Lets Put The Runway Next To The Beach

TSNBDSC

That kind of reminds me of Logan in Boston. You look out and see, water....water, water getting closer... OH! Runway!!! YAY!

MDW (Chicago Midway) is a trip & a half, not taking off, but landing! Pilots have to always scream on the brakes.

MDW is only in one square mile of the city, residential along all four walls of the airport.

Heck, a child even got killed in his carseat sitting in traffic @ a red light when a plane crashed through the wall:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/12/08/chicago.airplane/

No way when I land do I want that funnky poo going down in the city... Was Steve Miller singing about returning home to Chicago?

"Touchin' down in New England town

Feel the heat comin' down

I've got to keep on keepin' on

You know the big wheel keeps on spinnin' around

And I'm goin' with some hesitation

You know that I can surely see

That I don't want to get caught up in any of that

Funky schit goin' down in the city...

...Oh, Oh big ol' jet airliner

Carry me to my home

Oh, Oh big ol' jet airliner

Cause it's there that I belong

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

Big ol' jet airliner..."

MDW (Chicago Midway) is a trip & a half, not taking off, but landing! Pilots have to always scream on the brakes.

MDW is only in one square mile of the city, residential along all four walls of the airport.

Heck, a child even got killed in his carseat sitting in traffic @ a red light when a plane crashed through the wall:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/12/08/chicago.airplane/

No way when I land do I want that funnky poo going down in the city... Was Steve Miller singing about returning home to Chicago?

"Touchin' down in New England town

Feel the heat comin' down

I've got to keep on keepin' on

You know the big wheel keeps on spinnin' around

And I'm goin' with some hesitation

You know that I can surely see

That I don't want to get caught up in any of that

Funky schit goin' down in the city...

...Oh, Oh big ol' jet airliner

Carry me to my home

Oh, Oh big ol' jet airliner

Cause it's there that I belong

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

Big ol' jet airliner..."

MDW was supposed to close when O'Hare was opened. I got my Instrument Rating at MDW in 1971. The property is a couple of square blocks on the S side of Chicago surrounded by old 2.5 story wood frame houses. The runways are diagonals from each corner of that square. In the summer you have weight issues because of the short runways and the summer heat, and in the winter it's often winds and runway conditions that limit operations. Not the best place to go, even for a lower fare!

MDW was supposed to close when O'Hare was opened. I got my Instrument Rating at MDW in 1971. The property is a couple of square blocks on the S side of Chicago surrounded by old 2.5 story wood frame houses. The runways are diagonals from each corner of that square. In the summer you have weight issues because of the short runways and the summer heat, and in the winter it's often winds and runway conditions that limit operations. Not the best place to go, even for a lower fare!

Trivia: You probably know. Why is O'Hare=ORD? NOT, say OHR

:-) ;-)