Cause of the penalties?

Jasovon

Last night was encouraging in many ways but I was left with the same feeling I had last year which is whenever we have a big play expect a flag, special teams are a flag fest putting us in bad situations and helping our opponents.

What do you think is causing us to get so many penalties seemingly even with different players and different coaching staff?

Just aggressiveness, it seemed.

No reason for Cogs to hold on that run.

No reason to hit the punt returner on the fair catch.

No reason to put your arm around the receiver's shoulder when you're in position to bat the ball away.

They just need to hone in on those things. Focus. That's what preseason is for.

Hold off on the conspiracy theories Jasovon, at least until the regular season.

Not blaming anyone but our team, we need to start winning to catch breaks from the refs. But stupid things like the unnecessary roughness after a fair catch was called for is the type of play we see from Bills every single year, is it just a discipline thing we seem to lack that makes players accountable for stupid stuff like that?

Not entirely different coaching ----> Crossman.

Is Crossman still here? Fair enough that answers my question.

No reason to put your arm around the receiver's shoulder when you're in position to bat the ball away.

This ^

The refs missed 2 facemask penalties against the Vikes on JW, one of which was on the play where Richie was flagged for holding (which I thought was a weak call; I saw the flag come out and thought for sure it was a facemask). I think they were watching the Bills closely, since they have a little reputation over the last 3-4 years, but that's a good thing. Let them make those mistakes now.

Not blaming anyone but our team, we need to start winning to catch breaks from the refs. But stupid things like the unnecessary roughness after a fair catch was called for is the type of play we see from Bills every single year, is it just a discipline thing we seem to lack that makes players accountable for stupid stuff like that?

Is Crossman still here? Fair enough that answers my question.

It's preseason. Taiwan won't make it past final cut.

I agree with you on the penalties, but I couldn't care less if some camp body that was signed less than a week ago commits a stupid penalty in a meaningless game. Matter of fact, I like it. It gives the coaches something to harp about to the team.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

That was a total bonehead move on the fair catch.

The announcers then went on for minutes about some other system to prevent this?

How about not being a bonehead and running into the returner when he clearly calls for a fair catch?

That was a total bonehead move on the fair catch.

The announcers then went on for minutes about some other system to prevent this?

How about not being a bonehead and running into the returner when he clearly calls for a fair catch?

I like the idea. Ref puts a hard up, like offsides in hockey. Getting the penalty is boneheaded, but avoiding injury to the return man is something the league can address. Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

I hoped they'd just eliminate the fair catch altogether. You still can't interfere with the ability to make the catch, but this is football. If you're going to catch the ball, then you should expect to be fair game. Otherwise, let it go.

I like the idea. Ref puts a hard up, like offsides in hockey. Getting the penalty is boneheaded, but avoiding injury to the return man is something the league can address.

There was no way to avoid the returner's arm wave on that play that a ref would have helped out.

you mean blow the whistle and the play is dead as soon as the arm is raised???

There was no way to avoid the returner's arm wave on that play that a ref would have helped out.

you mean blow the whistle and the play is dead as soon as the arm is raised???

When the kick returner waves for fair catch, the official behind him raises his hand in the air to signify to the opponents that a fair catch has been called. On the penalty in Thursday's game, the gunner happened to look for the ball at the same time the fair catch signal was made. He would have seen the official's hand in the air, and avoided contact.

When positions are open on the team and fringe players want to make the roster, they are going to give all out to make a play spectacular that will help them get a roster spot. And when they don't make the play and get caught, they will also have a 1-way ticket out of the locker room.

A few penalties were the result of aggressive, attacking play. For me, those are OK.

A few were total BS (an early pass interference call comes to mind)....

But there were still a lot of the good old undisciplined, lazy type penalties that need to get eliminated.

I loved the shots of the HC going straight for the guy who made a mistake as he came to the sideline, reminding the player that this crap has to be eliminated. Seems like it's been a while since a Bills HC did that sort of thing.