Vince Young cut (update: and complaining)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At VY's interception rate, if he had 166 TDs like Fitz, he would have had 184 interceptions...51 more INTs than Fitz. If you're going to call someone out for something (as a reason why you should be playing over them), you should at least be able to demonstrate that you are better than that person in that particular stat.

Exactly the reason that particular point is so nonsensical. The reason VY isn't in the NFL is totally on him.

Guest NeckBeard

1) Sully sucks and I wish he got called out more for terrible takes.

2). VY was a great college qb. But he is probably one of the dumbest qbs ever.

Yes, and yes. Still, I remember the brief window of time (1 year) where VY was regarded as the savior of that team... until he threw his gear into the stands, then walked off the field, in the subsequent season.

Edited by NeckBeard

Exactly the reason that particular point is so nonsensical. The reason VY isn't in the NFL is totally on him.

And yet as a rookie he made it to the Pro Bowl, even though he threw more interceptions than touchdowns that year. :mellow:

I also remember after that year, NFL Films made a documentary on the history of black quarterbacks. It was very good, and they even did a segment on Vince Young. One of the people in the documentary, who I believe was a former player, sorry I can't remember his name, said that Vince Young would be in the Hall of Fame. :huh:

And yet as a rookie he made it to the Pro Bowl, even though he threw more interceptions than touchdowns that year. :mellow:

I also remember after that year, NFL Films made a documentary on the history of black quarterbacks. It was very good, and they even did a segment on Vince Young. One of the people in the documentary, who I believe was a former player, sorry I can't remember his name, said that Vince Young would be in the Hall of Fame. :huh:

God, the pro bowl is completely meaningless.

Guest NeckBeard

VY is not on an NFL roster because he whines and complains all the time. Fitzy is never happy when he eventually gets benched, but generally handles it well. He knows he is a backup.

VY is not on an NFL roster because he doesn't work hard, and plays the position from a single vantage point. We saw this first hand when he was with the Bills. Now he's old and out of shape (and injured). I've seen many prima donna types at the QB position come and go over the years (Tom Brady is my current favorite to pick on in this regard), and I think we can agree that it takes way more than being a great college QB, and highly-touted NFL prospect to succeed at the position. VY has been nothing but yet another guy who is living in the past, can't toe the line, can't do the job, etc. He has nothing to say about guys like Fitz and Gabbert. VY was a non factor in year 2. Year 2!

Edited by NeckBeard

In Vince Young's defense...Ryan Fitzpatrick is probably the most over paid QB since JaMarcus Russell. He's not a very good starter and I hated almost his entire tenure here with the Bills as a starting QB. Every team he has played for has given up on him as a starter because they guy just isn't good enough. He's a very good backup QB, but not a guy who can lead you anywhere and teams typically realize that his negatives out weigh his positives within a year or two of him starting. He is the definition of the term "Fools Gold"...just good enough to give you hope, but bad enough to prove the hope was misguided and false.

His positives, are that he's a great locker room guy and probably has the mind to be a great coach one day if he chooses. He is very likable and a great teammate and leader on the teams he played for.

However: Vince Young is way worse in every single category you can measure a QB. The only thing he does better than Fitz is run faster...however, I actually think Fitz is a better and smarter scrambler than VY, its just VY is faster in a foot race.

Conclusion: Fitz is getting paid and VY isn't because VY is not a good QB, lacks field general traits, doesn't have a good mind for the game, and isn't a a locker room favorite or leader. So while I agree with WTF were they thinking type moment when you realize how much teams paid Fitz to literally do nothing for them...not one playoff appearance despite some very talented rosters he was one...he is still a guy teams will choose over VY 100% of the time.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Guest NeckBeard

In Vince Young's defense...Ryan Fitzpatrick is probably the most over paid QB since JaMarcus Russell. He's not a very good starter and I hated almost his entire tenure here with the Bills as a starting QB. Every team he has played for has given up on him as a starter because they guy just isn't good enough. He's a very good backup QB, but not a guy who can lead you anywhere and teams typically realize that his negatives out weigh his positives within a year or two of him starting. He is the definition of the term "Fools Gold"...just good enough to give you hope, but bad enough to prove the hope was misguided and false.

His positives, are that he's a great locker room guy and probably has the mind to be a great coach one day if he chooses. He is very likable and a great teammate and leader on the teams he played for.

However: Vince Young is way worse in every single category you can measure a QB. The only thing he does better than Fitz is run faster...however, I actually think Fitz is a better and smarter scrambler than VY, its just VY is faster in a foot race.

Conclusion: Fitz is getting paid and VY isn't because VY is not a good QB, lacks field general traits, doesn't have a good mind for the game, and isn't a a locker room favorite or leader. So while I agree with WTF were they thinking type moment when you realize how much teams paid Fitz to literally do nothing for them...not one playoff appearance despite some very talented rosters he was one...he is still a guy teams will choose over VY 100% of the time.

I think that Fitz was overpaid in Buffalo, but in the grand scheme of things he's been paid for what his stature allows. I agree with you tho that VY really and truly sucked. VY has no stones to throw, and it's troubling that he picks a stone out of thin air and throws them anyways.

You're ALL missing the point.

The man has to go to the meat department, and settle for the CHEAPEAST cuts of meat they have!!!!

He cant order Turkey Breast, or even a delicious Turkey LEG!

TURKEY NECKS is all this poor guy can afford! -To go from "making it rain" in strip joints to un-seasoned turkey necks is a hard fall....

F___ Fitz! -I think VY deserves another shot!

Guest NeckBeard

That's what a reporter should be asking Vince.

Maybe they did, and it just didn't get included? I bet they did, but the funner article was one where VY just aired his dirty laundry.

That's why teams don't take a chance on a guy like him.

It's not just about talent. It's about character and maturity. It's one thing to be so talented teams cut you slack when you say dumb things. But when your not even a fringe player and you make stupid comments like that, what GM is going to want you in the locker room? What players are going to want to play with you.

Fitz is probably one of the most respected players in the league. Granted, he's not the most talented, but honestly his preparation and smarts got him farther than most. There are a lot of former Fitz teammates that wouldn't even want VY anywhere near their locker room, and would probably have words with him if they ever saw him because of this. Players know the difference between a guy without a lot of talent who works his butt off and a guy with a ton of talent who is lazy and immature.

If VY would have dedicated himself to the game and prepared as much as Fitz has in his career he'd be still playing, and would have experienced great success.

But when you don't dedicate yourself to your craft, your lazy and unmotivated because of all the zeros in your bank acct (that have since vanished), he got what he deserved.

That's why teams don't take a chance on a guy like him.

It's not just about talent. It's about character and maturity. It's one thing to be so talented teams cut you slack when you say dumb things. But when your not even a fringe player and you make stupid comments like that, what GM is going to want you in the locker room? What players are going to want to play with you.

Fitz is probably one of the most respected players in the league. Granted, he's not the most talented, but honestly his preparation and smarts got him farther than most. There are a lot of former Fitz teammates that wouldn't even want VY anywhere near their locker room, and would probably have words with him if they ever saw him because of this. Players know the difference between a guy without a lot of talent who works his butt off and a guy with a ton of talent who is lazy and immature.

If VY would have dedicated himself to the game and prepared as much as Fitz has in his career he'd be still playing, and would have experienced great success.

But when you don't dedicate yourself to your craft, your lazy and unmotivated because of all the zeros in your bank acct (that have since vanished), he got what he deserved.

Respected? He whined like a little B word when he was deservedly benched last season after playing like crap: http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/bob-glauber/ryan-fitzpatrick-self-pity-doesn-t-become-you-1.12501327

Guest NeckBeard

Respected? He whined like a little B word when he was deservedly benched last season after playing like crap: http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/bob-glauber/ryan-fitzpatrick-self-pity-doesn-t-become-you-1.12501327

He certainly did, but then again, who would have thunk that a 7th round pick -- from 2005, no less -- could have stayed in the league this long? I have no idea about who was advising him to hold out from the Jets that long, to look for a sweeter deal elsewhere, and so forth, but the fact that when you stack camp fodder (Fitz) against the #3 overall pick (VY), and you end up with Fitz lasting this long means that he did something right along the line.

Don't get me wrong that him holding out last year was largely against his own best interests, but you certainly can't knock a guy of his stature for wanting to claw for every single opportunity at this stage. We're all capitalists here, right?

He certainly did, but then again, who would have thunk that a 7th round pick -- from 2005, no less -- could have stayed in the league this long? I have no idea about who was advising him to hold out from the Jets that long, to look for a sweeter deal elsewhere, and so forth, but the fact that when you stack camp fodder (Fitz) against the #3 overall pick (VY), and you end up with Fitz lasting this long means that he did something right along the line.

Don't get me wrong that him holding out last year was largely against his own best interests, but you certainly can't knock a guy of his stature for wanting to claw for every single opportunity at this stage. We're all capitalists here, right?

I don't know why he thought he'd have greater value than he received from the NYJ when the entire league knows who and what he is.

Guest NeckBeard

I don't know why he thought he'd have greater value than he received from the NYJ when the entire league knows who and what he is.

Because there are far worse QBs in this league, those guys who seem to have stuck around for an eternity. That's why.