Vacationing in NY

section122

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lake George is beautiful. Ride one of the tour boats (ship) around the lake. Lot of out let's down the road for shopping on a rainy day. Drive to Baseball hall of fame

Nice ride to fort William Henry

Lunch with mead

Ride down to Albany to the history museum

Howe cavern

Hoffman's playland at huckfinns warehouse lots of rides for little kids in Albany.

2 hour drive to lake placid.

Saratoga. Cute city. Lot of history good food

Ithaca. We've done this the last few years with little

Ones.

Hang out at the beach at Cayuga. I know you don't hike but they have a nice and easy like 1 mile stroller friendly Hike to a waterfall.

Plus they have a first rate children's museum.

Add in there a hotel with an outdoor pool and a chick fil a, and it is pretty much ideal for a 2.5 year old.

Six Mile Creek winery is good. I am friends with the owner he parks at Hammers

Wine tasting! Either Finger Lakes (which I love) or Niagara County Wine Trail (which I also love because it is close - gotta love Western New York!).

I put together a list of a ton of things to do in Western New York. To date, it is over several hundred things to do on that list that do not cost a lot. People simply do not realize how much there is to do in the area - nature, wine, arts, sports, museums, and more. New York State is simply gorgeous.

have you been to willow creek? Western trail goes in to pa.

I'll second Burlington, VT as an option. Really beautiful little city on the shore of lake Champlain. Downtown full of cool shops and restaurants, and the Echo Aquarium and Science center is great for young children. Tons of breweries within a short driving distance. Nearby ski resorts have family friendly activities going on in the summer time.

Stop on the way up at the Hammersticks' home for a hot shower and a cold beer ;)

Back in 1968, we were going to see DC, but that was the summer of the riots (MLK dying). So instead we went around NY State. We went to the 1000 Islands, Massena, Ausable Cjasm, Lake George, Hyde park (FDR's grave, etc) and West Point. My parents, me (11), my sister (9), and my brother (6 months).

Back in 1968, we were going to see DC, but that was the summer of the riots (MLK dying). So instead we went around NY State. We went to the 1000 Islands, Massena, Ausable Cjasm, Lake George, Hyde park (FDR's grave, etc) and West Point. My parents, me (11), my sister (9), and my brother (6 months).

Did you get to see the Eisenhower Locks in Massena? ;-) ;-)

We did The Soo last year. I was like a kid in a candy shop! He he ;-) :-)

If you would have went through Niagara Falls the following year (1969) you would have caught them stopping the American Falls.

Niagara Falls shut off & dewatered (1969):

Amfallsdewatered1.jpg

Lake George is awesome for kids!

We did that one year, but don't remember it too well... I think 2006. Forget where we stayed, but @ housekeeping cottages. I do remember the Rodeo in Lake Luzerne though... Kids loved that.

http://www.paintedponyrodeo.com/schedule.asp

I am more partial to our Long Lake stays. "Housekeeping cabins" @ Camp Hilary

It's closed now (2010):

http://www.CampHilary.com

Wife had been going there for years through her youth.

These might be past your travel tolerance but since you mentioned Maine, maybe not. These are all with a 2 1/2 year old in mind...that's a decade or so away so I could be out of touch.

Lancaster, PA area

- Dutch Wonderland (ooooold school amusement park catering to younguns)

- Hershey Park (surprising number of kiddie rides plus a small zoo)

- Strasburg railroad (might get lucky and get a Thomas the Tank Engine weekend)

- Amish stuff (we never did this, but probably some cool stuff)

- Gettysburg not too far away, but I doubt that's appealing for the youngun.

Mystic CT

- aquarium (Belugas!)

- cool little seaport "town"

- nearby is Essex CT with steam trains and possibly Thomas the Tank Engine

- nearby is New London CT and submarine stuff

Eastern PA

- Sesame Place

- Crayola Factory (Easton, PA)...honestly this was so/so for us...maybe my kids were cranky

- Franklin Institute (kids museum) is great...Philly is a surprisingly good city

- NJ aquarium (Hippos!)

Edited by LI_Bills

These might be past your travel tolerance but since you mentioned Maine, maybe not. These are all with a 2 1/2 year old in mind...that's a decade or so away so I could be out of touch.

Lancaster, PA area

- Dutch Wonderland (ooooold school amusement park catering to younguns)

- Hershey Park (surprising number of kiddie rides plus a small zoo)

- Strasburg railroad (might get lucky and get a Thomas the Tank Engine weekend)

- Amish stuff (we never did this, but probably some cool stuff)

- Gettysburg not too far away, but I doubt that's appealing for the youngun.

Mystic CT

- aquarium (Belugas!)

- cool little seaport "town"

- nearby is Essex CT with steam trains and possibly Thomas the Tank Engine

- nearby is New London CT and submarine stuff

Eastern PA

- Sesame Place

- Crayola Factory (Easton, PA)...honestly this was so/so for us...maybe my kids were cranky

- Franklin Institute (kids museum) is great...Philly is a surprisingly good city

- NJ aquarium (Hippos!)

+1 on Sesame Place, especially for that age

http://chq.org

Chautauqua Institute... Hey gotta represent the Southern Tier. ;-)

In addition to Chautauqua Institute, Chautauqua County has Midway State Park on the northern side of the lake which is a former amusement park geared for younger children. There are a couple of tour boats on Chautauqua Lake as well as Long Point State Park for swimming. I believe the Stowe Ferry is still operating on week ends (it costs a donation to take your car across the lake) between Stowe, NY and Bemis Point which is a cute little tourist town on the other side. Jamestown has the Luci Desi Museum and the LuciFest which celebrate the life of comedienne Lucille Ball.

Panama Rocks in the southern part of the county are huge boulders left from the erosion of an old seabed. They're not a hard hike at all as they're geared toward tourists not hikers.

The western part of the county has a compact wine trail consisting of several wineries between Silver Creek and Westfield. Dunkirk has a wonderful harbor for strolling and couple of nice beaches: Pt Gratoit (pronounced Gratchit) and Wright Park. Pt Gratiot also has an historic lighthouse.

Chautauqua County is primarily rural with a lot of Amish living in the southern and eastern parts of the county (Panama, Sherman, Cherry Creek, Randolph). These Amish communities also stretch into neighboring Cattaraugus County and northwest PA, and are much less commercial than the Amish communities around Lancaster, PA. The area abounds with farmers markets. The Chautauqua County Fair runs from July 24 through July 30.

For shopping, entertainment, and more museums and beaches, Erie, PA is about 45 miles away via I-86. Check out the Erie Maritime Museum and Presque Isle State Park (which is free).

Edited by SoTier

We spend a week in Wells Beach, Maine every summer. Typically, you can find more reasonable lodging rates in August. Beaches, good food and relaxation (and other fun stuff for the kiddies). Love me some Maine.

We looked hard at Maine and even reached out to their travel office but didn't get much help we will definitely look into this!

i know the thousand islands quite well, and it works for kids. as others have mentioned, it's great for boating, water sports, food etc.

we're actually going to lake george next week for about 5 days. the place we're staying is pricey, but the pictures look amazing. our daughter is 2 and a couple of months, and apparently there's a lot to do for little ones. there's even an amusement park geared to very young kids. i'm not looking forward to the 4 hour drive from rochester, but my sister in law raved about their trip last year, so we are giving it a go. i can let you know more after the 4th.

Please let me know how it goes! With so many recommendations for Lake George it has moved to the front of the list. I have a college buddy from Glens Falls so that might even be a perfect home base so Saratoga and Lake George can happen.

bring a coat. it was in the 60's for the high today up there.

Not a chance. 60s are shorts and t-shirt weather!

Ithaca. We've done this the last few years with little

Ones.

Hang out at the beach at Cayuga. I know you don't hike but they have a nice and easy like 1 mile stroller friendly Hike to a waterfall.

Plus they have a first rate children's museum.

Add in there a hotel with an outdoor pool and a chick fil a, and it is pretty much ideal for a 2.5 year old.

Ithaca is only about 35 minutes from me so we do a lot of day trips there. In the fall I ref High School Soccer in that area so I spend a lot of time there. I hate the idea of paying for a room that close to home. I'd rather just sleep in my own bed (yes I'm cheap :bag: )

Wine tasting! Either Finger Lakes (which I love) or Niagara County Wine Trail (which I also love because it is close - gotta love Western New York!).

I put together a list of a ton of things to do in Western New York. To date, it is over several hundred things to do on that list that do not cost a lot. People simply do not realize how much there is to do in the area - nature, wine, arts, sports, museums, and more. New York State is simply gorgeous.

I live in the Finger Lakes and we do many a wine tour as well. This summer we will be doing a brewery tour as many have started to pop up on the wine trails. Do you care to share your list? If it is extensive I can pm you my email address.

I'll second Burlington, VT as an option. Really beautiful little city on the shore of lake Champlain. Downtown full of cool shops and restaurants, and the Echo Aquarium and Science center is great for young children. Tons of breweries within a short driving distance. Nearby ski resorts have family friendly activities going on in the summer time.

Stop on the way up at the Hammersticks' home for a hot shower and a cold beer ;)

Hey honey we are gonna have some guests over tonight. Yeah I know him, well we talk on that football board you say I spend too much time on. Yeah he's from my hometown we know a lot of the same people. He's friends with Fitz.

and then I get disinvited :lol:;)

Eastern PA

- Sesame Place

- NJ aquarium (Hippos!)

Sesame Place was on the list but we didn't know what else was around and neither of us were pumped about the idea of 3 days with Elmo. Thank you for this though as it might make the trip more worth it!

Hey honey we are gonna have some guests over tonight. Yeah I know him, well we talk on that football board you say I spend too much time on. Yeah he's from my hometown we know a lot of the same people. He's friends with Fitz.

and then I get disinvited :lol:;)

As long as we don't mention the bolded to my wife we'll be just fine :lol::lol:

i know the thousand islands quite well, and it works for kids. as others have mentioned, it's great for boating, water sports, food etc.

we're actually going to lake george next week for about 5 days. the place we're staying is pricey, but the pictures look amazing. our daughter is 2 and a couple of months, and apparently there's a lot to do for little ones. there's even an amusement park geared to very young kids. i'm not looking forward to the 4 hour drive from rochester, but my sister in law raved about their trip last year, so we are giving it a go. i can let you know more after the 4th.

Have fun in LG...Gugny and I are right down the road. Hammersticks is just over the border.

Leave a message in this thread if you get arrested and need help.

I would second presque isle in Erie. Great little beaches; paved bike and walking trail; good spot to fly kites and fish. There is a great water park close too--splash lagoon-- which I haven't been to but my nephews and nieces loved.

They have a few interesting beaches... If you are into that kind of thing.

When I was w/USACE-BFLo, we worked on the beach erosion project, building and surveying those rock mounds that parallel the beaches.

Amazing going there 25 years later and seeing how well it worked!

Have fun in LG...Gugny and I are right down the road. Hammersticks is just over the border.

Leave a message in this thread if you get arrested and need help.

hell, come on down and party with us.

apparently we're staying at a place called the lodges at cresthaven. let's !@#$ that place up.

hell, come on down and party with us.

apparently we're staying at a place called the lodges at cresthaven. let's !@#$ that place up.

Fergs, pick me up and let's go party with Teef!