QB Metrics and Advanced Analytics--Good info

Piggybacking on my last thread regarding Career draft data, I wanted to see how QB's since 1999 looked like based on AV/Game Played so I could have a normalized look at all players without regard to how long they have been in the league. However, when I ran it per game played, I quickly realized something was amiss...weighted AV punishes players who play longer based on the formula it uses. There is no way in any metric that Aaron Brooks should be rated ahead of Drew Brees and Tom Brady.

So I reversed the weighted AV back to Career AV, then divided it by the number of games played and multipled by 16 to give an average "seasonal" AV rating which came out much better, although there are a few things I didn't feel are right---namely Derek Carr being rated in the "Below Average" QB grouping(I assume this has to be an issue with the AV calculation on PFR)

QB's with ties to the Bills are highlighted in red. 7 QB's from the "Terrible" and "How Did He make it to the NFL??" List, 3 from the "Below Average List", and 2 from the "Average" List. And we wonder why we have sucked for so long...

Even more interesting is that it settles the debate of some posters who claim Flacco is such an elite QB in comparison to Tyrod. The analytics say this is not only a false statement and that they are essentially the same player in terms of per game value to their team(with Flacco having a slight edge), but that Flacco is clearly in the "Average" QB category and not the "Elite" or even "Very Good" category.

The "Elite QB's"(Over 17):

Aaron Rodgers 21.0

Tom Brady 19.4

(Peyton Manning) 19.2 <---Not originally included as he missed the cutoff by a year, but I went and re-ran it for him also

Daunte Culpepper 19.0

Drew Brees 17.9

Phillip Rivers 17.6

Russell Wilson 17.5

Cam Newton 17.3

Michael Vick 17.2(shocked to see him this far up)

The "Very Good QB's"(16.9-15.0):

Matt Ryan 16.9

Dak Prescott 16.0(based on one season of data)

Donovan McNabb 15.9

Andrew Luck 15.5

Carson Palmer 15.5

Robert Griffin III 15.3(still living off his rookie season)

David Garrard 15.3(shocked part II)

Ben Roethlisberger 15.1

The "Good QB's"(14.9-13.0):

Aaron Brooks 14.9

Chad Pennington 14.3

Matthew Stafford 14.3

Jay Cutler 14.0

Alex Smith 13.8

Eli Manning 13.4

Marc Bulger 13.3

Andy Dalton 13.2

Marcus Mariota 13.0

The "Average QB's"(12.9-11.0)

Joe Flacco 12.7

Colin Kaepernick 12.5

Tyrod Taylor 12.5

Byron Leftwich 12.3

Josh Freeman 12.3

Teddy Bridgewater 12.1

Ryan Fitzpatrick 12.1

Jameis Winston 12.0

Kirk Cousins 12.0

Ryan Tannehill 11.9

Matt Schaub 11.8

Jason Campbell 11.7

The "Below Average QB's"(10.9-9.0)

David Carr 10.9

Sam Bardford 10.8

Matt Cassell 10.6

Vince Young 10.6

Kyle Orton 10.6

Derek Carr 10.4(Huh????---The AV HAS to be wrong for him on Pro Football Reference...)

Josh McCown 10.3

Blake Bortles 10.2

Christian Ponder 10.2

Shaun King 10.2

Nick Foles 10.1

Carson Wentz 10.0

Trevor Siemian 9.6

Rex Grossman 9.5

Mike Glennon 9.2

Dennis Dixon 9.2

Mark Sanchez 9.2

Chad Henne 9.0

The "Terrible QB's"(8.9-7.0)

Tim Couch 8.9

Jake Locker 8.8

J.P Losman 8.8

Trent Edwards 8.6

John Beck 8.2

Matt Mauck 8.0

Tarvaris Jackson 8.0

Quincy Carter 7.9

Patrick Ramsey 7.6

Geno Smith 7.5

JT O'Sullivan 7.3

Matt Leinart 7.3

Brandon Weeden 7.2

Derek Anderson 7.2

Joey Harrington 7.1

Chris Redman 7.0

Chris Simms 7.0

The "How Did He Make It To The NFL?? QB's"(6.9-5.0)

Drew Stanton 6.8

Kevin Kolb 6.8

Colt McCoy 6.8

Tyler Thigpen 6.6

Sage Rosenfels 6.6

A.J. McCarron 6.3

EJ Manuel 6.3

Charlie Whitehurst 6.2

Tim Rattay 6.2

Chris Weinke 6.2

Dan Orlovsky 6.0

Jim Sorgi 6.0

Edited by matter2003

I don't think looking at this one measure you've created and calculated "clearly settles" anything whatsoever, much less whether or not Flacco is better than Tyrod. It ain't "the analytics" saying "that they are essentially the same player in terms of per game value to their team(with Flacco having a slight edge), but that Flacco is clearly in the "Average" QB category and not the "Elite" or even "Very Good" category." It's your one particular way of looking at this one particular stat.

I guess you can look at it as some added data.

Plus, I'm not sure where you see that Aaron Brooks is higher at weighted AV than Brees or Rodgers. Looks to me like what they say is that Brooks has a 65 weighted AV, 755th overall since 1960 while Rodgers has a 124, 26th overall and Brees has a 153 7th overall. Weighted AV has them in fairly reasonable places. Could it be your new stat that has them strangely?

IMHO it's a bit questionable whether AV, a stat meant to be good at making sweeping generalizations about large amounts of data, a large groups of seasons together for instance, should usefully be divided up in an attempt to pretend that it is like a knife and can make small differentiations. That's not how it was designed. He (Doug from PFR) himself points out that there's a good reason he included the "Approximate" in Approximate Value.

In any case, it looks to have been an interesting project. I am impressed by your energy and interest.

Edited by Thurman#1

What the hell is AV?

It's a metric that Pro Football Reference made up, it stands for Approximate Value. Here's some information on it:

"AV is not meant to be a be-all end-all metric. Football stat lines just do not come close to capturing all the contributions of a player the way they do in baseball and basketball. If one player is a 16 and another is a 14, we can't be very confident that the 16AV player actually had a better season than the 14AV player. But I am pretty confident that the collection of all players with 16AV played better, as an entire group, than the collection of all players with 14AV."

"Essentially, AV is a substitute for --- and a significant improvement upon, in my opinion --- metrics like 'number of seasons as a starter' or 'number of times making the pro bowl' or the like. You should think of it as being essentially like those two metrics, but with interpolation in between. That is, 'number of seasons as a starter' is a reasonable starting point if you're trying to measure, say, how good a particular draft class is, or what kind of player you can expect to get with the #13 pick in the draft. But obviously some starters are better than others. Starters on good teams are, as a group, better than starters on bad teams. Starting WRs who had lots of receiving yards are, as a group, better than starting WRs who did not have many receiving yards. Starters who made the pro bowl are, as a group, better than starters who didn't, and so on. And non-starters aren't worthless, so they get some points too."

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/index37a8.html

Average means you take the highs and lows and add them togethether and then divide by those amounts. If the highs occur in the playoffs and result in a SB win, who cares about 'AV'? This system, while overall does a decent job of ranking QB's, must also have an asterisk with SB winner. show the 'AV' of the quarterback during that SB season and playoffs.

I think this is nice but I also think this is what's degrading sports to some extent. Watch and enjoy. Sports are suppose to be entertainment. Now some treat it like a job. It's a nice hobby to do all this and not get paid .

I don't think looking at this one measure you've created and calculated "clearly settles" anything whatsoever, much less whether or not Flacco is better than Tyrod. It ain't "the analytics" saying "that they are essentially the same player in terms of per game value to their team(with Flacco having a slight edge), but that Flacco is clearly in the "Average" QB category and not the "Elite" or even "Very Good" category." It's your one particular way of looking at this one particular stat.

I guess you can look at it as some added data.

Plus, I'm not sure where you see that Aaron Brooks is higher at weighted AV than Brees or Rodgers. Looks to me like what they say is that Brooks has a 65 weighted AV, 755th overall since 1960 while Rodgers has a 124, 26th overall and Brees has a 153 7th overall. Weighted AV has them in fairly reasonable places. Could it be your new stat that has them strangely?

IMHO it's a bit questionable whether AV, a stat meant to be good at making sweeping generalizations about large amounts of data, a large groups of seasons together for instance, should usefully be divided up in an attempt to pretend that it is like a knife and can make small differentiations. That's not how it was designed. He (Doug from PFR) himself points out that there's a good reason he included the "Approximate" in Approximate Value.

In any case, it looks to have been an interesting project. I am impressed by your energy and interest.

Brooks was higher when you took his weighted AV/Games played....I wanted to compare players on a per game basis to even things out and compare apples to apples. Weighted AV penalizes players who play more seasons by reducing their AV, but does so uniformly making it a fair comparison for players who played equal lengths of time or looking at how much a player was worth over his entire career, but isn't good for looking at it on a per game basis because players who played fewer years will be favored since their weighted AV years aren't being reduced by 5% each year as many times as older players.

isn't Culpepper kind of high? He was pretty much done by 28

This is purely based on a "per game" basis. It shows how much value the QB provides/provided to his team on a per game basis and then normalizes it for a 16 game season. This allows me to comapre QB's who have played different amounts of years and different amounts of games to look at how much value they provide on per game played basis.

What happened to Peyton Manning?

This only goes back to 1999(the first year of combine data, which was the original scope of the project), I believe Manning was drafted in 1998

What!!! Jeff Tuel,didnt even make the list? He was the best ever! !

He wasn't drafted, lol

What happened to Peyton Manning?

Drafted in 1998, OP used players since 1999.

In regards to Carr it's clearly due to his rookie year. <60% Completion, <80 RAT, <5 ANY/A

Actually very similar in those stats to EJ's rookie year. (Also <60%, <80, <5, and a 5 AV)

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

Interesting stuff. Always appreciate the time and effort behind running numbers. However, I am a little skeptical of any stats showing Culpepper and Vick in the same elite category as Rodgers and Brady. Or David Garrard having a higher number than Ben Roethlisberger. One more oddity that stands out is David Carr being higher than Derek Carr. Where is Peyton Manning scored?

Interesting stuff. Always appreciate the time and effort behind running numbers. However, I am a little skeptical of any stats showing Culpepper and Vick in the same elite category as Rodgers and Brady. Or David Garrard having a higher number than Ben Roethlisberger. One more oddity that stands out is David Carr being higher than Derek Carr. Where is Peyton Manning scored?

See the above post...I went back and ran Mannking's numbers and he scored a 19.2

In regards to Roethlisberger, don't forget the first few years he was basically hand the ball off and throw when needed, so I'm sure that probably factored in as well...also he has posted some really bad road numbers throughout his career...most of his big games are at home...

It's a metric that you're not going to like because it doesn't put TT in a tier 1 category.

I actually went back and re-ran things using the multiplier GamesPlayed/16 instead of YearsPlayed to remove players who got unfair score increases by simply playing a bunch of years, and it corrected a lot of the "eye-check" issues, although not all of them..Derek Carr was still ranked in the same category(although this time ahead of his brother in the same category), and Vick, Culpepper and Garrard all dropped down a rung...Taylor also dropped down a rung as well and the gap between him and Flacco went from 12.7 to 12.5 to a 13.0 to 11.1...

I'll post the newer data when I get home, I know it's not perfect but it's very interesting and I need a way to be able to look at players and create appropriate "career" curves for them along with a bunch of other things like draft position to career curves, etc, so getting something that is useful, even if not perfect, is important.

Edited by matter2003

I actually went back and re-ran things using the multiplier GamesPlayed/16 instead of YearsPlayed to remove players who got unfair score increases by simply playing a bunch of years, and it corrected a lot of the "eye-check" issues, although not all of them..Derek Carr was still ranked in the same category(although this time ahead of his brother in the same category), and Vick, Culpepper and Garrard all dropped down a rung...Taylor also dropped down a rung as well and the gap between him and Flacco went from 12.7 to 12.5 to a 13.0 to 11.1...

I'll post the newer data when I get home, I know it's not perfect but it's very interesting and I need a way to be able to look at players and create appropriate "career" curves for them along with a bunch of other things like draft position to career curves, etc, so getting something that is useful, even if not perfect, is important.

I am actually a little curious how you're getting the numbers you're getting.

Aaron Rodgers, for instance, has a career AV of 150 and 142 games played per PFR. So 150/142*16=16.9. I also wonder if it'd effect anything if you used games started vs. games played and only used AVs from seasons with starts. For Rodgers that'd change the numbers to 149 AV, 135 Starts, and a score of 17.7. Score went up because his 0, 0, and 1 AV from his first 3 years with no starts are factored out.

There's no way one can measure what system a QB is in and what they are asked to do within that system. Are they asked to be caretakers of an offense as opposed to taking chances to make more plays for the team? This all matters and can make a guy who takes little risk appear better than a player who is asked to do more in the hopes of getting more production.

This is why many metrics for QB's just aren't very good when comparing players IMO.

There's no way one can measure what system a QB is in and what they are asked to do within that system. Are they asked to be caretakers of an offense as opposed to taking chances to make more plays for the team? This all matters and can make a guy who takes little risk appear better than a player who is asked to do more in the hopes of getting more production.

This is why many metrics for QB's just aren't very good when comparing players IMO.

To a point that is true, and by no means is it perfect. At the same time QBs that "aren't asked to do as much" is usually because they aren't good enough to be asked to do more.

To a point that is true, and by no means is it perfect. At the same time QBs that "aren't asked to do as much" is usually because they aren't good enough to be asked to do more.

And they don't have the starts to register. If you draw a line of "with at least 10 starts" you'd probably eliminate every bum (besides EJ). Edited by Kirby Jackson

And they don't have the starts to register. If you draw a line of "with at least 10 starts" you'd probably eliminate every bum (besides EJ).

It's pretty shocking to see the Bills QBs over this time period and just how bad they are in comparison...

It's pretty shocking to see the Bills QBs over this time period and just how bad they are in comparison...

We've had some guys that were awful. Trent, EJ, Losman were the young guys that we were supposed to ride. One was worse than the next. I'm not even sure how I'd rank them (Edwards is probably my least favorite Bills player ever). Even the backup types that we tried like Brohm, Cassel, Kolb, Nall, etc... were terrible.

is there any kind of analytical way to evaluate college QB's? or is it too difficult because the competition is so different from school to school? it's really amazing how teams like the Bills, Browns, Jets can be so wrong about so many QB's year after year

is there any kind of analytical way to evaluate college QB's? or is it too difficult because the competition is so different from school to school? it's really amazing how teams like the Bills, Browns, Jets can be so wrong about so many QB's year after year

It's pretty crazy for sure and probably is an organizational failure. At the same time the numbers say that about 1/2 or more of the top QBs in the league were drafted in the top 3 picks. The Bills and Jets haven't taken a swing there. The Browns haven't since Couch (I don't think). That is luck more than anything. If you get the 1st pick and Cam comes out you look like you know how to draft QBs.

We've had some guys that were awful. Trent, EJ, Losman were the young guys that we were supposed to ride. One was worse than the next. I'm not even sure how I'd rank them (Edwards is probably my least favorite Bills player ever). Even the backup types that we tried like Brohm, Cassel, Kolb, Nall, etc... were terrible.

My thought on Edwards is summed up perfectly in the game where we were down late in the 4th quarter and trying to drive in a close game(I think) and we were near midfield or slightly over and Edwards scrambled to the sideline on a 4th down and instead of heaving it up to see if we could make some type of play, he ran it out of bounds for a loss to save a potential INT...

I hated him ever since then and I think it was more egregious than Orton sliding on 4th down and a few against Denver because I don't think he would have made it anyway.

The highest correlation from what I've seen via metrics is by number of games started and completion percentage, but even that isn't perfect...it does however pretty accurately show bust potential...

QB's that have low completion percentages in college almost ALWAYS bust in the NFL no matter how good they are "supposed to be"...look at Hackenburg, for instance....that dude is never going to be anything close to a starting caliber QB in this league. His completion percentage in college was awful.

So it's more accurate for determining the bust potential of a highly ranked QB than it is for determining how good they will be, but it's got some correlation...

My thought on Edwards is summed up perfectly in the game where we were down late in the 4th quarter and trying to drive in a close game(I think) and we were near midfield or slightly over and Edwards scrambled to the sideline on a 4th down and instead of heaving it up to see if we could make some type of play, he ran it out of bounds for a loss to save a potential INT...

I hated him ever since then and I think it was more egregious than Orton sliding on 4th down and a few against Denver because I don't think he would have made it anyway.

The highest correlation from what I've seen via metrics is by number of games started and completion percentage, but even that isn't perfect...it does however pretty accurately show bust potential...

QB's that have low completion percentages in college almost ALWAYS bust in the NFL no matter how good they are "supposed to be"...look at Hackenburg, for instance....that dude is never going to be anything close to a starting caliber QB in this league. His completion percentage in college was awful.

So it's more accurate for determining the bust potential of a highly ranked QB than it is for determining how good they will be, but it's got some correlation...

i've seen people say those things plus the wonderlic score but using that to gauge potential would mean that EJ was supposed to be good. plus he had big hands and we know Whaley likes men with big hands

i've seen people say those things plus the wonderlic score but using that to gauge potential would mean that EJ was supposed to be good. plus he had big hands and we know Whaley likes men with big hands

Form the data I have and the charts on the Wonderlic, I don't see a correlation with that...Wonderlic scores trend slightly downward by round but nothing that really sticks out as something huge...I'll post the data for that also when I get home

Ha ha, I remember it well and that was the same point I was sure that I hated him. He didn't want to compete. Throwing the ball straight up in the air, underhanded would have been a better decision!

It's pretty crazy for sure and probably is an organizational failure. At the same time the numbers say that about 1/2 or more of the top QBs in the league were drafted in the top 3 picks. The Bills and Jets haven't taken a swing there. The Browns haven't since Couch (I don't think). That is luck more than anything. If you get the 1st pick and Cam comes out you look like you know how to draft QBs.

2 of the top 3(when you include Manning) and 4 of the "Elite QB's" by this list(I really think the one I will post later is more accurate as it removes Vick and Culpepper from the Elite list and replaces them with Matt Ryan) were not actually...

With Manning included(bringing the list to 9 QB's):

#1 Rodgers: Drafted in the late first

#2 Brady: Drafted in the 6th round

#5 Brees: Drafted in the 2nd round(although he normally would have been the last pick in the 1st if there was a 32nd pick in the 1st round)

#7 Wilson: Drafted in the 3rd round

4 of the 9 "Elite" QB's by this list were not drafted anywhere near top 3 and 2 were drafted relatively late(Wilson and Brady)

I'd expect Prescott to be added to this list if he continues to progress and not turn out to be another RG III(who drops significantly in the re-done list based on games played/16), which would make it 5/10 nowhere near the top of the draft...

2 of the top 3(when you include Manning) and 4 of the "Elite QB's" by this list(I really think the one I will post later is more accurate as it removes Vick and Culpepper from the Elite list and replaces them with Matt Ryan) were not actually...

With Manning included(bringing the list to 9 QB's):

#1 Rodgers: Drafted in the late first

#2 Brady: Drafted in the 6th round

#5 Brees: Drafted in the 2nd round(although he normally would have been the last pick in the 1st if there was a 32nd pick in the 1st round)

#7 Wilson: Drafted in the 3rd round

4 of the 9 "Elite" QB's by this list were not drafted anywhere near top 3 and 2 were drafted relatively late(Wilson and Brady)

I'd expect Prescott to be added to this list if he continues to progress and not turn out to be another RG III(who drops significantly in the re-done list based on games played/16), which would make it 5/10 nowhere near the top of the draft...

If you take the guys that are "good or better" 26 guys 13 of them were top 4 picks (Rivers was 4th) and another 6 were between 5-32. That's 19 of the 26 guys (if my counting is right). Edited by Kirby Jackson

If you take the guys that are "good or better" 26 guys 13 of them were top 4 picks (Rivers was 4th) and another 6 were between 5-32. That's 19 of the 26 guys (if my counting is right).

Oh, no doubt if you are looking to get a franchise QB, you want a guy in the first round...the metrics on QBs drafted after round 1 are mostly bad, just found it interesting half of the best of the best were misread by scouts and in some cases misread terribly(Brady)

Edited by matter2003

Oh, no doubt if you are looking to get a franchise QB, you want a guy in the first round...the metrics on QBs drafted after round 1 are mostly bad, just found it interesting half of the best of the best were misread by scouts and in some cases misread terribly(Brady)

Romo could have been there as well potentially. If you are banking on a franchise guy though we should stop thinking about Brady being a 6th rounder and start thinking of how we get to the top of the draft.

Romo could have been there as well potentially. If you are banking on a franchise guy though we should stop thinking about Brady being a 6th rounder and start thinking of how we get to the top of the draft.

yes, but I believe he was a UDFA, which wouldn't have shown up

Here is the revised way of doing the ratings using Games Played/16 instead of Years Played as the multiplier for Career AV.

It definitely passes the "eye test" better. Vick and Culpepper are out of the elite category and replaced by Ryan. Culpepper goes to Very Good, Vick to Good.

RGIII drops out of the Very good cateogory and drops to good, Flacco moves from average to good and widens the gap on Taylor, who loses 1.2 points of value.

Fitz drops to where he belongs in the Below Average category.

Bottom Line...Bills QB's for the most in here really suck.

Original Way---YearsPlayed as Multiplier New Way---GamesPlayed/16 as Multiplier

The "Elite QB's"(Over 17): The "Elite QB's"(Over 17):

Aaron Rodgers 21.0 Aaron Rodgers 19.5

Tom Brady 19.4 Peyton Manning 19.0

Peyton Manning 19.2 Tom Brady 18.7

Daunte Culpepper 19.0 Russell Wilson 18.2

Drew Brees 17.9 Cam Newton 17.9

Phillip Rivers 17.6 Drew Brees 17.6

Russell Wilson 17.5 Matt Ryan 17.4

Cam Newton 17.3 Phillip Rivers 17.2

Michael Vick 17.2(shocked)

The "Very Good QB's"(16.9-15.0): The "Very Good QB's"(16.9-15.0):

Matt Ryan: 16.9 Daunte Culpepper 16.7

Dak Prescott 16.0(1 year) Dak Prescott 16.0

Donovan McNabb 15.9 Andrew Luck 15.8

Andrew Luck 15.5 Donovan McNabb 15.1

Carson Palmer 15.5 Ben Roethlisberger 15.0

Robert Griffin III 15.3(still living off his rookie season)

David Garrard 15.3(shocked part II)

Ben Roethlisberger 15.1

The "Good QB's"(14.9-13.0): The "Good QB's"(14.9-13.0):

Aaron Brooks 14.9 Michael Vick 14.5

Chad Pennington 14.3 Carson Palmer 14.5

Matthew Stafford 14.3 Robert Griffin III 14.4

Jay Cutler 14.0 Matt Stafford 14.2

Alex Smith 13.8 Aaron Brooks 13.9

Eli Manning 13.4 David Garrard 13.8

Marc Bulger 13.3 Eli Manning 13.7

Andy Dalton 13.2 Andy Dalton 13.7

Marcus Mariota 13.0 Marcus Mariota 13.5

Jay Cutler 13.4

Joe Flacco 13.0

The "Average QB's"(12.9-11.0) The "Average QB's"(12.9-11.0)

Joe Flacco 12.7 Alex Smith 12.8

Colin Kaepernick 12.5 Teddy Bridgewater 12.6

Tyrod Taylor 12.5 Jameis Winston 12.6

Byron Leftwich 12.3 Ryan Tannehill 12.4

Josh Freeman 12.3 Colin Kaepernick 12.2

Teddy Bridgewater 12.1 Chad Pennington 12.1

Ryan Fitzpatrick 12.1 Marc Bulger 11.9

Jameis Winston 12.0 Kirk Cousins 11.4

Kirk Cousins 12.0 Tyrod Taylor 11.3

Ryan Tannehill 11.9 Josh Freeman 11.2

Matt Schaub 11.8

Jason Campbell 11.7

The "Below Average QB's"(10.9-9.0) The "Below Average QB's"(10.9-9.0)

David Carr 10.9 Ryan Fitzpatrick 10.9

Sam Bardford 10.8 Derek Carr 10.8

Matt Cassell 10.6 Matt Schaub 10.7

Vince Young 10.6 Blake Bortles 10.7

Kyle Orton 10.6 Jason Campbell 10.3

Derek Carr 10.4(Huh????) Sam Bradford 10.3

Josh McCown 10.3 Byron Leftwich 10.0

Blake Bortles 10.2 Vince Young 10.0

Christian Ponder 10.2 Carson Wentz 10.0

Shaun King 10.2 Christian Ponder 9.9

Nick Foles 10.1 Trevor Siemian 9.6

Carson Wentz 10.0 Nick Foles 9.5

Trevor Siemian 9.6 David Carr 9.3

Rex Grossman 9.5 Kyle Orton 9.2

Mike Glennon 9.2 Matt Cassell 9.0

Dennis Dixon 9.2

Mark Sanchez 9.2

Chad Henne 9.0

The "Terrible QB's"(8.9-7.0) The "Terrible QB's"(8.9-7.0)

Tim Couch 8.9 Shaun King 8.9

Jake Locker 8.8 Tim Couch 8.9

J.P Losman 8.8 Mike Glennon 8.5

Trent Edwards 8.6 Mark Sanchez 8.4

John Beck 8.2 Jake Locker 8.4

Matt Mauck 8.0 Dennis Dixon 7.7

Tarvaris Jackson 8.0 Chad Henne 7.7

Quincy Carter 7.9 Trent Edwards 7.7

Patrick Ramsey 7.6 Quincy Carter 7.7

Geno Smith 7.5 Matt Mauck 7.7

JT O'Sullivan 7.3 Greg McElroy 7.7

Matt Leinart 7.3 Rex Grossman 7.6

Brandon Weeden 7.2 Josh McCown 7.5

Derek Anderson 7.2 JP Losman 7.4

Joey Harrington 7.1 Geno Smith 7.1

Chris Redman 7.0 Joey Harrington 7.1

Chris Simms 7.0 Brandon Weeden 7.0

John Beck 7.0

"How Are Thet To The NFL?? QB's"(6.9-5.0) The "How Did He Make It To The NFL?? QB's"(6.9-5.0)

Drew Stanton 6.8 Tarvaris Jackson 6.5

Kevin Kolb 6.8 Patrick Ramsey 6.5

Colt McCoy 6.8 Matt Leinart 6.1

Tyler Thigpen 6.6 Kevin Kolb 6.0

Sage Rosenfels 6.6 Colt McCoy 6.0

A.J. McCarron 6.3 EJ Manuel 5.9

EJ Manuel 6.3 AJ McCarron 5.9

Charlie Whitehurst 6.2 Tyler Thigpen 5.7

Tim Rattay 6.2 Chris Simms 5.7

Chris Weinke 6.2 Derek Anderson 5.7

Dan Orlovsky 6.0 JT O'Sullivan 5.7

Jim Sorgi 6.0 Chris Weinke 5.2

Tim Rattay 5.2

Sage Rosenfels 5.1

Drew Stanton 5.1

Jim Sorgi 5.0

Fire The Scouts for Drafting Him(under 5.0)

Chris Redman 4.9

Charlie Whitehurst 4.4

Dan Orlovsky 4.3

I think the glaring anomalies found in your stats, OP, say that there's something logically wrong with your methodology. There's no way that Daunte Culpepper or Michael Vick belong in the same category as P Manning, Brady, and Rodgers, and Robert Griffin III, David Garrard, and Josh Freeman certainly belong significantly lower than your numbers say they are. None of them was as consistently good as QBs like Tannehill and Carr, both of whom have been good for longer than these duds who had about 1 good season each in their short starting careers.

I think part of the problem is that QBs with relatively few seasons as starters are being either more severely punished (like Carr and Tannehill) for being on poor teams or more generously rewarded (like Griffin and Freeman, both of whom had 1 good season each) for being on better teams.

Another problem, as Crusher pointed out and which is the real problem, is that your stats don't account for differences among teams. For example, the Miami Dolphins sucked at least until the last year or two of Tannehill's tenure with the team, including poor coaching and poor talent, especially on the OL and among receivers. In contrast, Andy Dalton has always had good coaching, a strong running game, a decent OL ... and AJ Green in Cinci. At the beginning of his career, Phillip Rivers had the luxury of playing on a team overflowing with talent but in recent years, as that talent dried up, Rivers' stats have declined. There's no other position on the football team as dependent on the talent surrounding him than the QB. Every QB needs protection and targets, but those aren't evenly distributed, not only among teams but also on a single team over the course of a long career such as with Rivers or Roethlisberger or Eli Manning.

When/If you figure out how to adequately factor in the length of QBs' careers and how to account for the differing quality of teams QBs play on, then you might be able to get a usable statistical measure without the anomalies.

Edited by SoTier