Vince Young cut (update: and complaining)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NeckBeard

He's one of the worst as a starter. Good backup though.

I believe he is in the bottom 10, but closer to the top of the bottom 10, if you know what I mean. If memory serves, he had thought he was going to land in a great situation in Denver, but it didn't happen. Then nothing else really panned out, so he sighed and returned to the Jets. The fact that the Jets played him over Geno from the jump says a lot about both players.

I believe he is in the bottom 10, but closer to the top of the bottom 10, if you know what I mean. If memory serves, he had thought he was going to land in a great situation in Denver, but it didn't happen. Then nothing else really panned out, so he sighed and returned to the Jets. The fact that the Jets played him over Geno from the jump says a lot about both players.

I think he's among the worst (as a starter) on a level above maybe McCown/Osweiler and Matt Barkley.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Guest NeckBeard

I think he's among the worst (as a starter) on a level above maybe McCown/Osweiler and Matt Barkley.

That still puts him in the bottom 10 or thereabouts. Check pro football reference to confirm my thinking here.

The fact that Fitz has been around as long as he as both a testament to the lack of QB talent in the NFL, and an attaboy for the people who represent him.

In Fitz's defense, at the time we let him go, I remember guys saying the same things...he's never been more than a backup, he sucks, he shouldn't be starting, third stringer at best. And at that time I crunched some numbers (so this is pre-Titans, Houston, and Jets---maybe I should revisit those numbers) and Fitz basically came out every season around the 15-17 range of QBs in the league.

People way over exaggerate his suckitude. I'm not saying you want him as your starter for a long time because he does give games away when he has to press in the 4th quarter, he has a hard time throwing deep outs (arm strength), and no team should be satisfied with a mediocre starting QB. And you can talk all you want about the QB talent-level in the league being low (and I'll agree with you), but it doesn't change the fact that while he was with the Bills (and the one year in Cinci), he was an average starting QB, ranking ahead of a good 15 or so other starters in the league each season he started. So, give the guy his due...he most certainly deserved to be a starter in this league, if only for the fact that there were never 32 guys significantly better than him. You're not pinning your hopes on him, but he was better than a lot of what else was out there. That's why it has been tough on teams whether it be signing him or releasing him. You know he isn't going to take you to the promised land, but he was probably better than each team's other options.

Let's look at the quarterbacking situation of each team the year after they each dumped Fitz:

2013 Bills: EJ Manuel and Thad Lewis

2014 Titans: Charlie Whitehurst and Zach Mettenberger

2015 Texans: Brian Hoyer and Brandon Weeden

2017 Jets: Hackenberg and Petty????

I don't see any upgrades there.

Like I said, you could do a lot worse than Fitz, so please stop claiming that he wasn't worthy of being a starter all these years. Mediocre, middle-of-the-pack starter, yes...but a starter none the less (not a career back-up or third stringer), at least in this era of weak QB play.

Ok, have at me... :D

Edited by folz

In Fitz's defense, at the time we let him go, I remember guys saying the same things...he's never been more than a backup, he sucks, he shouldn't be starting, third stringer at best. And at that time I crunched some numbers (so this is pre-Titans, Houston, and Jets---maybe I should revisit those numbers) and Fitz basically came out every season around the 15-17 range of QBs in the league.

People way over exaggerate his suckitude. I'm not saying you want him as your starter for a long time because he does give games away when he has to press in the 4th quarter, he has a hard time throwing deep outs (arm strength), and no team should be satisfied with a mediocre starting QB. And you can talk all you want about the QB talent-level in the league being low (and I'll agree with you), but it doesn't change the fact that while he was with the Bills (and the one year in Cinci), he was an average starting QB, ranking ahead of a good 15 or so other starters in the league each season he started. So, give the guy his due...he most certainly deserved to be a starter in this league, if only for the fact that there were never 32 guys significantly better than him. You're not pinning your hopes on him, but he was better than a lot of what else was out there. That's why it has been tough on teams whether it be signing him or releasing him. You know he isn't going to take you to the promised land, but he was probably better than each team's other options.

Let's look at the quarterbacking situation of each team the year after they each dumped Fitz:

Like I said, you could do a lot worse than Fitz, so please stop claiming that he wasn't worthy of being a starter all these years. Mediocre, middle-of-the-pack starter, yes...but a starter none the less (not a career back-up or third stringer), at least in this era of weak QB play.

The point is when a team gets an up close look at Fitz they know firsthand they have to upgrade because they're on the road to nowhere with him. They may or may not succeed in an attempt to upgrade, but they are obligated to try. Fitz is a bum as a starter.

First, we have Colin Kaepernick, who is determined to sacrifice his NFL career in order to be a sideshow, and now Vince Young, obviously still immature and unable to even impress the Cleveland Browns, is yapping about who has a job and that he doesn't.

I am sure that ESPN and Bleacher Report will be inundating us with stories as to why Vince Young isn't getting more opportunities like Kaepernick... it's simple- don't piss off possible future employers, don't act like a jerk and actually care about your job.

Edited by BmoreBills

First, we have Colin Kaepernick, who is determined to sacrifice his NFL career in order to be a sideshow, and now Vince Young, obviously still immature and unable to even impress the Cleveland Browns, is yapping about who has a job and that he doesn't.

I am sure that ESPN and Bleacher Report will be inundating us with stories as to why Vince Young isn't getting more opportunities like Kaepernick... it's simple- don't piss off possible future employers, don't act like a jerk and actually care about your job.

What a lazy comparison. CK has been a million times more successful than VY. He is also coming off a year where he threw 16 tds to 4 INTs. VY never came close to a season like that.

Again, let's review. Silent protest = sideshow. Multiple alleged rapes (Big Ben) = fine.

*nods* I forget who said it, but one of the pundits tagged Fitz as "a QB multiple teams have decided to move on from, then failed to replace with anyone better".

That pretty much sums it up.

Not to pile on here, but VY was just cut by the CFL. How can he possible think that he is ready for the NFL over anybody?

I'll take a stab. If you think turkey necks are worthy of cooking and eating, you'd likely also think you're better than most QB's playing in the NFL. (???) :wacko:

What a lazy comparison. CK has been a million times more successful than VY. He is also coming off a year where he threw 16 tds to 4 INTs. VY never came close to a season like that.

Again, let's review. Silent protest = sideshow. Multiple alleged rapes (Big Ben) = fine.

If you want to point out inequity fine, good point. But, Kaepernick is 10x more of a sideshow that Big Ben.

.....NFL membership is a privilege and not a right...Steve Young (yup, HIM), said, "more collegians fail versus succeed at the NFL level because of the speed and complexity of the game"....Vince didn't have "IT" nor did Kaep (more worried about his tats 'n poses and was figured out quickly) as well as RG III (big "me" mouth and Daddy RG by his side)....damn well come to this level with "IT" and no baggage or side shows...BIG money is at stake here.....

Guest NeckBeard

.....NFL membership is a privilege and not a right...Steve Young (yup, HIM), said, "more collegians fail versus succeed at the NFL level because of the speed and complexity of the game"....Vince didn't have "IT" nor did Kaep (more worried about his tats 'n poses and was figured out quickly) as well as RG III (big "me" mouth and Daddy RG by his side)....damn well come to this level with "IT" and no baggage or side shows...BIG money is at stake here.....

I dunno, man. I would personally choose Kaep as a guy to develop over drafting new, unproven QB talent. Yeah, I get why people were chafed about Kaep doing his posing / protest / whatever you call it thing. Still, worse men have played in the NFL over the years, and we in Buffalo have nothing to say since O.J. was a guy that we used to cheer for.

Edited by NeckBeard

I dunno, man. I would personally choose Kaep as a guy to develop over drafting new, unproven QB talent. Yeah, I get why people were chafed about Kaep doing his posing / protest / whatever you call it thing. Still, worse men have played in the NFL over the years, and we in Buffalo have nothing to say since O.J. was a guy that we used to cheer for.

....could care less about his political stance.....reference to "poses" was long before that....he hit the big time too quick and I think the limelight was a major distraction from what he ws getting paid for....took DC's a year to figure him out and downward he went....just like RG II 3/4.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Guest NeckBeard

....could care less about his political stance.....reference to "poses" was long before that....he hit the big time too quick and I think the limelight was a major distraction from what he ws getting paid for....took DC's a year to figure him out and downward he went....just like RG II 3/4.....

This is where we disagree. RGIII developed a RGIII brand, got sucked into the vortex of suck in Synderland, got hurt, and basically played terrible after his second season. Sure, he had played hurt, and some would argue that it stunted his development. But he was also clearly unable to stay healthy, to play the position, and to do anything other than being a shadow of his former self.

Kaep didn't develop a Kaep brand. Is there Kaep-branded stuff somewhere? He didn't make waves until last year. He regressed, and I agree with anyone who's noted the same, played a bunch of lousy football, got benched in favor of Blaine freaking Gabbert of all people, and basically just didn't pan out. Of course, in SF, they fire a Type-A coach, who also happened to be pretty great, in Harbaugh, promoted a stiff as his replacement, then followed with a master stroke of hiring Mr Protein Shakes in Chip Kelly, and people wonder why Kaep scuffled along for the last few years.

To my earlier point, Ryan Leaf got three chances, and he was a total psychopath. He ended up serving time in a Montana prison later on.

Art Schlicter (sp?) got how many chances? Prison later in life.

Michael Vick, he who legitimately had (2? 3? How many?) good seasons went to LEAVENWORTH (that's a real prison and not a country club kind of deal) for a conviction on federal charges, then got a second chance in Philly, and later in Pittsburgh.

Those are just three examples of equal or lesser players who've done worse things, and who've gotten a second shot. I'm the last person in the world to cry racism or whatever when it comes to someone who doesn't get a second chance when they deserve it, but Kaep absolutely deserves another chance. If people like VY get 2, 3, whatever chances in the big show -- either here or over the border -- then Kaep is entitled to one as well. Somebody sign the guy (just not the Bills, because there's TT, and they really need to develop someone else).

Edited by NeckBeard