Why the Playoffs are a Real Possibility

H2o

I find myself getting caught up in the doom and gloom at times, I must admit. But the more I look at the statistics, the changes made, the people brought in to replace those who left, the new coaching staff in place, and what we still have I am starting to have more of a glimmer of hope for this year.

On offense we still have our whole OL intact, with the addition of a potential upgrade at RT in Dawkins. This is the rushing attack that was #1 in the league last year. We still have Tyrod, Shady, Sammy(who should be 100%), and Clay. Tyrod is not really my guy, but I have said we can win with him. He is also going into this year un a familiar system with Dennison at the helm. For all of the talk about how great Prescott was last year, he only averaged around 40 more yards passing per game than Taylor. You throw in Zay Jones, Holmes, Brown, Streater, and I think we have a better WR group than 2016. People also talk about the loss of TD Mike, but backups have been plug and play for us the last couple of years. Hopefully a healthy J Will takes those reigns. There is no reason to believe this unit should not be better than last year. We need healthy starters. That is the key. A full 16 from Sammy, Tyrod, Shady, and Clay. Hopefully the heavens smile upon us in that regard this year.

On defense we are heading back to the 4-3, the perfect fit for our personnel on defense. Letting the 4 guys get after it up front is gonna be huge. Imo, it is not out of the realm of thinking that all 4 of these guys could make the Pro Bowl. People will say Shaq is an unknown, he looked lost last year, it was a bad pick. I will say that I watched him dominate in a 4-3 at Clemson and I think you will see him take a huge step forward this year. People will say we don't have a Kuechley or Thomas Davis on this defense. I will say that we have a healthy Ragland, a great signing in Hodges, a better fit in a 4-3 in Preston Brown, and the ageless wonder in Alexander. Outside of 3 really bad performances last year they were solid against the run even with the Ryan buffoons calling the defense. The main question is how the Secondary performs. Micah Hyde was a huge get for us, but is Poyer gonna be able to hold down that other S spot? Which Darby will we get? The rookie version that was better than Gilmore or the 2nd year version that looked lost at times? Is White the real deal? From all accounts he was outstanding in the offseason workouts. How does the rest of the depth chart fill out? Again hopefully we get some good fortune with injuries, but I expect a top 10 unit to be on the field for us again in 2017.

In summary I think we are overall a better team from a coaching standpoint alone by shedding the dead weight of the Ryan's. The system changes that fit our personnel, the familiar offense for Tyrod, and the additions we made will upgrade this team despite how some view the losses of Gilmore and TD Mike. Hopefully it all comes together, but to me this team seems different than those I had hopes for in years past. I may be throwing in the towel by the end of October, but for now I think this may be the year the drought finally ends.

One last note to throw in there. If Tyrod throws for another 40 yards a game we have a top 10 offense last year. If not for the meltdowns on defense twice against the Dolphins and once against Pittsburgh we have a top 10 defense. The only team to be top 10 in both last year? The team that won the SB, the New England Patriots. Here's to hope in the offseason. :thumbsup:

Edited by H2o

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find myself getting caught up in the doom and gloom at times, I must admit. But the more I look at the statistics, the changes made, the people brought in to replace those who left, the new coaching staff in place, and what we still have I am starting to have more of a glimmer of hope for this year.

On offense we still have our whole OL intact, with the addition of a potential upgrade at RT in Dawkins. This is the rushing attack that was #1 in the league last year. We still have Tyrod, Shady, Sammy(who should be 100%), and Clay. Tyrod is not really my guy, but I have said we can win with him. He is also going into this year un a familiar system with Dennison at the helm. For all of the talk about how great Prescott was last year, he only averaged around 40 more yards passing per game than Taylor. You throw in Zay Jones, Holmes, Brown, Streater, and I think we have a better WR group than 2016. People also talk about the loss of TD Mike, but backups have been plug and play for us the last couple of years. Hopefully a healthy J Will takes those reigns. There is no reason to believe this unit should not be better than last year. We need healthy starters. That is the key. A full 16 from Sammy, Tyrod, Shady, and Clay. Hopefully the heavens smile upon us in that regard this year.

On defense we are heading back to the 4-3, the perfect fit for our personnel on defense. Letting the 4 guys get after it up front is gonna be huge. Imo, it is not out of the realm of thinking that all 4 of these guys could make the Pro Bowl. People will say Shaq is an unknown, he looked lost last year, it was a bad pick. I will say that I watched him dominate in a 4-3 at Clemson and I think you will see him take a huge step forward this year. People will say we don't have a Kuechley or Thomas Davis on this defense. I will say that we have a healthy Ragland, a great signing in Hodges, a better fit in a 4-3 in Preston Brown, and the ageless wonder in Alexander. Outside of 3 really bad performances last year they were solid against the run even with the Ryan buffoons calling the defense. The main question is how the Secondary performs. Micah Hyde was a huge get for us, but is Poyer gonna be able to hold down that other S spot? Which Darby will we get? The rookie version that was better than Gilmore or the 2nd year version that looked lost at times? Is White the real deal? From all accounts he was outstanding in the offseason workouts. How does the rest of the depth chart fill out? Again hopefully we get some good fortune with injuries, but I expect a top 10 unit to be on the field for us again in 2017.

In summary I think we are overall a better team from a coaching standpoint alone by shedding the dead weight of the Ryan's. The system changes that fit our personnel, the familiar offense for Tyrod, and the additions we made will upgrade this team despite how some view the losses of Gilmore and TD Mike. Hopefully it all comes together, but to me this team seems different than those I had hopes for in years past. I may be throwing in the towel by the end of October, but for now I think this may be the year the drought finally ends.

Love your optimism, but yoy lost me when you said it wasn't out of the realm of possibility that all 4 DL make the pro bowl. Has that EVER happened? Alot of talent across the league to assume our 4 are the best 4 lol

I think that the playoffs are a possibility but the Bills will need a lot of luck. I have them between 6-10 & 10-6. They probably need 10-6 to get in. They will need to stay healthy to have any shot.

You just described the entire 2017 NFL except for the Jets and Patriots where their fates are nearly certain

That is what makes the NFL great

Almost every city has a hope

Ours came the day Rex was fired

You just described the entire 2017 NFL except for the Jets and Patriots where their fates are nearly certain

That's a good point. There are probably like 2 dozen teams that fall in this range.

Love your optimism, but yoy lost me when you said it wasn't out of the realm of possibility that all 4 DL make the pro bowl. Has that EVER happened? Alot of talent across the league to assume our 4 are the best 4 lol

Didn't say they would all be 1st team All Pro, but they could possibly all make the Pro Bowl. This defense is the one that Kyle, Dareus, Hughes, and Lawson best fit. We could easily be among the league leaders in sacks again. If it is spread around and guys are getting after it don't rule it out. Also, if the team is playing well those guys will get that much more of a boost. I didn't come down from a mountain with this carved in stone or anything, but it could happen. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately because the good one is the pats, our road in is much harder

Unfortunately because the good one is the pats, our road in is much harder

I see your point but the wildcard is a lower bar with 8-8 getting you in during a fluke year.

If you are in a crappy division( Colts or 2014 Panthers) it clearly does help though.....

Here's to Brady aging overnight!!!!

Didn't say they would all be 1st team All Pro, but they could possibly all make the Pro Bowl. This defense is the one that Kyle, Dareus, Hughes, and Lawson best fit. We could easily be among the league leaders in sacks again. If it is spread around and guys are getting after it don't rule it out. Also, if the team is playing well those guys will get that much more of a boost. I didn't come down from a mountain with this carved in stone or anything, but it could happen. :thumbsup:

Lol...gotcha. I can see a very good year for the boys up front. I was just kinda being funny...but I Do, however, wonder if thats ever happened. Four DL from the same team, same year, making the pro bowl. If not, I'd like to make it happen👍

I see your point but the wildcard is a lower bar with 8-8 getting you in during a fluke year.

If you are in a crappy division( Colts or 2014 Panthers) it clearly does help though.....

Here's to Brady aging overnight!!!!

"I see your point but I agree" is what I essentially just read!

But yea, having the pats in the division both eliminates 1 of the 3 slots we can compete for (and the one we most control our own destiny for) and hangs 2 losses on us when competing with 11 other teams for two wild card spots.

But yea, having the pats in the division both eliminates 1 of the 3 slots we can compete for (and the one we most control our own destiny for) and hangs 2 losses on us when competing with 11 other teams for two wild card spots.

I'd bet, without looking, that the AFC East has produced the fewest playoff teams since the Pats reign started. I guess the South is possible but the AFC East is certainly less than the North or West.

I'd bet, without looking, that the AFC East has produced the fewest playoff teams since the Pats reign started. I guess the South is possible but the AFC East is certainly less than the North or West.

has to be

The Pats haven't kept us from winning a Wild card for 17 years....,.

Correct (Since '02 with the division realignment). 2007 Saved the AFC South, as they had 3 teams make it that year.

AFCE: 20

AFCN: 26

AFCS: 22

AFCW: 22

NFCE: 25

NFCN: 23

NFCS: 21

NFCW: 21