Sammy will be a free agent. If healthy get him back.

Cherrybone

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Facts: Matthews has accumulated more numbers as a result of playing in 9 more games. Matthews will be a FA at the end of this year. Sammy outproduced Matthews is the 1st two seasons of their respective careers. Players get hurt just like Matthews is now. Sammy is by far the more talented and dynamic game changing player by the numbers.

i won't deny that Sammy has more potential. But that means nothing. The fact is he's consistently been hurt or injured more and there has played less and can be relied on less.

Yes, Mathews is a FA at the end of the year. The difference is, we have draft picks in the event that we don't resign either Mathews or Gaines. The Rams and Eagles have absolutely nothing going forward if they cannot resign them. You can mention the franchise tag but that goes for both teams of the trade.

I still find it funny that as a fact. If their careers were over tomorrow, Mathews will go out with a better career based on actual, factual statistics. But you and many others want to keep making arguments for Sammy based on future production and potential for that. But that's not a given.

i won't deny that Sammy has more potential. But that means nothing. The fact is he's consistently been hurt or injured more and there has played less and can be relied on less.

Yes, Mathews is a FA at the end of the year. The difference is, we have draft picks in the event that we don't resign either Mathews or Gaines. The Rams and Eagles have absolutely nothing going forward if they cannot resign them. You can mention the franchise tag but that goes for both teams of the trade.

I still find it funny that as a fact. If their careers were over tomorrow, Mathews will go out with a better career based on actual, factual statistics. But you and many others want to keep making arguments for Sammy based on future production and potential for that. But that's not a given.

Matthews is a good player as a possession receiver. No denying that, but I'd take Sammy Watkins every day of the week and it's football so nothing is guaranteed when it comes to health, but things are looking good.

@viccarucci

My #Bills camp superlatives: McCoy, Peterman & Yarbrough sparkle

http://buffalonews.c...brough-sparkle/

*Wide receiver: Sammy Watkins. Yes, I know he's no longer on the team, but he participated in most of the camp practices before the Bills traded him to the Los Angeles Rams last Friday. And he was easily better than any receiver on the roster through most of those workouts (newcomers Anquan Boldin and Jordan Matthews either didn't practice with him much or at all, so they aren't being factored into this assessment). Having finally recovered from the foot surgery he underwent in January, Watkins ran well and used his athleticism to the fullest to gain separation and make plays. He repeatedly out-jumped defenders for difficult catches of throws that were over his head. The Bills are going to miss the guy who showed up for camp.

The Bills are going to miss the guy who showed up for camp.[/b][/color]

On the other hand they won't miss the guy that missed 8 games last year. 3 games the year before that. And numerous game where he didn't produce at all because he was too hurt to actually do anything on the field.

They will also like the fact they have an additional 2nd rounder next draft for a guy that wasn't going to resign here anyway after the season.

You'd take Sammy and I'd take Mathews. I'd rather go with actual production than potential only 60% of the time. You have to be able to count on your players.

Let's make a bet. Assuming both players play healthy, which I believe both will because they are in contract years. Whoevers player puts up better numbers, the loser has to take the winner out to dinner. Reasonably priced. Not McDonalds, but not Peter Lugers. Somewhere in between. I'll gladly look across the table from you and watch you eat your $50 steak if I'm wrong. If Mathews outperforms Sammy, you return the favor.

However, if Watkins gets hurt, again, and you cannot compare, I will not expect my dinner, just a "you were right" would do it.

Yeah I already did it once:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/sammy-watkins-to-bills-youre-making-me-look-bad-target-me-more/

"That's what I get mad at," Watkins said, "when I don't get looked at. I can look at film and his eyes go straight that way and I'm not getting looked at, at all. That's when I get frustrated. When I have one-on-one coverage, go to me. I don't care what's going on over there. I don't care if he's open. When I get one on one, just target me."

Another fantastic Sammy quote:

You're making me look bad and you're making yourself look bad.

Heres another to which he advocated getting 15-20 targets a game eeven though the Bills only passed the ball 465 times that year or 29 times a game.

So he wants 52%-69% off all pass attempts thrown his way?

"For a guy you go up in the draft to take as your No. 1 receiver, you would love those 15 targets that Julio [Jones] gets, those 20 targets that Odell [beckham Jr.] gets," he told the newspaper. "Of course I'd have 100 yards every game and a TD, if I'm getting 20 targets."http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/13896976/sammy-watkins-tells-buffalo-bills-making-look-bad-lack-targets

For reference OBJ had 158 targets of the 584 (games played adjusted) targets which is 27% of his teams passes of his iffense.

Consequently Sammy watkins received 25.4% of the targets on average per the 13 games he played in 2015 or 96 out of 377.8 of his offense.

On the other hand they won't miss the guy that missed 8 games last year. 3 games the year before that. And numerous game where he didn't produce at all because he was too hurt to actually do anything on the field.

They will also like the fact they have an additional 2nd rounder next draft for a guy that wasn't going to resign here anyway after the season.

You'd take Sammy and I'd take Mathews. I'd rather go with actual production than potential only 60% of the time. You have to be able to count on your players.

Let's make a bet. Assuming both players play healthy, which I believe both will because they are in contract years. Whoevers player puts up better numbers, the loser has to take the winner out to dinner. Reasonably priced. Not McDonalds, but not Peter Lugers. Somewhere in between. I'll gladly look across the table from you and watch you eat your $50 steak if I'm wrong. If Mathews outperforms Sammy, you return the favor.

However, if Watkins gets hurt, again, and you cannot compare, I will not expect my dinner, just a "you were right" would do it.

You can have your accumulator and I'll take the dynamic playmaker who dictates coverage and makes explosive plays. Funny how the durable Matthews couldn't make through one practice before getting injured. I don't know why people like you keep posting that Sammy wasn't going to re-sign (not resign dammit) with the Bills when there's nothing to base that on and who's to say that Matthews will sign an extension with the Bills.

He was among the best if not the best receiver in the game the last 8 games of 2015.

He had a serious foot injury last season that from all accounts is now 100%. He was going to produce big time this year, IMO.

You keep him from FA next year by picking up his option.

Not sure who you've been watching the past dozen plus years, but this regime has been a mess for a longgg time. A couple of newbies doesn't change that until the results on the field change.

Wow. An eight game run two seasons ago. You've just proved my point. No one knows if his foot is fully healed and whether or not it can stand the rigors of a full season. It's certainly a risk. And until he can produce consistently he is what he is: A highly talented, but under productive WR.

You can have your accumulator and I'll take the dynamic playmaker who dictates coverage and makes explosive plays. Funny how the durable Matthews couldn't make through one practice before getting injured. I don't know why people like you keep posting that Sammy wasn't going to re-sign (not resign dammit) with the Bills when there's nothing to base that on and who's to say that Matthews will sign an extension with the Bills.

thanks for being the grammar police. SDS, we found someone to add to the moderator team.

Who is to say he wouldn't re-sign? I already said I don't care if Mathews re-signs. The fact is you got a 2nd round pick when you wouldn't have had it. You ended up with a WR that has produced more numbers than your beloved Sammy has for this season.

It's funny how Sammy has never EVER not had some kind of ailment since being in the Bills. First it was his ribs, then he had leg and foot problems that lasted over a full season.

Put your money where your mouth is big shot. Take me up on my bet

Wow. An eight game run two seasons ago. You've just proved my point. No one knows if his foot is fully healed and whether or not it can stand the rigors of a full season. It's certainly a risk. And until he can produce consistently he is what he is: A highly talented, but under productive WR.

He played in 29 of 32 games in his 1st two seasons with over 2000 yards and 15 TDs in run oriented offenses under Hackett and Roman. Is that under productive? The fact that he's had a 2nd surgery to correct the Jones fracture (just like Julio Jones, Dez Bryant, and Julian Edelman) and being able to go full bore in camp bodes well for him.

thanks for being the grammar police. SDS, we found someone to add to the moderator team.

Who is to say he wouldn't re-sign? I already said I don't care if Mathews re-signs. The fact is you got a 2nd round pick when you wouldn't have had it. You ended up with a WR that has produced more numbers than your beloved Sammy has for this season.

It's funny how Sammy has never EVER not had some kind of ailment since being in the Bills. First it was his ribs, then he had leg and foot problems that lasted over a full season.

Put your money where your mouth is big shot. Take me up on my bet

I'm on the record just as you are. No need for any wager. We'll see who's right and revisit the subject later because I'm not going anywhere. BTW, !@#$ a 2nd round pick!

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

If the acquired pick in the trade is used in a deal to move up to acquire a better qb prospect then the deal would be well worth it. As I stated in a response to Kirby it was apparent that Watkins was going to be moved after he was not tendered. With the current qb and the expected design of the offense the dispatched receiver was not going to have a team impact commensurate with his talents. I also got the sense that of his own volition he preferred moving on to a team that could better utilized him, just like Gilmore.

If the acquired pick in the trade is used in a deal to move up to acquire a better qb prospect then the deal would be well worth it. As I stated in a response to Kirby it was apparent that Watkins was going to be moved after he was not tendered. With the current qb and the expected design of the offense the dispatched receiver was not going to have a team impact commensurate with his talents. I also got the sense that of his own volition he preferred moving on to a team that could better utilized him, just like Gilmore.

Firstly, I believe they already had enough ammo between assets in '18 (and '19 if necessary) to acquire the QB prospect.

Secondly, I'm not so convinced of that when I look at guys like Andre Johnson and Demaryius Thomas who enjoyed tremendous success in as #1 WRs this style of offense.

Finally, the point I keep making is that if the plan is, as it seems, to acquire a potential franchise QB then it is smart to retain a 24 year old dynamic game changing receiver in anticipation of that.

Shortsighted trade IMO.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

You don't need to trade Sammy Watkins to draft a QB.

End of story.

You might need the pick received in the trade to get the qb you want.

If the organization felt that Watkins was not going to re-sign then the deal made sense, at least to me.

Right, Uber talented guy that's 24 and had a little bad luck with an injury? Who looks healthy now? Why would we want that? Not happening anyways

5 picks and a healthy Watkins even better thou

So many people infatuated with Sissy Watchkins. Nothing but a waste of two number one picks. Uber talented?? Perhaps in college...nothing but uber injured in the NFL.

Edited by Azucho98

He played in 29 of 32 games in his 1st two seasons with over 2000 yards and 15 TDs in run oriented offenses under Hackett and Roman. Is that under productive? The fact that he's had a 2nd surgery to correct the Jones fracture (just like Julio Jones, Dez Bryant, and Julian Edelman) and being able to go full bore in camp bodes well for him.

I'm on the record just as you are. No need for any wager. We'll see who's right and revisit the subject later because I'm not going anywhere. BTW, !@#$ a 2nd round pick!

hes not even on the same level of Amy of those receivers numbers wise.

But believe what you want. While we're revisiting the subject later I'd like to add in Mathews plus what we get for the picknwe acquired for Sammy.

And Tom Brady was a 6th rounder.

hes not even on the same level of Amy of those receivers numbers wise.

But believe what you want. While we're revisiting the subject later I'd like to add in Mathews plus what we get for the picknwe acquired for Sammy.

And Tom Brady was a 6th rounder.

Wrong yet again fish breath! Compares favorably comparably to Jones after three years:

DHZVep8XgAA7xpQ.jpg

Factor in Sammy's numbers being generated with EJ, Orton, and Tyrod as his QBs.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Wrong yet again fish breath! Compares favorably to Jones after three years:

DHZVep8XgAA7xpQ.jpg

Look, I think you know I don't bash Sammy or anything, but those stats aren't favorable. They're comparable, I suppose. but in 3 more games he had fewer targets, fewer catches, fewer yards, and fewer TDs. That isn't favorable.

Look, I think you know I don't bash Sammy or anything, but those stats aren't favorable. They're comparable, I suppose. but in 3 more games he had fewer targets, fewer catches, fewer yards, and fewer TDs. That isn't favorable.

You're right. A better word is comparable.

Yeah I already did it once:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/sammy-watkins-to-bills-youre-making-me-look-bad-target-me-more/

"That's what I get mad at," Watkins said, "when I don't get looked at. I can look at film and his eyes go straight that way and I'm not getting looked at, at all. That's when I get frustrated. When I have one-on-one coverage, go to me. I don't care what's going on over there. I don't care if he's open. When I get one on one, just target me."

Another fantastic Sammy quote:

You're making me look bad and you're making yourself look bad.

Heres another to which he advocated getting 15-20 targets a game eeven though the Bills only passed the ball 465 times that year or 29 times a game.

So he wants 52%-69% off all pass attempts thrown his way?

"For a guy you go up in the draft to take as your No. 1 receiver, you would love those 15 targets that Julio [Jones] gets, those 20 targets that Odell [beckham Jr.] gets," he told the newspaper. "Of course I'd have 100 yards every game and a TD, if I'm getting 20 targets."http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/13896976/sammy-watkins-tells-buffalo-bills-making-look-bad-lack-targets

For reference OBJ had 158 targets of the 584 (games played adjusted) targets which is 27% of his teams passes of his iffense.

Consequently Sammy watkins received 25.4% of the targets on average per the 13 games he played in 2015 or 96 out of 377.8 of his offense.

I'm asking about where he said he wants the ball "at the expense of the win/loss record?" I've never seen that.