One big, dirty, stat.

#34fan

The best ways to help out a defense are running the football and scoring points. The offense did both of those things very well.

And not turning the ball over to the other team. Check that box, too.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16th against in points again, average again, right?

points are all that matters, right?

Points win/lose games not yards!

Ok if you want to play the yards game, dead last in pass yards for any QB starting at least 15 games. Atrocious.

You keep spouting that they were average in points against. Come on man. You watched them. You know they were bad. The defense was good in half the games and terrible in half. That doesn't make them average. In the half they were bad at they allowed 27, 28, 30, 31, 34, 37, 38, and 41 points. That's not just bad. That's really bad. The games they were good in they allowed 0, 12, 13, 13, 16, 18, 19, and 21. Most of that was really good. Putting the two together makes them look average but they were far from it for half the games.

On the flip side the offense had 11 games where they scored 24 points or more.

Edited by Scott7975

Actually, I said the other teams "put up more." That's the part we have to fix. Because we are already putting up enough on offense.

Curious: how bad does the defense have to be before you lay any responsibility at their feet? Do we even need to field a defense, or should our offense be able to put up more points no matter what?

Let me put it another way... If you're running a business, and that business is generating more revenue than most of your competitors but bleeding expenses faster than most, which area do you focus on to improve your bottom line? Seems pretty f'in obvious, eh?

Wow this is a great alternate way to view the situation. Makes a ton of sense to me!

Can you even read, or do you just kinda guess what people say and then mash your keyboard until you're tired? If you're going to quote me, make sure it doesn't say the exact words I claimed it did.

:lol: From a guy who's so simple he ended up agreeing with my original post!

-Does your mom even KNOW you're using her tablet?

Exactly.. "The good teams put up more".. You said it pal, I didn't..

The run wasn't enough against stiffer comp... We needed a stronger passing attack to be competitive in those situations.

This year, the D is a question mark, and I can't find six CUPCAKES anywhere on the schedule... TT, or somebody, is gonna have to throw... -Or else....

I look at it this way. The defense plays better we can win more games. We certainly squeak out wins over Miami twice last year with even just a slightly better defensive performance. OR. Tyrod plays better we can win more games. We would win games against Baltimore and Seattle last year if Tyrod made just a handful more plays in each.The good thing is that we have seen Tyrod play better. He played much better in 2015. So will his 2017 resemble more closely his 2015 season or his 2016 season? This is kind of the tiebreaking season for Tyrod. A prove it season for him.

Actually, I said the other teams "put up more." That's the part we have to fix. Because we are already putting up enough on offense.

Curious: how bad does the defense have to be before you lay any responsibility at their feet? Do we even need to field a defense, or should our offense be able to put up more points no matter what?

Let me put it another way... If you're running a business, and that business is generating more revenue than most of your competitors but bleeding expenses faster than most, which area do you focus on to improve your bottom line? Seems pretty f'in obvious, eh?

:lol:

Let's try a GROWNUP look at your scenario, shall we?

You're a guy running a business... a burger place for example... Burgers, fries, and dogs, (for the non-educated palates out there)

Of course, there's TONS of competition to win "Burger joint of the year", but you need to win at some point to stay relevant, gain fame, and boost the value of your business...

Sadly, you're never even a FINALIST!

It seems you have the BEST fries... Good hot dogs... And a small but loyal customer base... -So what keeps you out of the running???

TERRIBLE FRICKIN' BURGERS. -That's what keeps you out of the running.

It's a shame because you LOVE your chef... The customers you retain swear by him, -the wait staff even has his back... His fries and hot dogs can go up against ANYONE'S!

His burgers, however, taste like cardboard... You've asked him to change the recipe, but it's hard... He only knows one way to make 'em....

The perennial finalists have bigger, jucier, and more tasty burgers hands-down..... Their fries suck, and they're pricier, but they get away with it because they deliver a good feature product.

And... You have another problem...

You're bleeding expenses because you're building is in need of repair. -There are leaks, and inefficiencies that cost thousands a month.... You have to address it... So you do..

You fire the contractor you had working on it, and get someone else to put a finger in the dike... Problem addressed... For now...

Still, the competition kicks your azz every day.... They're packin' 'em in, and you're simply staying alive despite not bleeding cash anymore.

If you could only get that darn chef to change his recipe?

Or, do you need a new chef? :flirt:

Or, do you just concede that you'll always be a "dog's and fries" place, and NOT a well-balanced football team. :oops:-I meant "burger joint!"

Anyway, that's more like where we're at... And I'm hungry for some strange reason.

Edited by #34fan

:lol:

Let's try a GROWNUP look at your scenario, shall we?

You're a guy running a business... a burger place for example... Burgers, fries, and dogs, (for the non-educated palates out there)

Of course, there's TONS of competition to win "Burger joint of the year", but you need to win at some point to stay relevant, gain fame, and boost the value of your business...

Sadly, you're never even a FINALIST!

It seems you have the BEST fries... Good hot dogs... And a small but loyal customer base... -So what keeps you out of the running???

TERRIBLE FRICKIN' BURGERS. -That's what keeps you out of the running.

It's a shame because you LOVE your chef... The customers you retain swear by him, -the wait staff even has his back... His fries and hot dogs can go up against ANYONE'S!

His burgers, however, taste like cardboard... You've asked him to change the recipe, but it's hard... He only knows one way to make 'em....

The perennial finalists have bigger, jucier, and more tasty burgers hands-down..... Their fries suck, and they're pricier, but they get away with it because they deliver a good feature product.

And... You have another problem...

You're bleeding expenses because you're building is in need of repair. -There are leaks, and inefficiencies that cost thousands a month.... You have to address it... So you do..

You fire the contractor you had working on it, and get someone else to put a finger in the dike... Problem addressed... For now...

Still, the competition kicks your azz every day.... They're packin' 'em in, and you're simply staying alive despite not bleeding cash anymore.

If you could only get that darn chef to change his recipe?

Or, do you need a new chef? :flirt:

Or, do you just concede that you'll always be a "dog's and fries" place, and NOT a well-balanced football team. :oops:-I meant "burger joint!"

Anyway, that's more like where we're at... And I'm hungry for some strange reason.

I'll compare your terrible burgers to Buffalo's D,

and Rex Ryan burnt the hell out of good ground beef...

I'll compare your terrible burgers to Buffalo's D,

and Rex Ryan burnt the hell out of good ground beef...

Look, they were only really bad against the run (29th) 19th overall.... Our offense could have helped keep pace in some of the closer games we lost.... Rex definitely trashed something good... However, unless we get Jim Schwartz back, we're going to need to be better than dead last in passing attempts... D or no D, -the run may not get it done.

Edited by #34fan

Can we agree that we need to improve the passing game and the defense? Does it just have to be one or the other?

If we hold steady in other areas and improve our defense as a whole and improve the passing game we have a good shot at the playoffs.

That's why football is my favorite sport. It's the closest thing to fighting a war. There are so many areas that rely on each other to win. The General tries to improve all areas of weakness.

Look, they were only really bad against the run... 19th overall.... Our offense could have helped keep pace in some of the closer games we lost.... Rex definitely trashed something good... However, unless we get Jim Schwartz back, we're going to need to be better than dead lst in passing attempts... D or no D, -the run may not get it done.

I agree with you #34

Edited by Figster

You said :

Then you shamelessly agreed with me by saying:

But here's the crux:

Bills D was ranked 19th overall.... Miserable by Schwartz standards, but not exactly horrendous by NFL standards.. 6th against the pass (GOOD :thumbsup: ) but 29th against the run (BAD, VERY BAD! :thumbdown: )

ATL went to the Superbowl with the 25th ranked overall D... 17th against the run, 28th against the pass... They also weren't that much better than us in passing Attempts (27th)

-So where did they excel???

Despite being 27th in pass attempts, ATL was #2 in passing yards (Bills were 30th) and #2 in passing TD's (Bills were 27th) TRANSLATION: -Ryan didn't throw that much, but when he did, he SURE made it count!

ATL's rushing attack was then able to COMPLIMENT Ryan's cannon by being #5 in Rushing yards, and #3 in rushing TD's!

I DID NOT invent these numbers people... And they don't tell a story that I particularly like... Still, the facts are clear.... As good as our ground attack was, the sorry passing game held us back.... Accept it, and we can all move on..

Falcons were 2nd in YAC, Bills were 32nd. Our receivers were beyond awful last year, come away from Ryan's so called Canon because it's pure fiction. He has the likes of Jones, Gabriel and Coleman taking short passes and just going to the house. We have Walter Powell as our number one for alot of games, where is he right now?

I agree with you #34

:mellow: Hope it wasn't it the "burger" joint analogy. Er... Because I left some things out.

First off, that waitress that went on maternity leave? -Uhh.... Let's just say that kid is going to resemble you... ALOT.

Aaaaaaand your 20 year old son... -The one who lost his lacrosse scholarship at the 'Cuse for using "hatespeech"? -Sure that accusation was trumped-up, and it's summer so the kid needs a job, right? -Still, you MAY want to keep him away from the cash registers since he's been feeling a bit under-paid lately.

Uh.... That contractor you hired to replace the other one... Your wife knows him.... REALLY. REALLY. WELL..

*(sigh) it seems.... She knew BOTH of them really well...

Uh... Your employees just contacted a local union rep....

Uh... and you're five minutes from being served papers on a sexual harassment lawsuit. (Yep, from another waitress)

Bottom line: -Better burgers may not seem like they're helping you right away... But they will, eventually... I promise...

Falcons were 2nd in YAC, Bills were 32nd. Our receivers were beyond awful last year, come away from Ryan's so called Canon because it's pure fiction. He has the likes of Jones, Gabriel and Coleman taking short passes and just going to the house. We have Walter Powell as our number one for alot of games, where is he right now?

It's true... You can't ignore last year's WR situation.... Still, I'm not so sure I'd call them "beyond awful"... TT missed ALOT of open guys downfield.. That, coming from multiple sources, not just me....Whether he was afraid to throw, or didn't see the open man, the result is the same... We left alot of plays on the field....

Given 2016's WR situation, you have to question the wisdom of letting Vets like Decker and Maclin pass by...

Edited by #34fan

Scanning available stats, I found many areas where the Bills did well... Rushing stats were phenomenal... Believe it or not, Many of our stats ranged from good to middle of the pack

Except one.

Perhaps the one that kept us out of the playoff's for the seventeenth time in a row.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/pass-attempts-per-game

Yes, the D was miserable... But in order to be competitive this one stat MUST change... Note to our QB's -SPRAY IT, DON'T SAY IT!

Seems to me Dallas was pretty good, yet they finished only 30 on that list.

BTW, with your profile pic, are you a Nathan's Original hot dog fan? I am! I won a free Natham's picnic blanket in the Summer Rewards sweepstakes.

Scanning available stats, I found many areas where the Bills did well... Rushing stats were phenomenal... Believe it or not, Many of our stats ranged from good to middle of the pack

Except one.

Perhaps the one that kept us out of the playoff's for the seventeenth time in a row.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/pass-attempts-per-game

Yes, the D was miserable... But in order to be competitive this one stat MUST change... Note to our QB's -SPRAY IT, DON'T SAY IT!

Weird logic... so the key to fixing all of our woes is simply passing more?

Does it matter if we're significantly less efficient in the run game?

Or if we turn the ball over significantly more?

Or, for that matter, end up with a defense that gets worse rather than better?

You really believe it's possible that the fact that we didn't pass more was what kept us out of the playoffs... despite the fact that we averaged 1 less pass per game than the #1 seed in the NFC?

Alot of them went into Taylor Savings & Loan... Well, mostly SAVINGS... That's where Tightwad keeps all the wide open guys he didn't hit, and all the plays he left on the field because he was scared to throw.

Yah... guys were hurt... The WR corp. was weak.... Still, there were many opportunities TT let sail by...

This year's schedule offers little in the way of forgiveness for such mistakes.

Bottom line? -Ball's gotta fly in '17. or we CRY in '17... -AGAIN!

I was hoping when reading this OP that it'd be more about offensive philosophy, instead it's just a vastly generalized anTy thread... :doh:

Seems to me Dallas was pretty good, yet they finished only 30 on that list.

BTW, with your profile pic, are you a Nathan's Original hot dog fan? I am! I won a free Natham's picnic blanket in the Summer Rewards sweepstakes.

I LOVE Nathans' original hot dogs.... Just add sauerkraut, mustard, and leave me alone.... The Avatar is a shout-out to Nate Peterman, but Nathan's hot-dogs are the s#!t!!!

I LOVE Nathans' original hot dogs.... Just add sauerkraut, mustard, and leave me alone.... The Avatar is a shout-out to Nate Peterman, but Nathan's hot-dogs are the s#!t!!!

Haha! Onions and pickle relish for me!