The Tyrod Taylor Question

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve Young - Nope. Addressed it earlier in the thread. Look at his stats in his fifth and sixth years. He was still behind Montana, but when he played he was tearing up the league. It was very clear the Niners had a franchise guy waiting for Montana to leave. In Young's fifth year he only played three games but if you pro-rate his stats for the whole season, he'd have been 2nd in the league in completion percentage, 1st by far (120.8 with the next guy being Montana with a 112.4) in passer rating, and 1st in YPA. And he was doing the same in camp and preseason. In those days, it was unusual to have a 2:1 TD:INT ratio. Only two starters did it that year, Montana and Esiason. Young went 8:3.

Young had absolutely proved himself well before his sixth year.

I think it's funny that you pro-rate Young's stats from 3 games to 16 games.

That's absolutely ridiculous. I've been criticized for pro-rating Taylor's 2015 season from 14 to 16 games and you're going from 3 to 16...

I think it's even funnier (and stranger) that Young didn't only play in 3 games in his 5th year...

:doh:

Young was really up and down for his first 4 years in the league and then came in with "spot duty" in his 5th and 6th years.

The guy threw 154 passes, less than 1500 yards passing, 10 TDs and 3 INTs and that was him somehow "absolutely prov(ing) himself" after (or are you now saying before? ...that was a typo, right? ... I hope so, because saying anyone proved themselves in less than 100 pass attempts is preposterous) his 6th year?

Revisionist history...

...so how many series does TT get tonight?..........

Two.

now that we signed Boldin, i'm guessing there are no more excuses.

well, there is always the turf toe one i guess....

Sooo... are there excuses now? :flirt:

Honestly, excuses don't matter much at this point, the Tyrod Taylor question is no longer really a question. The best he can hope for seems to be starting this season, seeing his replacement drafted in the 2018 draft, and starting the 2018 season while his replacement learns the game a bit.

Barring making the playoffs and actually winning a couple of those games, it seems obvious Beane wants to replace Taylor.

Honestly, excuses don't matter much at this point, the Tyrod Taylor question is no longer really a question. The best he can hope for seems to be starting this season, seeing his replacement drafted in the 2018 draft, and starting the 2018 season while his replacement learns the game a bit.

Barring making the playoffs and actually winning a couple of those games, it seems obvious Beane wants to replace Taylor.

It was always the case IMO.

It was always the case IMO.

Seems pretty clear it always was with Beane right now since hindsight is 20/20.

I think this year is going to be pretty interesting because the "rooting for TT to fail" thing is going to be real with the sign on the door that unless Taylor has a stellar year, we're going to do everything in our power to trade up to get the best QB we can possibly get in a (supposedly) strong QB class.

I think for once it might even almost sorta be reasonable for those who are rooting against Taylor. I don't agree with it and can't possibly root for a bad season. But I'll say that I understand why those people might root against him.

It'll just be interesting if (and yes, that's a big if) Taylor has a stellar season and the team makes the playoffs and wins a game or two.

What will the conversations be like next offseason? 0:)

I don't think Beane wants to replace Taylor, like if he steps up this season they'll have no problem bringing him back. But he's being smart and planning ahead as if Tyrod won't work out. Honestly can't blame him, especially when he's starting off a new regime.

I don't think Beane wants to replace Taylor, like if he steps up this season they'll have no problem bringing him back. But he's being smart and planning ahead as if Tyrod won't work out. Honestly can't blame him, especially when he's starting off a new regime.

Personally, I actually love the moves.

I hate the timing.

And Matthews getting injured in the first 15 minutes of his first practice suckes, too :doh:

I think Beane wants a guy he is confident can be a franchise QB. At the moment he isn't there with Tyrod and I don't think he ever expects to be so he is planning for the 2018 draft. This is Beane's first shot at being a GM. These days very few get 2 shots. He is not going to make the mistake others do of plodding along without trying to find his franchise QB early. He is planning and preparing to use our first pick of the 2018 draft on the face of the franchise. The heir to Kelly.

That doesn't mean he is completely shut off to Tyrod breaking out and proving him wrong. But I suspect he, like I, put the % chance of that quite low.

I think Beane wants a guy he is confident can be a franchise QB. At the moment he isn't there with Tyrod and I don't think he ever expects to be so he is planning for the 2018 draft. This is Beane's first shot at being a GM. These days very few get 2 shots. He is not going to make the mistake others do of plodding along without trying to find his franchise QB early. He is planning and preparing to use our first pick of the 2018 draft on the face of the franchise. The heir to Kelly.

That doesn't mean he is completely shut off to Tyrod breaking out and proving him wrong. But I suspect he, like I, put the % chance of that quite low.

And he is hedging his bet by getting rid of Tyrod's favorite target.

If the Bills stink out of the gate this year (regardless of whether it is mostly the offense or defense at fault) I suspect the rookie Qb to come in and the coaching to throw in the towel. And as a season ticket holder who pays thousands of $$ every year for this - count me as pissed thinking that is what they are intending.

My take is the exact opposite. Watkins & Darby dumped in a firesale only makes sense with a quarterback as the objective. Excepting the press conference (with it's abundance of squirming & spin) the trade has only been explained with a quarterback as the end - whether by fan, commentator or reporter. There is no alternate theory to justify the cost. Beane & McDermott had a smidge of flexibility before the trade; now they have none. Try imagining these two things :

• What kind of season would Taylor have to have before they wouldn't draft his replacement? Perhaps a deep playoff run might do it, but the Bills remain a run-first team so Taylor won't have volume numbers. Without large numbers he'll just be a game manager no matter how well he plays.
  • Imagine the explosion if Beane doesn't use a first round pick on a QB. I'm not even sure the fan base will be satisfied without some kind of elaborate package deal. Of course the two or three QBs worth moving-up for will probably go to quarterback-desperate teams picking first. If the Bills find themselves again around Pick Ten the best of the remaining options might fall to them naturally.

So regardless of Taylor's season, they draft his replacement. However they might still keep him around his final contract year as a dead-man-walking. He'll be relatively cheap as QBs go, particularly given the payout required to void his contract. If he performs well in 2017 (and Peterman isn't thought ready) they may want Taylor for the option of keeping his rookie replacement on the bench, avoiding the pressure of playing him immediately.

Edited by grb

My take is the exact opposite. Watkins & Darby dumped in a firesale only makes sense with a quarterback as the objective. Excepting the press conference (with it's abundance of squirming & spin) the trade has only been explained with a quarterback as the end - whether by fan, commentator or reporter. There is no alternate theory to justify the cost. Beane & McDermott had a smidge of flexibility before the trade; now they have none. Try imagining these two things :

• What kind of season would Taylor have to have before they wouldn't draft his replacement? Perhaps a deep playoff run might do it, but the Bills remain a run-first team so Taylor won't have volume numbers. Without large numbers he'll just be a game manager no matter how well he plays.
  • Imagine the explosion if Beane doesn't use a first round pick on a QB. I'm not even sure the fan base will be satisfied without some kind of elaborate package deal. Of course the two or three QBs worth moving-up for will probably go to quarterback-desperate teams picking first. If the Bills find themselves again around Pick Ten the best of the remaining options might fall to them naturally.
So regardless of Taylor's season, they draft his replacement. However they might still keep him around his final contract year as a dead-man-walking. He'll be relatively cheap as QBs go, particularly given the payout required to void his contract. If he performs well in 2017 (and Peterman isn't thought ready) they may want Taylor for the option of keeping his rookie replacement on the bench, avoiding the pressure of playing him immediately.
I don't know, the Tyrod Taylor question is an even bigger question now.

I'm still relatively optimistic about this season. I think our defense is going to improve a good amount from last year. I think our run game is going to be right around the same maybe with a little drop off considering how historic it was last season. And I think that our WR corps is just better as a whole this year.

We'll see what happens with injuries, but if McDermott is what I think he is, I actually think this team is poised to make the playoffs as is. Maybe they even win a game or two.

(Yes, that's largely the homer in me talking and I realize that.)

So we make the playoffs, win a couple games, and Taylor has played pretty well. Now the team has to make a decision, not just on the draft but also on keeping Taylor next year considering the money he'll get next year. And if we keep him next year, is that a sign of another years worth of auditioning? Or is he gone after that year no matter what?

I think that answer comes in the form of what we do in the draft. Seems pretty clear we're drafting a QB in the first round at least at this moment. (I say at this moment, because we have a whole college football season ahead of us and does everyone remember what happened with Matt Barkley from one year to the next?) so we draft a QB in the first round but not until later in the first round is he the heir apparent?

We can all agree on the this: if Taylor doesn't improve seriously on his 2016 season, this team will unload at Arsenal to draft a QB high.

I think many are hoping that's what actually happens. I'd prefer Taylor just improve because, well, a bird in the bush... 0:)

Edited by transplantbillsfan

And he is hedging his bet by getting rid of Tyrod's favorite target.

If the Bills stink out of the gate this year (regardless of whether it is mostly the offense or defense at fault) I suspect the rookie Qb to come in and the coaching to throw in the towel. And as a season ticket holder who pays thousands of $$ every year for this - count me as pissed thinking that is what they are intending.

I don't understand how anyone who has watched or listened to McD could ever say he'd throw in the towel.