since he was your favorite player of yours don't you think you're a bit more biased on the trade? You state you're tired of the injury comments, as a fan I was tired of the injuries and apparently the Bills front office agreed also. He was never a top 10 talent or a top 5 talent, his best season to date was 2015 where he had 60 receptions (49th in league 2015), 1,047 yards (22nd in the league in 2015), 9 TD (tied for 14th in the league 2015), he has never been in the top 10, will he be? We can't say, he has the talent for sure but has never been able to stay on the field all year long and maybe they didn't think his foot would hold up from here on out, that's just me guessing but I'm sure the injury had to be some kind of factor. Also how have we waived the white flag? Wouldn't waiving the white flag have been trading Watkins and not adding guys to replace the guys traded? People are acting as if Matthews is some scrub, the guy has all around better numbers than Watkins has so far, he's a leader and up until now durable (although he did get injured in practice). I won't act like I know everything about E.J. Gaines , I never heard of him before the trade but after reading about him , he had an excellent rookie season where he made first team all rookie honors 2 easons ago, was injured for his entire sophmore year , came back last year and struggled, he was a throw in and if he's a better fit in this scheme then we just got a steal imo. I liked both players traded but lets be honest those same players have contributed to our losing seasons either by not being available due to injury or just regressing after being very reliable as a rookie.

Want to bet Goff will look and throw at Watkins 12X's/game?

Oh my god you mean you have to pay for stars? Why?

Damn right draft junkies complain every single time about a better player taken later.

Watkins was drafted 4th, get over that trade, it was done and we saw what Watkins could do when targeted.

As for Tom Brady, what do you think would have happened if Bledsoe never got injured? Brady may never have gotten a chance or if he did, maybe on a bad team.

Look at Prescott..... If Romo wasn't injured where would he be.

We had a top 5 talent (can anyone argue that) and gave him away for little.....

Multiple things need to be considered.

No one can argue that Sammy when healthy is a top 5-10 receiver. I understand he had injuries but it seems that may be behind him. But either way that isn't grounds to get rid of him. Julio Jones, misssed similar amount of games. Remember the beginning of Eric Woods career. JJ Watt the last few years. Just doesn't make sense to get rid of someone for that.

In terms of value of the trade. We lost our true number one receiver and now have three possession receivers and two of there contracts are up at the end of the year and we will have to draft one next year. If we use that second round pick on a receiver it is a complete loss. No way that pick will be of sammys caliber.

Some argue that we will lose Sammy at the end of the season. Well we should have picked up the fifth year option for 12 million. Number two receivers going rate is 10 million per. If we would have done that it wouldn't have mattered.

Sammy will be elite and is only 24 years old. Unfortunately we will be watching him tear up the league for the next ten years wishing we could have a player of his skill set. For an unproven 2nd rounder and an injured CB.

You're speaking as a homer, with Bills colored glasses on, since he was your favorite player of yours don't you think you're a bit more biased on the trade? You state you're tired of the injury comments, as a fan I was tired of the injuries and apparently the Bills front office agreed also. He was never a top 10 talent or a top 5 talent, his best season to date was 2015 where he had 60 receptions (49th in league 2015), 1,047 yards (22nd in the league in 2015), 9 TD (tied for 14th in the league 2015), he has never been in the top 10, will he be? We can't say, he has the talent for sure but has never been able to stay on the field all year long and maybe they didn't think his foot would hold up from here on out, that's just me guessing but I'm sure the injury had to be some kind of factor. Also how have we waived the white flag? Wouldn't waiving the white flag have been trading Watkins and not adding guys to replace the guys traded? People are acting as if Matthews is some scrub, the guy has all around better numbers than Watkins has so far, he's a leader and up until now durable (although he did get injured in practice). I won't act like I know everything about E.J. Gaines , I never heard of him before the trade but after reading about him , he had an excellent rookie season where he made first team all rookie honors 2 easons ago, was injured for his entire sophmore year , came back last year and struggled, he was a throw in and if he's a better fit in this scheme then we just got a steal imo. I liked both players traded but lets be honest those same players have contributed to our losing seasons either by not being available due to injury or just regressing after being very reliable as a rookie.

Did you watch those 2 years? Barely targeted and 1,000 yards receiving and ypc near the very top. I blamed that 100% on coaching and offensive playcalling. Odell, Julio & Antonio would have been hard pressed to catch 60 passes on the Bills.

As Peter King wrote, blowing the team up every couple of years is profoundly dumb. That's what this organization does. As I've said before, if they go 5-11/6-10 the next two seasons, don't be surprised if the current regime is given the boot. For those who think this is crazy talk, just look at the record over the past dozen years.

this is why they're making the moves they are now, (i think). this team has to be re-established, get a new qb, and grow. it just depends if mcd and bean are the right guys to do it. if they are, the constant turnover stops. i'd be very surprised if this management was gone after 2 years, no matter what happens. to quote the past 12 years doesn't mean anything to me. different team with different heads not. i'm not going to blame what happened over 17 years on the new bosses.

Your entitled. I disagree.

Like I said, if given the targets and balls thrown his way(as we saw a bit Thursday night) he will be a STUD for a long time.

i think we're saying the same thing. he can be great, but it depends on health and the qb. right now i'm not sure either are going his way for him. not that they can't, but he has to show the nfl he can.

Want to bet Goff will look and throw at Watkins 12X's/game?

Yes, I would like to bet that Sammy Watkins doesn't get targeted 192 times next year.

Am willing to bet up to $5000, but will need to escrow to a trusted third party. Please quote this post to confirm your desire to wager.