Share some music thread

Pine Barrens Mafia

One advantage of living in a college town is that they often have student-run radio stations where you can hear music not normally played on commercial radio. When I was in Rochester, both UR and RIT had their station (do they still exist?). Here in Lubbock, TTU runs two stations, one is the local NPR affiliate with lots of classical music, the other is student-run. The latter, 88.1 FM "The Raider", introduced me to many alt/indie acts I would never heard of otherwise. One example: Dr. Dog.

My favorite, "The Beach", starts at 30:00.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

@DrWI didnt find a performance of Cults from that particular show but I found one from the year previous Pitchfork Festival. And one of my Fav Cults tunes. The blonde gibson ripper bass nate is playing in this clip was destroyed in Cults practice space during hurricane sandy :-((((

Edited by Muppy
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Being in the Philly area i love this post for a couple reasons, first off Dr Dog is a local Philly band, sadly they are calling it quits but they are doing 5(?) shows are a couple venues as their farewell tour around the new year.  Second, WXPN radio, listener supported radio, like you said, they don't have a play list they need to follow, they play what they want and like you, i have discovered so much amazing music through them.

On 7/16/2021 at 7:20 PM, DrW said:

One advantage of living in a college town is that they often have student-run radio stations where you can hear music not normally played on commercial radio. When I was in Rochester, both UR and RIT had their station (do they still exist?). Here in Lubbock, TTU runs two stations, one is the local NPR affiliate with lots of classical music, the other is student-run. The latter, 88.1 FM "The Raider", introduced me to many alt/indie acts I would never heard of otherwise. One example: Dr. Dog.

My favorite, "The Beach", starts at 30:00.

On 8/5/2017 at 12:09 PM, The Poojer said:

Saw Wilco live last friday, and this may be one of the coolest songs ever to see played live.

One of my favorite bands— I just bought tickets for Boston.  Amazing live band!

I got presale ticket code for Martha’s Vineyard next august- but it was $225 a pass.  My girl and I LOVE Martha’s Vineyard, and we are both big fans of Wilco.  So we applied to be a Wilco roadie that week.  Our fingers are crossed

as an added bonus, Wilco is touring with Sleater-Kenney, so it should be a hell of a show.  I am going to see them here locally next month.

3 hours ago, Pete said:

One of my favorite bands— I just bought tickets for Boston.  Amazing live band!

I got presale ticket code for Martha’s Vineyard next august- but it was $225 a pass.  My girl and I LOVE Martha’s Vineyard, and we are both big fans of Wilco.  So we applied to be a Wilco roadie that week.  Our fingers are crossed