Injuries are bad

Was anyone shocked to see that injuries would have 'some' impact on a team's performance? I don't see this chart telling me anything that I didn't already know.

I'm planning on doing my doctoral thesis on the daily diminished amount of sunlight at night.

Was anyone shocked to see that injuries would have 'some' impact on a team's performance? I don't see this chart telling me anything that I didn't already know.

I'm planning on doing my doctoral thesis on the daily diminished amount of sunlight at night.

There are always plenty of 'I don't want to hear excuses' fans when it comes to injuries.

Is that like the paper on the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide?

no.

he's just a small dude. he doesn't play big. chris hogan is the same size and will take a hit and plays big. sammy isn't boxing out db's or doing what some of the premier wr's are doing.

Chris 1 yard shy of the first down marker Hogan plays big? Raysis!

He also doesn't have a large catch radius, or use his body well to shield defenders. He definitely plays small.

but but but he's 6'1 and 200 lbs.

seriously, that's the size of most high school juniors

....I'm thinkin' C+ at best................

6'1" 211 isn't awfully small for a WR... not by a long shot.

Yea I was about to respond to that post. Watkins size has nothing to do with his injuries. He's 23 , younger than some rookies. He caught some bad breaks on the injury front. He has also shown the toughness and willingness to play with injuries and be productive!

Keep in mind that teams that are struggling and out of playoff contention early on will sit players with injuries who normally would play and also place more of them on IR.

Rusty Jones was the Strength and Conditioning coach with the Bears who had a lot of injuries.

The Bills since Jones left had seasons with a lot of injuries and other seasons which they were very minimal.

The loss of Jones isn't or wasn't a factor IMO.

Here's the 2015 NFL injuries list by total amount of lost starts.

6 of the top 10 teams with the most injuries were in the playoffs including both Super Bowl teams.

Bills were 29th.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/32for32x151021/ranking-most-banged-nfl-teams-1-32

Yes, the Bears had a lot of injuries in 2016, as the chart shows. Rusty Jones retired in 2013. During the Rusty Jones era, the Bears overall had few injuries, even when they weren't a particularly good team.

The Bills indeed went up and down but overall their injury level since Rusty left has been high.

Edited by Thurman#1

But data is beautiful...

Make of it what you will, probably no big surprise that the teams with the most injuries can't do well. And probably no surprise that we were the 5th most injured team last year.

Hoping the new administration can get a grip on this issue that has been killing us for what seems like ever since Rusty Jones left.

OTZeGIE.jpg

That's not entirely true with the Bills...they had a year a few years ago(maybe last year under Marrone?) when they had almost nobody injured and we still sucked. The training staff won an award after that year if I remember correctly...

Also from Football Outsider studies I've read in the past, there is no correlation between injuries a team suffers one year and injuries they suffer in the following years. IE, a team that is really injured one year can be one of the least injured the following year. A team that is one of the least injured this year can be the most injured the next year. So many injuries are just freak things that happen that would be avoided if the player was an inch or two in another direction, there is no way of telling when a player is goig to suffer a severe injury.

Also suprisingly enough, they found there is almost no correlation between field goal percentage from year to another either, but there IS a large correlation between kick off distances from one year to another(actually one of the highest correlated stats in all of football), so they suggest always looking first for kickoff distance in a kicker rather than FG Percentage.

Edited by matter2003