Go on record regarding the trades

Thoughts on the trades  

470 members have voted

1. 1. Did you like the moves today?

I voted no.

- Every new coach guts the team, gets rid of the best players, and brings in his. After 3 years, they leave, and someone new does it again with the same positions. Their big run first scheme never works, and QB continues to be neglected. This is more of the same.

- Yet again, top sports figures leave Buffalo.

- If the Bills wanted to spend money to win, they wouldn't do this.

- Every team has a chance each year. Stupid to give up like this.

- Coaching means a lot. More and more it looks like McD only knows one way to play football, and he's building a list of excuses on why he can't win.

- Rookies take time to develop, and you don't know what you are getting. It's a risk. It's better to work within the system that exists and take ownership of what you got.

- People talk about how this is a Patriots move. Patriots have arguably the best football player ever. We don't.

- Brady was helped by the Patriots sucking for 10 years under Bledsoe, and continually drafting high. That defense Brady had was awesome, full of first round talent, and Brady dinked and dunk his way wins in the early years until he developed his deep ball. All the great QBs had help to get established, Brady, Rodgers, Big Ben. Manning lost for 3 years until he got Edge and Harrison, then they really won with Freeney and Sanders.

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The same group that wanted Lynch gone. They made excuses like he didn't want to be here, and was one strike away to justify letting him go for practically nothing. Lynch went on to have a tremendous career, and it was an awful move in retrospect.

This move may be even more of a disaster.

It's hard to imagine that would be possible, but the Bills always manage to do the impossible ... as long as it doesn't involve winning.

How is this same old Bills? You can dislike the move but it is far from anything the Bills have done during the drought. They are building the team in a much different way than we are used to.

It is exactly what the Bills have done this entire century: get rid of their best talent because they don't want to pay them and then sell the dollar store crap they keep or acquire as "just as good" to the true believers who continuously defend their moves. Major examples under previous regimes include Antoine Winfield, Nate Clements, Pat Williams, Ruben Brown, Jason Peters, Marshawn Lynch, and Chris Hogan. Allowing Gillmore to leave and trading Watkins are EXACTLY the same bull manure, no matter how you want it to be different. The only "data" that matters to OBD is the $$$ that they won't have to pay out for these players.

Honestly the Rams defense isn't all that great either. They were 15th in defensive DVOA (6th against the run, 20th against the pass), 23rd in points allowed. Very average IMO. Of course a better offense could make them potentially better but they still have the QB issue...

Honestly the Rams defense isn't all that great either. They were 15th in defensive DVOA (6th against the run, 20th against the pass), 23rd in points allowed. Very average IMO. Of course a better offense could make them potentially better but they still have the QB issue...

Wade Phillips will make them better I'll bet.

Where is the undecided.

While i think they were good moves and scheme right and got picks for future.

Bills did downgrade the altheticism and explosion from the two positions.

Rashad Ross and Streater have 4.3 speed 6.0 to 6-2 guys. One has experience the other is a special teams returner. We don't need 50+ catches from these guys.

About 20-30 shots and pull in 10-12 40+ of them would be nice and get the job done. We have very good possession WR.

In regards to his speed or production?

You can tell me about his college 40 time again, but if you have had the pleasure of watching Matthews play and think he's anywhere near as explosive as Watkins then we will need to agree to argue with other people.

If I have one criticism of the trade is that they probably could have gotten more for Watkins had they exercised his option. To Beane's defense, I believe he wasn't here though when that decision was made.

However, that is an argument of hindsight and in the interview from the GM of the Rams they did say that they initiated the trade talks once Watkins wasn't optioned, so they may never have attempted to trade for him had he been optioned.

You can tell me about his college 40 time again, but if you have had the pleasure of watching Matthews play and think he's anywhere near as explosive as Watkins then we will need to agree to argue with other people.

Sammy sure was explosive off the training table

If I have one criticism of the trade is that they probably could have gotten more for Watkins had they exercised his option. To Beane's defense, I believe he wasn't here though when that decision was made.

However, that is an argument of hindsight and in the interview from the GM of the Rams they did say that they initiated the trade talks once Watkins wasn't optioned, so they may never have attempted to trade for him had he been optioned.

Based on listening to the Rams' GM Les Snead, Watkins is in their long term plans.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

More likely the non-option it told the gm it was even a discussion he could have; not that they wanted him more for the lack of it being exercised

So you're saying in regards to his on-the-field playmaking ability.

I haven't seen enough of Matthews to make any real determination of him. I look at his YPC and it's definitely nothing eye opening. But on the other hand, he has had pretty good production in regards to catches, yards, durability and has had decent TD numbers throughout his first 3 years. Definitely much better than Robert Woods.

I think if you were to try to fully and more accurately analogize what Matthew's career has been in terms to cars, I'd say he's probably a dependable Infiniti

Based on listening to the Rams' GM Les Snead, Watkins is in their long term plans.

Yep. I mean at this stage of the game and the high 2nd round pick they gave up, I'd hope that he would be. Plus, they do have a hopeful franchise QB and they probably want to give him all the tools necessary to succeed. If Watkins remains healthy, could end up being a decent deal for them.

More likely the non-option it told the gm it was even a discussion he could have; not that they wanted him more for the lack of it being exercised

Right.

You're coming from a good place man, but I promise, no one takes J6P callin them an idiot personally.

Ha ha Clowney wasn't a consensus star?

Let's slow down.

No. Several teams and insiders were worried about his injury and others were worried about his attitude.

I agreed that he was but also get what he's saying, which I think was a little bit side stepped in reply if genuinely using clowney who was controversial. Sammy was not as rare a physical specimen as clowney (a true generational specimen) but there are not many prospects that come out with sammys immense upside, complete game, and limited risk.

We've unfortunately seen some of that limited risk in the injuries but I think those acting like he's been anything but excellent on the field or pretending he's a uniquely immature diva off the field are just looking to dislike him. The dude has been everything you could ask for when healthy and he was no more a health risk than any player.

Look at the last four drafts and list all of the players where everyone that does this for a living thought he was a can't miss star. Everyone. He had no perceived downside. There were guys with huge talent but question marks. Myles Garrett was 1 overall last year but many thought he was not a guaranteed star player.

From a long term standpoint,Yes it was a good move with an eye toward building a consistent contender. From a win now standpoint, Hell no! It weakened the team for this season.

The 18 draft will determine just how good or bad the deal works out, but overall, the long term benefits outweigh the short term effects of this trade

From a long term standpoint,Yes it was a good move with an eye toward building a consistent contender. From a win now standpoint, Hell no! It weakened the team for this season.

The 18 draft will determine just how good or bad the deal works out, but overall, the long term benefits outweigh the short term effects of this trade

Looks like the long term affect on the Bills flew right over your head then? You make it sound like Sammy is 30 years old. He's 24 with the best football ahead of him. I would say barring major injury he has 10 years in his career easy. How is that not long term mismanagement by the Bills?

Also, who is the Bills number 1 WR now? Yeah we don't have one now, that will be another wasted first rd pick to come. If you think any of the the slot receivers we have now are #1 WR's in this league your wrong.

Edited by Real McCoy

Looks like the long term affect on the Bills flew right over your head then? You make it sound like Sammy is 30 years old. He's 24 with the best football ahead of him. I would say barring major injury he has 10 years in his career easy. How is that not long term mismanagement by the Bills?

Also, who is the Bills number 1 WR now? Yeah we don't have one now, that will be another wasted first rd pick to come. If you think any of the the slot receivers we have now are #1 WR's in this league your wrong.

Yup, maybe that day 2 pick plus whoever gets the cash is better than Sammy but it's far from given. It's a loss for us short term and a question mark at best long term

Who cares? Honestly, who really thinks losing Watkins is somehow throwing our future Super Bowl plans in the trash?

WRs don't move that needle, QBs do. We're acquiring the draft capital to get one. It's a shame a guy like Watkins gets sacrificed to that end, but the moaning about losing talent at the WR position and how it impacts our long-term success is way overblown.