Bills' OC: Tyrod Taylor 'can't wait for a route to open up

Meathead

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what's the over/under on when Peterman starts? game 8?

as soon as it becomes obvious the playoffs are out of reach. so then probably game five

lol. for a real over/under id say game fifteen. most teams are still mathematically alive with two to play. roster wise the bills are a .500 team so they will probably torture us on the fringe all season. only to rip our hearts out once again

see you there

Peterman will start zero games this season because unless Tyrod is injured. He's TJ Yates with less experience.

:o Ouch! That's kind of a f__ed-up label to just slap on the kid... I personally think he's he's got bigger cajones than Yates, and has stronger leadership qualities.... Let's see how tall he stands in pre-seaze before calling him another T.J. Yates, smh...sheesh..

:o Ouch! That's kind of a f__ed-up label to just slap on the kid... I personally think he's he's got bigger cajones than Yates, and has stronger leadership qualities.... Let's see how tall he stands in pre-seaze before calling him another T.J. Yates, smh...sheesh..

I see a career backup QB in Peterman.

He should be happy if he develops into a Matt Moore.

@BuffRumblings

According to the #Bills OC, the team has two solid backups behind Tyrod.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/8/8/16107730/buffalo-bills-rick-dennison-compares-nate-peterman-to-tj-yates-rick-dennison

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Were did i say that. I said Points run up against bad teams ie how many we hang against a bad San Fran team?

33 against Bad AZ

30 against Bad Rams

45 against Bad San Fran

33 against Bad Cle

So 141 of Bills 399 against 4 teams.

Leaving 21.5 ppg against remaining 12 teams.

So yes scoring was run up against bad teams (drops even more if you take out Defensive scores) both on the run up against bad teams and overall

Newsflash: Bad teams (with bad defenses) tend to give up more points and yards than good teams do, so it's not too surprising (or a strike against him) that TT put up a disproportionate number of points against those teams. I am guessing Tyrod was not the only QB to run up points against them (although AZ certainly did not have a bad defense).

Newsflash: Bad teams (with bad defenses) tend to give up more points and yards than good teams do, so it's not too surprising (or a strike against him) that TT put up a disproportionate number of points against those teams. I am guessing Tyrod was not the only QB to run up points against them (although AZ certainly did not have a bad defense).

Again TT was not part of this. I am just saying people want to point to how good our scoring offense is. Well there are alot of points agains bad teams, not even counting the garbage time points when game is out of reach. So again you can hang your hat on that stat but there are shown reasons to take it as a grain of salt as well.

....so the $64,000 question is his anticipation deficiency correctable/repairable and trainable?...if so, is Dennison the right guy because I don't see too many more chances league wide for the kid to get THIS....he is certainly NOT to only NFL QB to have this weakness....Steve Young (yup, HIM; he would know IMO) said it best with, "the reason why more collegiate QB's fail versus succeed is because of the speed and complexity of the game at the NFL level"....not sure how you refute that.............

Can't refute it. and maybe you've hit on the nuance.

Perhaps..

TT can throw with anticipation on certain slowly developing routes. But the short and medium routes, that happen in 1-2 seconds, develop so quickly some/him can't process at the speed necessary to be effective at the NFL level.

I suspect constant reps can help, even if you never get all the routes combos and timing worked out, to master a subset. Which may be the development the OC eludes to.

Instead of feeling it, you just execute the script you've rehearsed

The OC's biggest takeaway so far? Taylor needs to work on anticipating where the receiver is supposed to be open and delivering to that spot rather than waiting for him to gain separation.

nice post, i think its so refreshing when a new coach does this, as opposed to a new qb coming and being treated like a king ala bledsoe when he came here and started to suck as his fundamentals deteriorated and the coaches praised and prayed at candlelight vigils and goat sacrifices hoping he would pull them through. Bledsoe was good when parcells stood behind him and MADE him throw the ball on time. Here tightwad will be held to the fire to throw the ball over the middle with anticipation, something he only started to do at the end of last season.

Perhaps..

TT can throw with anticipation on certain slowly developing routes. But the short and medium routes, that happen in 1-2 seconds, develop so quickly some/him can't process at the speed necessary to be effective at the NFL level.

I suspect constant reps can help, even if you never get all the routes combos and timing worked out, to master a subset. Which may be the development the OC eludes to.

...or maybe he can't see over the line fast enough, as he is dropping back...perhaps he needs that extra time to get to a point where he can see over the 6 foot 3 guys in front of him...Brady is 6 foot 4 so he doesn't need to wait- he can see the whole field right when he snaps the ball.

...or maybe he can't see over the line fast enough, as he is dropping back...perhaps he needs that extra time to get to a point where he can see over the 6 foot 3 guys in front of him...Brady is 6 foot 4 so he doesn't need to wait- he can see the whole field right when he snaps the ball.

Fair.. if that's the issue, it's a little more difficult to "develop". Although maybe this playaction with run blocking scheme will make that less relevant?

Fair.. if that's the issue, it's a little more difficult to "develop". Although maybe this playaction with run blocking scheme will make that less relevant?

maybe so...either way, it is all entertaining speculation til showtime...One thing I can't stop thinking about though is that even if Tyrod has a good season, I would hate to see the Bills miss out on such a good crop of QB prospects next year.

Perhaps..

...precisely.......forget the feeling and just DO IT......the feeling is the inhibiting factor......will be plenty of misses in spot throws./trust, but repetition is the only way. tp grow any type of confidence and success IMO...if TT can't do it under Dennison's tutelage, he'll be a career backup elsewhere potentially because of his wheels...........

Great observation/assessment in my humble opinion Ja , and one I happen to share.

Lol.

Wentz is light years beyond TT.

The numbers didn't reflect it quite yet, but he's doing things in the huddle and in the game that TT will never be able to do. Just like Peyton put up a few bad season's statistically...Wentz is out there figuring out what he can and can't get away with.

TT plays safe and easy football that looks good on the stat sheet, but doesn't get the results when it's needed.

Wentz completed 22 of 42 passing attempts for 170 yards with one interception, one sack and one rushing touchdown.

According to Pro Football Focus, Wentz rated as the worst quarterback in the NFL:

Quarterback: Carson Wentz, Philadelphia Eagles, 34.3

It was a tough week for the Eagles' rookie quarterback, who struggled all over the field. Wentz completed just 2-of-11 passes farther than 10 yards downfield, and had an interception, as well. When under pressure, Wentz completed 4-of-11 attempts for just 26 yards and the aforementioned pick.

Sunday marked the sixth time this season that Wentz failed to complete 60 percent of his passes

Look man, its fine to think that Wentz might turn into a fine QB someday. He had a great start to his season and then fizzled mightly. Saying crap like he is light years beyond Taylor right now is ridiculous and delusional. He had a great couple games and then sucked the rest of the season.

If we drafted Wentz and he had games like that you would already have long been off the Wentz wagon. Its just that you hate Tyrod so much that any other QB out there is a great find to you. Especially one that played in a pro system in college so was hyped up.

Edited by Scott7975

People should take a listen to this for context.

Right. I think people are jumping to conclusion here. I'm not sure he's saying this is a problem. It's the next step after learning the plays - learning when throw it.