The Tyrod Taylor Question

I don't know, the Tyrod Taylor question is an even bigger question now.

I'm still relatively optimistic about this season. I think our defense is going to improve a good amount from last year. I think our run game is going to be right around the same maybe with a little drop off considering how historic it was last season. And I think that our WR corps is just better as a whole this year.

We'll see what happens with injuries, but if McDermott is what I think he is, I actually think this team is poised to make the playoffs as is. Maybe they even win a game or two.

(Yes, that's largely the homer in me talking and I realize that.)

So we make the playoffs, win a couple games, and Taylor has played pretty well. Now the team has to make a decision, not just on the draft but also on keeping Taylor next year considering the money he'll get next year. And if we keep him next year, is that a sign of another years worth of auditioning? Or is he gone after that year no matter what?

I think that answer comes in the form of what we do in the draft. Seems pretty clear we're drafting a QB in the first round at least at this moment. (I say at this moment, because we have a whole college football season ahead of us and does everyone remember what happened with Matt Barkley from one year to the next?) so we draft a QB in the first round but not until later in the first round is he the heir apparent?

We can all agree on the this: if Taylor doesn't improve seriously on his 2016 season, this team will unload at Arsenal to draft a QB high.

I think many are hoping that's what actually happens. I'd prefer Taylor just improve because, well, a bird in the bush... 0:)

Dude, if the Bills make the playoffs and win a couple of games - they are either playing in the AFC Championship game or the Superbowl depending on whether they got the first round bye or not.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, if the Bills make the playoffs and win a couple of games - they are either playing in the AFC Championship game or the Superbowl depending on whether they got the first round bye or not.

Yeah, I know.

One game might be significant, but I think 2 is necessary for Taylor.

So you're saying that would make it so that we should keep Taylor without actively trying to replace him?

Edited by transplantbillsfan

Yeah, I know.

One game might be significant, but I think 2 is necessary for Taylor.

So you're saying that would make it so that we should keep Taylor without actively trying to replace him?

If the Bills made the AFC title game this year and Taylor played well, yep - you bet I keep him on the team. I probably draft a QB anyway unless I know that Peterman is going to win the Superbowl as the Bills starting QB. I would have to see what the options look like at the end of the season.

If the Bills made the AFC title game this year and Taylor played well, yep - you bet I keep him on the team. I probably draft a QB anyway unless I know that Peterman is going to win the Superbowl as the Bills starting QB. I would have to see what the options look like at the end of the season.

OK : Taylor takes the Bills to the AFC Championship Game and plays well, but you still draft a quarterback unless you know Peterman is going to win the Superbowl ?!? So Taylor may be able to play well in the conference title game, but it's innately impossible he could play well next game after that. That strikes me a bit strange, but I concede it's the way people discuss quarterbacks.

The Bills should hold onto Tyrod until a QB goes down like Bridgewater did last year then trade him for a 2nd rounder and a player on an expiring contract like the Watkins and Darby trade. Let Petermen play and either seeing if he is a Franchise QB or he is not and draft one in 2018. PERIOD.

OK : Taylor takes the Bills to the AFC Championship Game and plays well, but you still draft a quarterback unless you know Peterman is going to win the Superbowl ?!? So Taylor may be able to play well in the conference title game, but it's innately impossible he could play well next game after that. That strikes me a bit strange, but I concede it's the way people discuss quarterbacks.

I am not sure where I was unclear. I keep him. He competes for starting job with drafted rookie and whoever else. I keep Peterman regardless. I draft a QB unless I am convinced Tyrod or Peterman is going to make the team a perennial contender. Just because Tyrod won me 2 playoff games, I may or may not be convinced he can get me there year after year for years to come and confident enough he can lead the team to a Superbowl victory. If I am convinced, I hand him the reigns. If I am not convinced, well then you got to keep trying to find that guy. The only thing that would remove all doubt is if Tryod seemed to magically become the best QB in the league and the Bills won the Superbowl this year.

The Bills should hold onto Tyrod until a QB goes down like Bridgewater did last year then trade him for a 2nd rounder and a player on an expiring contract like the Watkins and Darby trade. Let Petermen play and either seeing if he is a Franchise QB or he is not and draft one in 2018. PERIOD.

If we are hovering just below .500 after 6 weeks I would support this.

No I think the Bills are drafting a QB fairly high (no later than round 2) almost regardless. The question is going to be where and what assets they use to get that QB.

If they don't trade up for a QB after a really good season by Taylor, I think that would be a sign of a shift in perspective on Beane's part.

But so much of this has to play out. Both for Taylor and all these "great" college QBs. Right now talks are that there are 2 guys who are clearly Elite prospects (Darnold and Rosen) and likely a 3rd (Allen) along with a slew of other guys who might be... a college football season has to happen, too. Some or all of those guys might be worse than expected.

What then?

Absolutely anything is possible with this new regime.

No I think the Bills are drafting a QB fairly high (no later than round 2) almost regardless. The question is going to be where and what assets they use to get that QB.

If they don't trade up for a QB after a really good season by Taylor, I think that would be a sign of a shift in perspective on Beane's part.

But so much of this has to play out. Both for Taylor and all these "great" college QBs. Right now talks are that there are 2 guys who are clearly Elite prospects (Darnold and Rosen) and likely a 3rd (Allen) along with a slew of other guys who might be... a college football season has to happen, too. Some or all of those guys might be worse than expected.

What then?

Absolutely anything is possible with this new regime.

Yep. Things are likely going to look quite a bit different at the end of the season compared to now. Many variables. A lot of people will changes their minds about what they are thinking right now.

My advice, not that anyone is listening: Let Tyrod Be Tyrod! No trying to make him learn new tricks. His strengths: (1) mobility/incredible ability to slip tackles. (2) beautiful deep ball, generally delivered when he is out of the pocket. With his new contract comes the freedom to let him do what he does best. Move. Run. Make big plays with that mobility. Teams try to take that away from the great athletic QBs to avoid injury. That usually makes sense. I like the guy, but if I'm Bills management, I've got to say, "Who cares?" If he gets hurt you cut him after this season. That may very well happen regardless. It's about an $8.5 million cap hit. If he avoids injury, you've got a dynamic QB this year freed from the confines of the pocket and the system that we all know he doesn't work well in. You may even make the playoffs. Nothing to lose here. Free Tyrod!

My advice, not that anyone is listening: Let Tyrod Be Tyrod! No trying to make him learn new tricks. His strengths: (1) mobility/incredible ability to slip tackles. (2) beautiful deep ball, generally delivered when he is out of the pocket. With his new contract comes the freedom to let him do what he does best. Move. Run. Make big plays with that mobility. Teams try to take that away from the great athletic QBs to avoid injury. That usually makes sense. I like the guy, but if I'm Bills management, I've got to say, "Who cares?" If he gets hurt you cut him after this season. That may very well happen regardless. It's about an $8.5 million cap hit. If he avoids injury, you've got a dynamic QB this year freed from the confines of the pocket and the system that we all know he doesn't work well in. You may even make the playoffs. Nothing to lose here. Free Tyrod!

To a degree, he needs to free himself. IMO he was told to be overly protective of the ball the last two years which may have been why he was reluctant to throw in certain situations. To me he's in a make it or break it year.....trade aside.....he HAS to make more plays on a more consistent basis. I've been a huge supporter of him but barring massive injuries, he's got to make his case to be the long term solution in Buffalo THIS year. There are inherent risks by making more plays which may result in more INT's. So be it. Gotta leave it all out on the field and carry a team at times.

I do agree that he needs to use his skill set more and just play football.

Edited by Bills757

To a degree, he needs to free himself. IMO he was told to be overly protective of the ball the last two years which may have been why he was reluctant to throw in certain situations. To me he's in a make it or break it year.....trade aside.....he HAS to make more plays on a more consistent basis. I've been a huge supporter of him but barring massive injuries, he's got to make his case to be the long term solution in Buffalo THIS year. There are inherent risks by making more plays which may result in more INT's. So be it. Gotta leave it all out on the field and carry a team at times.

I do agree that he needs to use his skill set more and just play football.

He's not going to be in Buffalo after this year.

He's not going to be in Buffalo after this year.

It's possible, but not probable.

I think it's more likely Taylor is around in 2018 unless he plays badly in 2017. The new QB coming in would then be afforded some time to learn the game.

Brandon, is that you?!

Come on man....add SOMETHING to the board. Gotta love the negativity and skepticism though....carry on.

Differing opinions are fine, but I really get sick of the one-liners that accomplish nothing from certain posters.

It's possible, but not probable.

I think it's more likely Taylor is around in 2018 unless he plays badly in 2017. The new QB coming in would then be afforded some time to learn the game.

Differing opinions are fine, but I really get sick of the one-liners that accomplish nothing from certain posters.

Agree on the last statement 100%. The drive-by negative-no purpose post.