Being a Bills fan helped me today and it taught me something

cool story. you can meet Bills fans in the most unlikely of places and situations. with the drought being as long and depressing as it has been you wouldn't think the Bills would have so many fans around the country. but we forget that the Bills were so dominant in the 90's that we probably amassed a lot of fans in their late 30's-40's who grew up watching some really great teams

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Being African American the common narrative is its never a normal course of business. And there are cases where there's no such thing as common interest. Not trying to race bait at all. Just not that common where I'm from for a white law enforcement officer to have a decent convo with a African American especially after pulling him over.

We are in a military comunity and our local school is largely integrated. My daughter was in the musical this last school year and the discussion came up umong the black kids about being called African American and unanimously they wished to be called black. 12 kids in all. I believe we all have a prejudice in us wheter white black or otherwise. Lets just face it. All said what if you dont mind my asking is your reaction the the kids choice?

Btw, I work in a receiving department in a medium sized distribution center for a drug chain. I can tell you that the issues you most likely have with DOT is brought on by them having to deal with drivers of all races that are dirtbags.

Great story and thanks for sharing it. I read the race references as just context for how special this experience was for you, since the news is filled with stories of the opposite experience.

It's the internet; no matter how positive the story is, someone will twist it into their own narrative and blame you. Ignore it.

Peace

Great story and thanks for sharing it. I read the race references as just context for how special this experience was for you, since the news is filled with stories of the opposite experience.

It's the internet; no matter how positive the story is, someone will twist it into their own narrative and blame you. Ignore it.

Peace

It wasn't a twist. It's how I interpreted it. I was clearly wrong and I apologize to the OP and for anyone else who was offended by my apparent misinterpretation.

Peace, indeed.

I had three positive interactions with African Americans at work, just last night. Not one of them was a Bills fan, though. :(

That's cool. All are not bad. It's about giving people a chance to show you who they really are. Blacks have the tendency to think that every white person they come across don't like them because of their skin color and that's far from the case. Everytime me and my family visit Buffalo we enjoy not only the game but the hospitality extended to us by people of all race. I'll be there this year for the Broncos game.

I drive trucks for a living. Today in PA I was about to enter interstate 81 and a DOT officer pulled me over. I noticed he had a Bills sticker on the computer he was using in his vehicle. As he's running the info I told him I'm also a Bills fan. He asked me what made me a Bills fan being from Jersey. I explained to him why and then he told me what made him a Bills fan being from PA.

We went over so much as far as history, Sammy Watkins, Tyrod and all of our hopes. We talked so much that we were on the side of the highway and he didn't even want to go over my truck. I normally get agitated when I'm stopped by DOT, and all he was doing was his job. With all that's going on with law enforcement and the African American community I hope some people that rode by got to see that a relationship can develope and all it take is level heads and sometimes common grounds. This officer was very cool and I pray more are like him or he rub off on the ones that don't care to be like him somewhat.

Overall being a Bills fan finally paid off as of late. And I hope and pray that law enforcement and all communities find a way to coexist and weed out the bad on both sides.

Like you said common ground. Now if the officer had a New England Patriots sticker this would be a much different thread

It wasn't a twist. It's how I interpreted it. I was clearly wrong and I apologize to the OP and for anyone else who was offended by my apparent misinterpretation.

Peace, indeed.

Kudos Mr. G!

That's cool. I thought you were going to say "being a Bills fan taught me how to endure pain in a one-sided relationship".

This is a) funny b) daring because making a joke in a thread that has sensitive aspects to it is like walking on a high wire without a net.

I appreciate your work here!

We are in a military comunity and our local school is largely integrated. My daughter was in the musical this last school year and the discussion came up umong the black kids about being called African American and unanimously they wished to be called black. 12 kids in all. I believe we all have a prejudice in us wheter white black or otherwise. Lets just face it. All said what if you dont mind my asking is your reaction the the kids choice?

To your question. I don't see anything wrong with them wanting them to be identified with the only description they're familiar with. Either way is good with me. I think they just don't hear the term African American as commonly as our generation did. What I wish people would realize is that nobody have a say in the matter as far as what race, or color they are going to be born into. And if we did have a choice we would still be a diverse group of people anyway. My skin don't say anything about who I am. For the most part when I speak I speak with respect, when I get to know exactly who a person is then I speak from within. I will always be that way.

That's cool. All are not bad. It's about giving people a chance to show you who they really are. Blacks have the tendency to think that every white person they come across don't like them because of their skin color and that's far from the case. Everytime me and my family visit Buffalo we enjoy not only the game but the hospitality extended to us by people of all race. I'll be there this year for the Broncos game.

Be sure to take a walk trough Hammers Lot and taste some of Mead's stromboli....he and Mrs. Mead push that stuff until you're hooked (cheeseburger stromboli and breakfast sausage ones are amazing).

I've been to Paducah and you sir are no Paducahan.

Off topic question for you.

Why to truckers, in general, do everything possible to pull over to the left when another truck is sitting on the shoulder with flashers on, but, y'all don't mind blowing by a soccer mom on the shoulder with a minimum of clearance.

I got this one for ya buddy.

Better view of the soccer milf. Duh

Peace, indeed.

Apology accepted would just like to move on. Situations like this is the reason why it's hard to come together as one and live our lives without constantly degrading one another. That's why I can't stand all of these slave movies and history remakes that keep popping up over the past couple of years. Its like somebody want to keep picking at the wound and not letting it heal. There's a movie coming out called Detroit I think. To me right now it serves no purpose. If anything it will cause a further divide. That's why I'm saying let's move on and get ready to support our Bills. Thanks and God bless.