Places to watch games in Buffalo

I've been doing a bit of freelancing lately, and it just so has happened that I've been doing more travel to Buffalo. As tiring as travel is, there seems like a decent chance that I will actually be back in town for the start of the season.

Now, I could find myself just walled off wherever I'm staying, but I figure that it would be nice to get out and watch the game at a local bar. I'm wondering if people have places that they would recommend in the Elmwood village area, Downtown or close to the waterfront, since that would probably be the easiest to get to.

My problem with going to the game is that my travel is dependant on what the place I'm contracting with, so it might not happen. I also don't have a way to get from the airport to the game or to get back. That makes me leery of committing to something this far out. Having a good place to watch the game is a nice back up plan.

I've heard good things about Thirsty Buffalo. I know it was converted after I left the area so I might give that a spin.