Bills' 2017 Training Camp Discussion - Off Day on 7/31

I am not particular happy that Mike G. was let go and I would have tendered him higher but a couple of things

- In recent years the bills have found a back to man that 2nd spot......and now Jon Williams is getting pretty good reviews in this camp. I have been a fan of Williams and really thought when given his opportunity he was going to shine. His college tape jumps out at you and there are reports that he was not fully healed from that injury last year (I am starting to really wonder wtf our coaching staff from last year was doing....there is this trend of playing players that were not ready it seems.

- If finding rb's is a mark of a good organization....we seem to be doing that

I liked his college tape too. He was healthy and awful last year in a great run-offense though.

A mark of a good organization is being ahead of the curve on trends........the Bills rarely are.

The Pats tend to be the leader in that regard.

See how they addressed the depth at RB.......that tells me that they feel that defenses are becoming increasingly more vulnerable to the run and they want fresh legs to exploit it.

Bills have left themselves very thin at RB after the run game took their offense to levels they haven't seen since early in their SB run.

Reminds me a bit of when they felt they had to trade Travis Henry because how could they split carries between he and Willis McGahee?.......then a season later the league was going to RB by committee. :doh:

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are all the QBs throwing to the same WR or not?

Do all QBs throughout the league not have to deal with drops or injuries at the WR position?

So the only way for Tyrod to be accurately evaluated is if he has all star WR and everyone has garbage? Got it :thumbsup:

....ultimately, this is his "show me year" or he better call Mayflower......rehashing the past does nothing for me......clean slate, new era, new coaching/offense works for me.....I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and call 2017 his "audition year".....and in having two 1sts in 2018 says the QB positional outlook has pretty good potential.......when is the last time this club was positioned like this?...............

15 TD's in 1988 is hardly modest. And Joe Cribbs is one of the most underrated running backs ever. Cribbs was spectacular!

OJ, Terry Miller, Booker Moore, Joe Cribs, Greg Bell, Thurman Thomas, Antowain Smith, Travis, Wills, Marshawn, CJ.......man the list goes on!

What do they all have in common?

@MatthewFairburn

Buffalo Bills wrapped up day 4 of camp. Here are 15 takeaways. Zay Jones, Mike Tolbert, Mudge and more: http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/07/buffalo_bills_training_camp_day_4_zay_jones_mike_tolbert_stand_out_x_observation.html

@salmaiorana

Today from #Bills camp, my story in 3rd-string QB Nathan Peterman and his transition to the NFL, plus videos....

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/2017/07/30/bills-patient-rookie-qb-nathan-peterman-transitions-nfl/522933001/

I liked his college tape too. He was healthy and awful last year in a great run-offense though.

A mark of a good organization is being ahead of the curve on trends........the Bills rarely are.

The Pats tend to be the leader in that regard.

See how they addressed the depth at RB.......that tells me that they feel that defenses are becoming increasingly more vulnerable to the run and they want fresh legs to exploit it.

Bills have left themselves very thin at RB after the run game took their offense to levels they haven't seen since early in their SB run.

Reminds me a bit of when they felt they had to trade Travis Henry because how could they split carries between he and Willis McGahee?.......then a season later the league was going to RB by committee. :doh:

I try not to judge past front office's mistakes against current front offices......the Henry/McGahee/Lynch/Spiller decisions were aweful.....but in the past.

I really dont believe Jon Williams was 100 percent healthy last year.....by healthy I also mean having the mental confidence to go out and play your game at 100 percent....usually takes a full year with that injury.

We are gonna find out pretty soon.......Jon Williams (like Dawkins) strikes me as a player that gets better when the real hitting starts just by the way they play the game.

Makes me sick he is being handed a starting role right now. Literally there is ZERO reason why he should be running with the ones. The dude sucks, plain and simple. Slow, terrible route runner, and has stone hands. Only thing he has going for him is that he is tall.

Are you talking about Jones or Holmes?

@MatthewFairburn

Buffalo Bills wrapped up day 4 of camp. Here are 15 takeaways. Zay Jones, Mike Tolbert, Mudge and more: http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/07/buffalo_bills_training_camp_day_4_zay_jones_mike_tolbert_stand_out_x_observation.html

@salmaiorana

Today from #Bills camp, my story in 3rd-string QB Nathan Peterman and his transition to the NFL, plus videos....

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/2017/07/30/bills-patient-rookie-qb-nathan-peterman-transitions-nfl/522933001/

Logan Thomas mixes in with first team

Charles Clay had a maintenance day on Sunday, so quarterback-convert Logan Thomas got to mix in with the first-team offense at tight end. He made the most of it by catching one of the longest completions of the day from Tyrod Taylor down the middle of the field. Thomas getting a ton of reps given the Bills' lack of top-end talent at the position, and he's starting to make the most of it.

yesssss

Charles Clay had a maintenance day on Sunday, so quarterback-convert Logan Thomas got to mix in with the first-team offense at tight end. He made the most of it by catching one of the longest completions of the day from Tyrod Taylor down the middle of the field. Thomas getting a ton of reps given the Bills' lack of top-end talent at the position, and he's starting to make the most of it.

yesssss

Just 11 days until the 1st preseason game vs. MIN. I'd like to see him and others in game action before beginning any judgments.

yesssss

That's good to hear, there was some competition for his services when he announced he'd play TE.

Been VERY quiet on the Logan Thomas front since the regime change.

OJ, Terry Miller, Booker Moore, Joe Cribs, Greg Bell, Thurman Thomas, Antowain Smith, Travis, Wills, Marshawn, CJ.......man the list goes on!

What do they all have in common?

..quite a cadre of RB's....yet the QB spot has been THE most Achilles's heel since the Kelly era......with TE spot n 2nd place.....how can a club woefully suck on a perennial basis with TWO key positions on the field?....go figure.........

..quite a cadre of RB's....yet the QB spot has been THE most Achilles's heel since the Kelly era......with TE spot n 2nd place.....how can a club woefully suck on a perennial basis with TWO key positions on the field?....go figure.........

Investing as much as they have into RB's has taken a toll on their rosters.........especially since the drought began.......when the league was becoming more and more passer friendly.

If they get caught with their pants down at RB this year after letting MG walk and declining to address the position in a strong and deep RB draft.......that would be Billsy.

@JoeBuscaglia

Who stood out today? Quick observations with @Matt_Bove about today's #Bills practice on #The220. Full written observations later on today!

https://twitter.com/i/videos/tweet/891716856029081600

@thadbrown7

Tre'Davious White thinks his college to NFL transition will be easier than most. Sammy Watkins is helping. #Bills

http://www.rochesterfirst.com/sports/nfl/nfl-buffalo/white-molded-by-bills-vets-on-d-and-o/778695465

Investing as much as they have into RB's has taken a toll on their rosters.........especially since the drought began.......when the league was becoming more and more passer friendly.

If they get caught with their pants down at RB this year after letting MG walk and declining to address the position in a strong and deep RB draft.......that would be Billsy.

....here's to hopin' that "Billsy" SOMEDAY translates into "Ballsy" as in getting it right....stay tuned............

15 TD's in 1988 is hardly modest. And Joe Cribbs is one of the most underrated running backs ever. Cribbs was spectacular!

IIRC most of those TDs were scored on his patented "goal line leap" maneuver. He would highjump a pile of defenders on goal to go situations. It was his only skill.

@JoeBuscaglia

Who stood out today? Quick observations with @Matt_Bove about today's #Bills practice on #The220. Full written observations later on today!

https://twitter.com/i/videos/tweet/891716856029081600

@thadbrown7

Tre'Davious White thinks his college to NFL transition will be easier than most. Sammy Watkins is helping. #Bills

http://www.rochesterfirst.com/sports/nfl/nfl-buffalo/white-molded-by-bills-vets-on-d-and-o/778695465

Thanks for posting these. Good stuff! Edited by Maynard