Lets Put The Runway Next To The Beach

TSNBDSC

yes, that's it sticky

a woman was killed a week or two ago by the jet blast, slammed against the concrete wall.

theres video.

Not sure about the OP video but pretty sure the death was in St. Maarten which is well known for people surfing the fence in the jet wash

Not sure about the OP video but pretty sure the death was in St. Maarten which is well known for people surfing the fence in the jet wash

oh, hell, they all look alike and i'll never go... so there is that

I've done that probably a dozen times (lamp) in St. Maarten. That beach used to be cool but now it kind of sucks because it's so overcrowded. It's kind of fun to try to stay there and get sandblasted when they take off but it gets old quickly. Went to a different beach there this year and it wasn't much nicer. A handful of hot topless chicks too

Fun fact: I was at that beach with the airplanes when I found out about the shady trade. I was using the Wi fi at the bar.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I've done that probably a dozen times (lamp) in St. Maarten. That beach used to be cool but now it kind of sucks because it's so overcrowded. It's kind of fun to try to stay there and get sandblasted when they take off but it gets old quickly. Went to a different beach there this year and it wasn't much nicer. A handful of hot topless chicks too

Fun fact: I was at that beach with the airplanes when I found out about the shady trade. I was using the Wi fi at the bar.

I've seen some humorous/awesome videos of people surfing the fence.

And others where people got blasted into the water that were humorous assuming a non-tragic ending

Since you've been there...any comments on the awesomeness/stupidity? Did you actually surf the fence?

I've seen some humorous/awesome videos of people surfing the fence.

And others where people got blasted into the water that were humorous assuming a non-tragic ending

Since you've been there...any comments on the awesomeness/stupidity? Did you actually surf the fence?

Yeah, I've stayed at the fence for a decent amount of time but it starts to burn. When it's a big plane like that you get crushed with the sand. Eventually everyone sprints into the water to get away from the sandstorm. It's one of those things that you do so that you can say that you did it. They post the landing times of the planes and I think their size at the restaurant/bar. So everyone is prepared for the big ones.

I had a better time at that other beach this year to be honest. The water was better, the beach was nicer and it was just a better time. There was some political unrest when we were there last year. They wouldn't let us drive through the French side of the island. There were protests regarding the revenue from the beaches or something. I guess that it was really nasty.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

There is no other place on St. Maarten to put a runway of suitable length.

The departure out of there is a bit unusual as well, because there's a mountain on the extended runway center line, so it requires an immediate right turn.

I've flown in there scores of times on the 757.

The people on the beach wave as you land, and they are quite close. Close enough to see facial details.

The jet blast on takeoff only effects about 100 feet, laterally, so its quite easy to stay away from it by moving.

Anyway, really nice island as Caribbean islands go.

I had a better time at that other beach this year to be honest. The water was better, the beach was nicer and it was just a better time. There was some political unrest when we were there last year. They wouldn't let us drive through the French side of the island. There were protests regarding the revenue from the beaches or something. I guess that it was really nasty

I heard about that. Sounded like kind of a tense few days around there. We always stay on the Dutch side in Simpson bay. By any chance was the "other beach" you mentioned located on the other side of the runway with a place called Karakter there? Food served out of an old gutted school bus. Cool spot.

There is no other place on St. Maarten to put a runway of suitable length.

The departure out of there is a bit unusual as well, because there's a mountain on the extended runway center line, so it requires an immediate right turn.

I've flown in there scores of times on the 757.

The people on the beach wave as you land, and they are quite close. Close enough to see facial details.

The jet blast on takeoff only effects about 100 feet, laterally, so its quite easy to stay away from it by moving.

Anyway, really nice island as Caribbean islands go.

So how terrified do I need to be when taking off / landing? We've landed in some fairly heavy rain before which was quite unpleasant. Also, last time we departed we took off the "other way" towards the water. What's the reason for doing that from time to time?

Edited by billsfanmiami(oh)

So how terrified do I need to be when taking off / landing? We've landed in some fairly heavy rain before which was quite unpleasant. Also, last time we departed we took off the "other way" towards the water. What's the reason for doing that from time to time?

You don't have to be worried at all. It's not a tough departure.

You simply take off, get to about 600' and do a right 180 to avoid the terrain to the east.

There is a special single engine procedure in the unlikely event of an engine failure that ensures terrain avoidance.

Regarding taking off the other w taxi way, towards the west, it is because of winds. It is very unusual to have winds from the west there, so its rarely used.

Further, there is no taxiway that goes to the end of that runway, so you use the existing taxiway to it's end, then taxi on the runway to the end and do a 180. It really slows thing down because of the time it takes.

I heard about that. Sounded like kind of a tense few days around there. We always stay on the Dutch side in Simpson bay. By any chance was the "other beach" you mentioned located on the other side of the runway with a place called Karakter there? Food served out of an old gutted school bus. Cool spot.

It was Orient Beach actually. I really liked it but I'm one of those people that can float in the water with a beer and be thrilled. It isn't that adventurous (outside of snorkeling) but was relaxing.

These are probably the same people who would complain about vehicle exhaust, smog, etc.. Jet-A & Diesel are very close cousins. They could save a bunch of money by staying home, and maybe making a trip to the bus station, or truck terminal, and taking a deep breath.