Define success: fan expectations for 2017

NoSaint

What metrics are you judging 2017 against? And do those match what you think McD and BB are using?

Are playoffs the goal based on how you view the current situation?

Are there a number of wins that would make you feel success (clearing a bar, or staying under I suppose)?

An amount of salary cap to roll over, or volume of picks you aspire to have?

It's February 2018 and you are looking back and finish the sentence "I am glad that in 2017 the bills....."

The team "moving in the right direction" towards the end of the year. Seeing more disciplined football, less penalties and an overall improvement in play as the season progresses.

Even if the talent is down, less mistakes is success for you? Would more losses but less penalties still be a success?

Even if the talent is down, less mistakes is success for you? Would more losses but less penalties still be a success?

You asked a question on what would define "success" for the "expectations" for Bills fans.

I answered it, if you don't like my answer I can't help you out there.

I just want to see us moving in the right direction, I understand that with a new system in place that there will be a learning curve and what defines success for me is progression and I partially defined what that progress would look like.

As long as you have McCoy we are a running team. Need to be number 1 running, disciplined and a top 5 defense again. If we do that we have a shot at a winning record and Wildcard spot. We have no chance at Division title with Tom Brady still playing. Tyrod is not a accurate long ball thrower, he can do it but his timing is late, rarely hits men in stride. Watkins past 2 seasons has not been around that much so the addition of Bolden, Matthews and Zay together match and beat any production from Watkins. We need to find outside speed in this group. I am going to look up Bills receivers and see who may be able to do that.

Honestly, I want to see a defense that is top 10-12 area.

Offense doesn't really matter so much to me because I believe that side of the ball will be getting a HUGE facelift after the season ends.

So, basically, I am much more interested about what will be going on with the defense this season. I will consider the season a success or failure with what I see from them.

Edited by Binghamton Beast

2017 is not about winning games, it will be about team building and developing players for the future. I look at it as 16 extra preseason games. Winning is a minus, not a plus as it will effect the 2018 draft.

I agree but by some miracle, we win a lot, great, try to get a winning culture here when expectations are so incredibly low. If we do win more then 6 or 7 games I will give credit to McDermott and it will underscore what a farce of coach Rex was.

You asked a question on what would define "success" for the "expectations" for Bills fans.

I answered it, if you don't like my answer I can't help you out there.

I just want to see us moving in the right direction, I understand that with a new system in place that there will be a learning curve and what defines success for me is progression and I partially defined what that progress would look like.

I simply asked if that would be included in your vision of success- I've knocked a few of your takes today but this was a simple question not a knock. I think it's a big distinction in the discussion though.

Best shot at a true long ball WR is: Rashad Ross 6-0 21.3 avg 4.3 40 time

After all four preseason games, Ross recorded 25 receptions for 266 receiving yards and four touchdowns, leading the league in all three categories.[15] After final roster cuts, Ross remained on the active 53-man roster as a reserve receiver.[16]

He became the team's kickoff returner in 2015.[17] Quickly into action against the New York Giants on Thursday Night Football, Ross recorded his first two career receptions, as well as his first touchdown off of a 101-yard kick return.[18][19] In Week 4 against the Philadelphia Eagles, he had a 43-yard reception in the third quarter. He recovered a punt blocked by safety Jeron Johnson in the endzone against the New York Jets in Week 6, scoring his second career touchdown.[20][21] In the last game of the regular season against the Dallas Cowboys, Ross recorded a 71-yard touchdown reception from backup quarterback Colt McCoy, the first receiving touchdown of his career.[22]

Not very experienced but has the speed, was a kick returner, been around a few years.

The next best and all have good career avg. are Streater, Holmes, Tate and Powell.

Holmes has done it before for Raiders and Streater has experience too.

I am glad I looked because we have allot of guys that are 4.4 to 4.5 runners with height, they can pick balls out of the air. Not worried about throwing long now, that is not our specialty anyway!

Top 3 Receivers will be:

Bolden, Matthews and Streater (4.3 outside)

We will keep Jones, Holmes and Ross or Tate (special teams)

Powell may stick later depending how this group does out of the gate.

Dez Lewis will be on practice squad.

Zay Jones will start next year or by end of season.

they already achieved it imo. Its clear they have a strategy and are building the team for the long haul and not worried about one year.

Two guy who are is McDermott, he will do everything he can to win now, no tanking in this guy. Other is McCoy, he has 2-3 years left and will not tank.

We will have a winning season 9-7 or 10-4. Too much talent on defense not to get this right!

I'll stand by what I said months ago: I will consider the season a success only if the Bills make the playoffs or win 10 games. Anything less is unacceptable.

Edited by SoTier

Expectations that the playoff drought will continue for at least five more years.

Expectations that it will take the Bills 4 years to rebuild the secondary.

Expectations that it will take at least 4 years to rebuild the WR corps.

Expectations that the franchise QB the Bills draft will spend more time running for his life and picking himself up off the turf than making plays downfield the first three years of his career.