Texans at Panthers 7:30 WED

ALF

Running a 2 minute drill is not nearly as important as delivering the ball accurately. He was way off on a lot of his throws. That's the kind of thing most QBs never develop but it could happen.

I mean I think you are wrong but you are entitled to your view.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea I rather fear it becomes a partisan Watson v Taylor thing which it shouldn't be. I wanted the Bills to pick him, we didn't, life goes on. You can think Watson is good and will be good in this league without it being anti-Bills sentiment.

I don't want to make it that but jmo of course I wanted to cut ties and nab Trubisky or Watson.

It'll turn to that so I'll refrain.

I mean I think you are wrong but you are entitled to your view.

Yeah he could definitely develop, I mean crazier things have happened. I thought Trubisky and Mahomes were interesting prospects but I just don't see it with Watson. Poise doesn't mean anything if when you throw the ball it sails over the receiver's head.

If TT can be quick and decisive like Watson he might be somebody.

I'm basing my opinion off Watsons entire body of work.

Wouldn't surprise me at all. That defense was giving the pats hell in the playoff game and they could have won if fuller/Brock O didn't disappoint.

It's funny how you make such statements off of one pre-season game. Here's Taylor in his rookie year against the Redskins.....game winning, two minute drive with no timeouts.

It's funny how you make such statements off of one pre-season game. Here's Taylor in his rookie year against the Redskins.....game winning, two minute drive with no timeouts.

Okay He's really good at passing then ? I make my statements off of the 30 times I have watched Deshaun Watson, the guys not scared to pass 60 times if need be. I watched Taylor at VT as well, he improved every year but never mastered pocket passing.

He needs to improve his anticipation/decisiveness in his 7th year.

Back to Watson please, apologies I'm a 757 guy too, I know you're pulling for him.

Edited by Maury Ballstein

Okay He's really good at passing then ?

Doesn't need to work on anticipation or decisiveness in his 7th year.

Back to Watson please, apologies I'm a 757 guy too, I know you're pulling for him.

Did I SAY he doesn't need to work on certain areas of his game? NO. But you made a direct statement saying that if Taylor could be decisive he could be like Watson....what a ridiculous statement. I merely showed you that even when a guy looks good in a PRE-SEASON game in his first year, the path to becoming a solid starter in the league is a long one.

Yeah he could definitely develop, I mean crazier things have happened. I thought Trubisky and Mahomes were interesting prospects but I just don't see it with Watson. Poise doesn't mean anything if when you throw the ball it sails over the receiver's head.

Yes, crazier things have happened than a first round quarterback developing into a quality starter. :huh:

Watson was the best QB in this class. It wasn't close for me.

Did I SAY he doesn't need to work on certain areas of his game? NO. But you made a direct statement saying that if Taylor could be decisive he could be like Watson....what a ridiculous statement. I merely showed you that even when a guy looks good in a PRE-SEASON game in his first year, the path to becoming a solid starter in the league is a long one.

Post edited, I like Watsons poise and decisiveness.

If Taylor copied it he could be a stud. Jmo of course

Running a 2 minute drill is not nearly as important as delivering the ball accurately. He was way off on a lot of his throws. That's the kind of thing most QBs never develop but it could happen.

Yes, accuracy is very important. But at this point, first ever preseason game, I find it hard to quantify. Is he fully in sync with his WR's yet? Maybe he threw the ball right where he wanted to but the receiver wasn't exactly where he expected? Ran a route at a slightly different depth?

At this point I'm much more concerned with how he looks out there. His command of the offense. How he calls the plays, gets guys lined up. HIs poise, pocket presence, and decisiveness. Stuff like that.

Edited by SWATeam

Yes, accuracy is very important. But at this point, first ever preseason game, I find it hard to quantify. Is he fully in sync with his WR's yet? Maybe he threw the ball right where he wanted to but the receiver wasn't exactly where he expected? Ran a route at a slightly different depth?

At this point I'm much more concerned with how he looks out there. His command of the offense. How he calls the plays, gets guys lined up. HIs poise, pocket presence, and decisiveness. Stuff like that.

the most impressive play was the check at the line picking up the blitz and finding the hot read with the slant. Even the Panthers commentators made a point of saying "a rookie who didn't huddle in college doing that in his first pre-season game is mighty impressive"

Watson was the best QB in this class. It wasn't close for me.

On that, we most certainly agree. I also felt he was the most ready to play of the bunch out of the gate (though I'd prefer not to if the situation allowed it). I think there were some plays that give you hope last night, and some plays he wishes he had back, but it's preseason and his first live action. Time will tell.

On that, we most certainly agree. I also felt he was the most ready to play of the bunch out of the gate (though I'd prefer not to if the situation allowed it). I think there were some plays that give you hope last night, and some plays he wishes he had back, but it's preseason and his first live action. Time will tell.

I think Watson has a great chance to become a solid starter in the NFL. He's got great confidence and he's proven (in college) to be a real leader. And while he had some good moments last night, I also saw a guy that locked in on one receiver right from the snap and didn't go through his progressions. Going from college to the pros is a huge step. He's gonna make his share of mistakes along the way but if he can learn from them and progress, I do think he has a really good shot of doing something in the league.

I don't get the positive reactions. I thought he looked really bad. His throws were off target a lot. The rushing TD isn't really impressive against the 2s and 3s in a vanilla formation. I see the same flaws he had in college which IMO will prevent him from ever doing anything at the NFL level.

This was my take. From the glowing reviews I expected to see much better than a mediocre performance. He looked exactly like Cardale did in his preseason outings - strong arm, throws to first reads only, no anticipation throws and off target a lot, especially to wide open WRs.

the most impressive play was the check at the line picking up the blitz and finding the hot read with the slant. Even the Panthers commentators made a point of saying "a rookie who didn't huddle in college doing that in his first pre-season game is mighty impressive"

I think we're giving Watson just a little too much credit here. This is not a wide-eyed rookie -- he played in back-to-back national championship games. If he didn't show poise and command I'd be worried. I saw a QB who certainly wasn't afraid of the stage last night, but who did not throw the ball particularly well either.

I think we're giving Watson just a little too much credit here. This is not a wide-eyed rookie -- he played in back-to-back national championship games. If he didn't show poise and command I'd be worried. I saw a QB who certainly wasn't afraid of the stage last night, but who did not throw the ball particularly well either.

There are QBs in the league who can't make that kind of check on the fly now, let alone their first pre-season game.