Adolphus Washington arrest -concealed weapon Part II

Careful not to assume the worst. It appears, based on everything that has been reported, that AW's actions weren't all that egregious. Let's wait and see before we condemn the man.

I don't mean to sound like I am condemning the man. My issue is that it sounds like a case of irresponsible gun ownership. It seems quite typical of pro athlete gun ownership. I just believe that too many of these guys own firearms for the wrong reasons.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Careful not to assume the worst. It appears, based on everything that has been reported, that AW's actions weren't all that egregious. Let's wait and see before we condemn the man.

I honestly think he picked it up to move it. Dumb? Yes. Criminal? Only if being a moron is a crime.

He was supposed to either keep it concealed, or tell the police that he had it before they saw it. He apparently did neither. Tons of people with a CC permit carry guns in their cars everywhere. So that's not out of the ordinary. He took it out and they saw it, that's the issue. I don't know why he took it out but I assume it had something to do with why there were cops trying to clear out the parking lot of Splash Cincy at 10 pm.

Good post. I was wondering the same thing. Why are the cops "clearing a crowd" out of a water park at 10 pm? The crowd also just happened to include Washington.

I don't mean to sound like I am condemning the man. My issue is that it sounds like a case of irresponsible gun ownership. It seems quite typical of pro athlete gun ownership. I just believe that too many of these guys own firearms for the wrong reasons.

Again, you double down with your racist sentiment. "I just believe that too many of these guys own firearms for the wrong reasons."

Stop posting in this thread.

Actually being a moron can be a crime. Ask the millions of people in prison verses those smart enough not to be there.

Yeah, okay...

Again, you double down with your racist sentiment. "I just believe that too many of these guys own firearms for the wrong reasons."

Yeah, okay...

This is the reason Chandler restarted this thread. His sentence before that stating "these guys" as pro athletes not a specific race of athletes. Why go there?

Of the 2800 Athletes in the NFL alone right now (90 per roster) what would you say is the per diam of gun owners? 50%? So 50% own a gun and about 1 a year has a gun related issue? Thats 1400/1. No,thats not an issue.

That is law. For his protection he can. That said a moron doesnt say excuse me officer I have my permitted handgun on me.

Chandler! Im a Conservative and he claims I talk like this. Ban him for life or more!!!

Life + 3 days (just to be sure)

For the Constitutionally protected use of guns by gnomes, pool boys, playful bikini clad waterpark spies, and of course big NFL players in fear for their lives at said waterpark.

:lol:

Yeah, the Patriots* haven't had any players who've found themselves in legal trouble.

Yes, but they sure have a lot of slow white guys and win a lot of Super Bowls with them...

Edited by T-Bomb

Everything I read says that Washington "reached for and displayed the firearm in front of officers". I simply feel like none of us know the entire story. Imo there is probably more to the story. None of it likely flattering for Washington. Responsible firearm ownership is great. Unfortunately I think too many pro athletes are the opposite of that. Many of these guys own firearms for all the wrong reasons.

One of the unwritten (or maybe written) rules of gun ownership is to alert police that you have a firearm if they are in the vicinity. Obviously I have no idea what happened here, but I'd like to think it's at least possible AW was actually taking his gun out intentionally to show the police he had it.

Still dumb to carry it without the requisite permit in the first place, but better than having it "found" in an even more concealed position.

One of the unwritten (or maybe written) rules of gun ownership is to alert police that you have a firearm if they are in the vicinity. Obviously I have no idea what happened here, but I'd like to think it's at least possible AW was actually taking his gun out intentionally to show the police he had it.

Still dumb to carry it without the requisite permit in the first place, but better than having it "found" in an even more concealed position.

he has a permit

Yeah, okay...

Some gun owners are hunters, some gun owners feel the need to protect their family. I know many gun owners who fall into both categories. There is another set of people who carry guns because they treat it like a toy that's part of a lifestyle. I will admit that the conversation probably belongs in PPP, but I think a lot of NFL players probably fit into that category. Sadly, clowns like you have to scream racism at everything. I suppose if I were to talk about urban gun violence and culture that would be racist too.

You Can Carry Assault Weapons Outside GOP Convention, But Not Toy Guns

Cleveland officials confirmed this week that because of the state’s open carry laws, firearms can be carried in the public areas surrounding the convention site

Cleveland has banned a wide array of items inside a broad zone in downtown Cleveland around the convention site, including water guns, toy guns, knives, aerosol cans, rope, tennis balls and others. But because of Ohio’s open carry laws, protesters who legally own a firearm will be allowed to carry it near the convention center.

This is the reason Chandler restarted this thread. His sentence before that stating "these guys" as pro athletes not a specific race of athletes. Why go there?

Of the 2800 Athletes in the NFL alone right now (90 per roster) what would you say is the per diam of gun owners? 50%? So 50% own a gun and about 1 a year has a gun related issue? Thats 1400/1. No,thats not an issue.

I'm not sure about the numbers, but I do know that 12 NFL have been shot since 2006. Countless more have been charged with gun related offenses. This is a higher number than many other sports. That's why I cringe when I read a story about an NFL player being irresponsible with a gun.

As usual we have a headline with no details. So we'll just fill in the blanks. All I will say is I thought having a gun in America is considered acceptable behavior.

You are required to inform law enforcement you are carrying when you are stopped by them. I'm sure you can piece together why.

Yeah, okay...

Holy smokes delete your account.

Edited by jmc12290

You are required to inform law enforcement you are carrying when you are stopped by them. I'm sure you can piece together why.

Exactly. Gun ownership and constitutional rights have little to do with this issue. It's simply stupid to flash a gun around in the presence of a police officer. Everyone is lucky that it turned out as well as it did.

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Law-Enforcement/Concealed-Carry/Concealed-Carry-Laws-Manual-%28PDF%29

Assuming he had a CCW license, the only thing he did wrong was showed the firearm 'in plan sight' to the officers. The correct action would be to simply inform the officers that you have a concealed firearm and a valid permit and keep hands away from the firearm.

Some gun owners are hunters, some gun owners feel the need to protect their family. I know many gun owners who fall into both categories. There is another set of people who carry guns because they treat it like a toy that's part of a lifestyle. I will admit that the conversation probably belongs in PPP, but I think a lot of NFL players probably fit into that category. Sadly, clowns like you have to scream racism at everything. I suppose if I were to talk about urban gun violence and culture that would be racist too.

I'm going to take the high road here. Don't you have a Klan rally that you're supposed to be at?

Nobody likes you, and your mother dresses you funny. Kick rocks, twatwaffle.