RODAK: Watkins Trade Sets Up TT To Fail

Possibly, but simply making it in as a Wild Card doesn't really tell us how Tyrod was for the year. If Tyrod does his thing just managing the game and riding a good defense and great running game then that could get us into playoffs but it wouldn't make me content with Tyrod going forward. I suspect BB and McD are giving Tyrod the chance to prove them wrong but I believe they are getting ready to draft their own guy come April.

It would take a spectacular season for him to change their minds I think.

Let's say it's 23 tds to 7 ints with 600 rushing yards (and 7 tds) and a 105.0 qb rating? That would be an extension of his final five games into a full season.

It's not spectacular, but he would be one of the highest rated qbs (for what that's worth), and if the offense is playing well (we made the playoffs and even won a game in the original proposed scenario), why would you want to change it for a shot at a rookie qb who based on recent high picks will likely not be any better, would more likely be worse, and would probably set us back? Why not use the bevy of picks to continue to bulk up the team?

Bill Barnwell is right: criminally underrated.

Edited by thurst44

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if he has a great season they should consider it IMO, Taylor's 28 and a major component of his game's running. How long does that last? Plan ahead.

They are going to draft a QB inevitably next year. The question is going to be whether they are so desperate for one that they use all of their draft picks to trade up and get their guy (and remember, it takes two to tango it's not like we can easily get any QB in what's shaping up supposedly to be a great QB class) or if they sit there with the draft picks and let their board play out and take a QB at the point where they see the value.

I think those are the two scenarios and it all depends on how Taylor plays this year. even if we sit there and take a QB in the first but we don't have a draft pick until the middle of the first round or later and that is when we take him, I think Taylor is around another year with the regime closely watching the QB position, yet again. And Taylor serves in that case almost as the safer "fallback option" in case it turns into (what's looking like) what's happening in Denver with Paxton Lynch.

Seeing some 7-9 predictions for #Bills now dropped to 4-12, 5-11. Is Sammy really a 2-3 win player? I really don’t think so. That’s crazy

This is what i have been saying, Sammy and Darby combined are not worth a single win compared to Matthews and Gaines. Our season will be much the same and i don't think any of us really believed we were playoff bound.

It would take a spectacular season for him to change their minds I think.

This.

Remember :

• The Bills still remain a run-first team.
  • The only thing which truly wows the fan base is volume numbers; even if perfect TT would not impress enough fans with this offense
  • Beane and McDermott have little flexibility on Draft Day after dumping the teams best receiver & corner for a second & third pick
  • Beane and McDermott are already worried about their jobs. Today. Right now.
  • Picking Taylor's replacement will be the easiest choice they can make. It will buy them time

Therefore, it is virtually impossible Taylor's performance this season affects their decision one way or another.

Edited by grb

This is what i have been saying, Sammy and Darby combined are not worth a single win compared to Matthews and Gaines. Our season will be much the same and i don't think any of us really believed we were playoff bound.

That's fine but this is about way more than 2017. That's when the damage could be much greater. Not so much with Darby though.

Rodak, being the Patriot butt kisser he is, should know that trading one player does not a team make. The Patriots release/trade guys all the time and they keep on rolling.

You are not setting Tyrod up to fail. You have plenty of guys to throw to - figure it out.

If Tyrod does not get it done it is on Tyrod and no one else.

and this, not rodak, is the voice of reason

Highly doubt it but that's your opinion.

Really ?!?!

List of Bills head coaches in this millennium :

Wade Phillips : 1998-2000

Greg Williams : 2001-2003

Mike Mularkey : 2004-2005

Dick Jauron : 2006-2009

Perry Fewell : 2009

Chan Gailey : 2010-2012

Doug Marrone : 2013-2014

Rex Ryan : 2015-2016

Anthony Lynn : 2016

Sean McDermott : ?????

So if you (old school) were in McDermott's shoes, you'd feel totally secure, eh?

Edited by grb

It does, but our WR core is still better than last year. It's like we took two steps forward and one step back. We're still ahead of where we were.

This is pretty accurate. Matthews is a step back from Watkins, unless you automatically assume Watkins can't play. Overall, better than last year's mess, but exchanging the team's best receiving option for a mediocrity (and second round pick) is a loss. Trading a Number One for another Two. Trading the team's premier wide-out for yet another slot receiver. And getting rid of the Bill's only deep threat. But Taylor coped last year, and will do so this year. But this is how one person described it today :

Hall of Fame QB Jim Kelly said Sunday losing Tyrod Taylor losing Sammy Watkins is "like me losing Andre Reed." Kelly, though, says he understands why the Bills made the trade and urges fans to "keep your hope, stay on the wagon and hopefully it's sooner rather than later."

Keep your hope, stay on the wagon, and hopefully it's sooner rather than later.

I can live with that, except maybe that staying on the wagon part. I was never very good at that.....

Edited by grb

Really ?!?!

List of Bills head coaches in this millennium :

Wade Phillips : 1998-2000

Greg Williams : 2001-2003

Mike Mularkey : 2004-2005

Dick Jauron : 2006-2009

Perry Fewell : 2009

Chan Gailey : 2010-2012

Doug Marrone : 2013-2014

Rex Ryan : 2015-2016

Anthony Lynn : 2016

Sean McDermott : ?????

So if you (old school) were in McDermott's shoes, you'd feel totally secure, eh?

You'd have to imagine that Terry will give McD and BB at least 3 years to get things right. Right now I think they are just concerned with establishing their systems and getting the roster set to be too worried about their job security.

Last I looked, we still have capable WRs.

An NFL QB will get the ball to them.

This.

Remember :

• The Bills still remain a run-first team.
  • The only thing which truly wows the fan base is volume numbers; even if perfect TT would not impress enough fans with this offense
  • Beane and McDermott have little flexibility on Draft Day after dumping the teams best receiver & corner for a second & third pick
  • Beane and McDermott are already worried about their jobs. Today. Right now.
  • Picking Taylor's replacement will be the easiest choice they can make. It will buy them time

Therefore, it is virtually impossible Taylor's performance this season affects their decision one way or another.

Bullet 4 is just.....well.......silly.

Edited by inaugural balls

Last I looked, we still have capable WRs.

An NFL QB will bet the ball to them.

Heck, if we got rid of McCoy we'd probably have "capable" running backs, particularly if we got a mediocre replacement in the deal.

Obviously it wouldn't affect our running game in the slightest.......

When you trade elite talent for scheme fit you better figure out a different scheme.

Amen.

I'm trying to wait and see what happens before judging the new coaching staff, but these guys seem to have to have the right kind of guys to win as opposed to really good guys they already have that aren't a "fit".

Edited by reddogblitz

Amen.

I'm trying to wait and see what happens before judging the new coaching staff, but these guys seem to have to have the right kind of guys to win as opposed to really good guys they already have that aren't a "fit".

I'm sorry, but the Bills didn't dump Watkins because he wasn't "a fit" and they didn't bring in Matthews because he was the "right kind of guy to win"

The average term of a Bills head coach this century is under three years. The next coach in line always knows that, knows he's dealing with an angry fan base & impatient ownership, knows he'll be under a spotlight because of the team's playoff streak. Of course he'll get the generous multi-year contract and statements of undying support, but Rex got all that, didn't he? Two years of .500 ball and he was out the door. If a Bills coach - any Bills coach - doesn't see his job as a two year audition then he's blind stupid, and McDermott doesn't strike me as stupid. Of course dump major team talent in a firesale and you raise the stakes even higher. For instance : The Bill's may be unable to do anything more with their collection of draft choices except pick the quarterback who would have fallen to them anyway - and then spend the leftovers on cornerbacks & wide receivers. That is an entirely possible scenario. Quarterback selections are usually a coin flip anyway. So now you're on a two year leash, you've made a major bet with no idea how it will turn out, and your future depends on some unknown person and the flip of a coin.

Yes, that is just ..... well ...... silly, but welcome to your life coaching the Buffalo Bills.

Edited by grb

This simply is an unsuccessful team trades away one of the few players the national media knows so it is a bad move. The Pats did the same thing to the best 2 players on there defense last year simply for picks not players. Ej Gaines is very similar to Darby. Both had good rookie years then fell off. Most unbias opinions think Gaines will be a better fit in our scheme more so than Darby. Matthews has been productive every year. I like his size. Imo the players brought in are probably 85% the caliber of the caliber being sent out. Overall i dont think it effect the team in the standings. Throw in the 2nd and 3rd and its a win in my book.

Heck, if we got rid of McCoy we'd probably have "capable" running backs, particularly if we got a mediocre replacement in the deal.

Obviously it wouldn't affect our running game in the slightest.......

C'mon dude...

We've barely had Watkins at full strength over the last 2 years. Probably half the games he's even played in he's been hobbled.

And Watkins is a complete beast and was often when he was on the field. But he was on the field healthy... well, not much.

And Woods missed games and wasn't healthy... and I think he was a bit of a whiny B word too often.

And Taylor was throwing to rookie UDFA Walter Powell, lately acquired Brandon Tate, and street FA Justin Hunter along with the oft-injured Marquise Goodwin.

Now Jordan Matthews, projected 1st round WR Zay Jones and Anquan Boldin are your top 3 with experienced, more reliable backups...?

Sorry, but losing Watkins isn't even remotely the same as losing McCoy, IMO of course 0:)

This simply is an unsuccessful team trades away one of the few players the national media knows so it is a bad move. The Pats did the same thing to the best 2 players on there defense last year simply for picks not players. Ej Gaines is very similar to Darby. Both had good rookie years then fell off. Most unbias opinions think Gaines will be a better fit in our scheme more so than Darby. Matthews has been productive every year. I like his size. Imo the players brought in are probably 85% the caliber of the caliber being sent out. Overall i dont think it effect the team in the standings. Throw in the 2nd and 3rd and its a win in my book.

Yep :thumbsup:

Sorry, but losing Watkins isn't even remotely the same as losing McCoy, IMO of course 0:)

I'm not saying it is. But we dumped an exceptional athletic talent in receiver for a mediocre replacement and second round draft pick. If someone wants to justify the deal on those terms, fine. If someone wants to say Watkins is "fated" always to be injured because of a gypsy curse put on him as a child, fine. If someone wants to say it was impossible to resign or franchise him next year, fine.

But to say the Bills dumped an exceptional athletic talent in receiver for a mediocre replacement - but don't worry because the replacement is "capable" strikes me as a very Bills way of looking at things.