MAJ's Thumbs Up, Thumbs down, FUBAR

MAJBobby

Just finished watching the game again (yes I have a problem watching PreSeason Football twice) and here are my good, bad and ugly's. Nos these should be taken with a HUGE mountain of salt as it is only the first fake game out of 4. So lets get to it.

Thumbs Up:

1. A Big Welcome back to the 4-3: It is so refreshing to see a scheme that fits a majority of the top end players on this defense instead of the other way around. Now to that the Bills starting defense (without Shaq Lawson) finished with these numbers. They gave up 1 First Down, allowed 1-3 3rd down conversions, 18 Net yards, 0 points and 2 sacks. Now the rest of the game there also was no big let off in the pressure department either, Bills where getting to the QB all game with just the front 4.

2. Pace on Offense: Hello getting playcalls in quick and getting in and out of the huddle efficiently. I know it is funny saying that for an NFL Team but after the last two years when we typically would break the huddle with 6-10 seconds on the play clock that was refreshing to see.

3. Eddie Yarbrough: All that guy has done is make plays all offseason and didnt stop when the lights where one. Starting in place of Shaq Lawson, Eddie did not look out of his element. He looked the part of a starting DE in this league. I think we might have found a gem, his first step is explosive and gets off blocks effectively. There were a couple issues during the game setting the edge, but that will come, also those times seemed to be more when they where in the 4-3 over or under alignments so hard to tell if that was even his responsibility. But he is going to make the team and play meaningful snaps during the season if he keeps this up.

4. Sammy Watkins: He is just so darn good when fully healthy, so it was good to see him involved early, whether it was a concerted effort to make sure he gets involved early (I hope so) because to many times last year it took the Bills what seemed like forever to get in the game, but once he can get in the game he is elite, I hope every game goes like that were he is involved early and often.

5. Taylor: In his limited play, he was getting the ball out on time, that back foot hit and the ball was out. He did look more comfortable playing in the pocket then past years, didnt see any ghost pressure spook him into flushing. For his limited play in game one looked the part.

6. Running Offense: Looks like it picks up right where it left off last year and that is with no Shady. The Concerning part about it is Tolbert was brought in to essentially be the big back, he needs to pick up those 3rd and 1s. Also no one really did anything once Williams left the field but not going to get to concerned about that right now because we are essentially talking about the 3rd RB. Shady and WIlliams will be one two so there will be time for someone to step up and claim that third spot.

7. Nathan Petterman - No he should not be the starter, and I dont think he will develop into anything more than a top end BU in the NFL, I was impressed with how much command he had of the offense. Tempo came back when he was in the game and it looked fluid like it did when the starters where in there. Didnt see to much of the arm strength concern, but really shouldnt right now, that will be evident when the wind starts picking up if there is an arm strength problem. However he keeps putting games like that together (and gets times with the 2s) then I am comfortable carrying 2 QBs and going into the season with him as the BU.

Thumbs Down:

1. Referees - Yes I am putting them here, I know it is preseason but there is still no consistency in their Pass Interference enforcement. Bills got flagged for PI when Elston made a great play but had his hand on the back of the WR (according to rules that is PI), Later in the game the same exact thing happened on a pass to Logan Thomas and was not called. This was the same officials call to make and he didnt make it.

2. Penalties - yep they are still there for Buffalo, however it was 1st game, so not going to hammer this too hard but they still need to get cleaned up.

3. Ragland - people can give me all the excuses (Knee, essentially rookie season, 1st game, yada yada) but he was very blah. He was slow, showed limited range, missed tackles and that was against guys that will be selling insurance in 3 weeks. For such a "dominate" player he should have carved that offense up and didn't. When a high pick that is talented and belongs gets in with the 3s they show that they are so much better. Ragland looked very pedestrian against what is much lesser talent. However did show an ability to get in the backfield and good instincts (needs them to make up for athletic deficiencies). However that said he will not be cut there is no LBer depth on this team.

4. Yates- for the guy that is supposed to know this offense he looked like the one least in control of it. The pace went down it same with how fluid it was before he came into the game. To me it didnt look like he was any better than Petterman surely not enough to be the BU and have the Bills carry 3 QBs. IMO he needs to step up next game big time or is going to start losing reps. Also to me it looked like he was always going for the short throw even if there was bigger gains out there. Accuracy was blah too.

The FUBAR:

1. Pass Protection - There is a Serious problem here. There is absolutely zero depth at OT. If Glenn or Dawkins get hurt look out. Henderson was abused (cutting a little slack here because of the fight to return to the game with the health), but didnt look good. Mills has not improved at all, Ducasse looked way out of sorts. The Bills need to stop their right side groupings of Miller and Mills (starters) followed by Dawkins and Duccasse (second group rotated in) and just put Dawkins with Miller and have them too grow together on that Right side. If McD is serious about putting the best players on the field that is Miller and Dawkins (so get them together and let them get games under their belts together before the season starts).

All and all a pretty good game from the Bills in terms of what you want to see from the individuals. Looking forward to a little more chunk plays being shown next game, because though the passing game looked on time, the YPAs of the QBs where pretty blah.

Edited by MAJBobby

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude whats your point, I guess no one should be allowed to post their analysis of a game if someone else had?

There's already a thread with this EXACT topic, that's the point. It was even like THREE threads down! Though I know, you had to start your own because the other doesn't have your name in the title...

Good stuff. Wonder if Yates makes the final roster. maybe they bring someone in.

I hope so. Not encouraged when a guy was brought in because of his familiarity of the offense looked like he was the least in command of said offense

There's already a thread with this EXACT topic, that's the point. It was even like THREE threads down! Though I know, you had to start your own because the other doesn't have your name in the title...

Newsflash Hero I do this every game.

what's wrong with it?

you going to try and derail Shaw66's thread as well, he does these type threads.

instead of trying to derail threads how about you share your take on the game?

just curious

Exactly.

I enjoyed reading it.....

me too. pretty much what I thought. I'm glad people break down games because I wouldn't have the patience to do it myself.

Kaep would be an instant upgrade.

Ugh - the media circus he brings isn't worth it to me.

I don't want to like - link the whole thing. But i'd have to agree. I didn't watch the 2nd half TBH, but from what i watched henderson was being routinely abused, and they were bringing heat on almost every play. I did catch a nice screen pass to o'leary - good way to kind of slow down that pressure. He did a nice job selling the block. Also memorable was a tolbert cutback run up the middle for a solid gain - the defense was swarming the edge and he just planted and took what they gave him.

Good stuff Maj Bobby!! I think that you did a really nice job capturing the pros and cons of last night. There were some things to feel good about and some causes for concern. In general I think that your analysis is right on.

Yarbrough has been a revelation at DE. I was super concerned with DE depth before seeing him play. How the hell did we employ Enemkpali (literally had to google "guy who punched geno smith" to remember his name) when this guy was out there?

Edited by dneveu

Individuals' post game analysis are always separate threads. This is fine IMO. I wouldn't want his entire OP to be a random post in Gunner's thread.

....and they should be.....makes it easier to compare different posters' analyses versus how you saw the game....