Nate Peterman - weak arm? I don't think so!

"Poor build, very skinny and narrow, lacks mobility and the ability to avoid the rush, lacks a really strong arm." Who is this?

Yeah, we get it. This comparison to Brady is becoming cliche around here.

It would be awesome if Peterman's career followed the same path.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really speaks more to your poor ability to judge a QB!! There's ZERO chance of that happening. Peterman is a smart, back-up type. His ceiling is probably below where Tyrod is right now. That doesn't mean he's useless but he will never be better than a game managing QB.

Well Tyrod by all accounts has reached his ceiling being he's going into his seventh NFL season and he regressed in most areas last season, so he's maxed out his abilities based off of a long history of QB's.

Tyrod gets by on his physical talents...his mental ability when it comes to the position seems to be his limitation.

History has also shown that smart, less physically talented players tend to be the ones that have more success over time, so saying Petermans ceiling is Tyrod is probably not true being that a smart QB that has a good feel for the position stands a better chance at being successful over the physically talented, but not QB smart player.

Well Tyrod by all accounts has reached his ceiling being he's going into his seventh NFL season and he regressed in most areas last season, so he's maxed out his abilities based off of a long history of QB's.

Tyrod gets by on his physical talents...his mental ability when it comes to the position seems to be his limitation.

History has also shown that smart, less physically talented players tend to be the ones that have more success over time, so saying Petermans ceiling is Tyrod is probably not true being that a smart QB that has a good feel for the position stands a better chance at being successful over the physically talented, but not QB smart player.

I don't know where to begin and really don't feel like responding but I will. Your dislike for Tyrod is inflating your perception of Peterman. Take the name Tyrod out and insert Tannehill (who Tyrod has outperformed the last 2 years). Do you think that if we were Miami Peterman would be competing with Tannehill for the job?

There isn't going to be a time where Peterman leads a top 10 scoring offense. He's not going to be top 8 in QBR. He's not going to be invited to Pro Bowls. He isn't a playmaker; he's a game manager.

That's not meant to be a knock. He's just limited. I'm not going to turn it over to Blokes on this but if people believe that Peterman is more than that, they aren't familiar with Peterman. He may end up the long-term backup and solid, like McCarron is in Cincinnati. That's not a bad thing. He just isn't a guy that is competing for a starting job here. Either Tyrod takes a step or they draft their guy next year.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Highly doubtful unless Tyrod gets injured.

Once the Bills are eliminated from playoff contention, I would absolutely expect them to put him in. Why wouldn't they?

Tyrod Tayor has no upside, he is what he is, and thy will want to find out what Peterman can do can do and take that information into the

2018 draft. They have positioned themselves well to potentially get a true QB.

He seems from the profile and analysis to be a lot of things Tyrod isn't.

http://www.billsdaily.com/draft/

5) QB Nathan Peterman, Pittsburgh 6-2 1/2, 226, 4.82 - Good enough size slightly weak arm strength which is a concern late in the season in Buffalo but has good deep ball accuracy. He's Smart and picks up systems quickly going through two the last two seasons at Pitt. Goes through progressions very quickly. Aggressive player who is a playmaker. He is pro ready and played in a pro-style offense. Throws with good timing and anticipation. Compact and quick delivery, needs more zip on his ball. Feels pressure well. Extends plays well with his feet and is a competent runner. He has been compared to Andy Dalton and Kirk Cousins by some scouts. Could be a long term backup QB option in the NFL.

Yeah, we get it. This comparison to Brady is becoming cliche around here.

It would be awesome if Peterman's career followed the same path.

Or it shows that your final say is not as absolute as you would like to believe. You hate those pesky facts don't you. It is possible that he could have a great career and your not qualified to say he will never...

Or it shows that your final say is not as absolute as you would like to believe. You hate those pesky facts don't you. It is possible that he could have a great career and your not qualified to say he will never...

haha...go read my post again, please. Let's see if you're big enough to own up to the mistake. Most posters aren't.

I don't know where to begin and really don't feel like responding but I will. Your dislike for Tyrod is inflating your perception of Peterman. Take the name Tyrod out and insert Tannehill (who Tyrod has outperformed the last 2 years). Do you think that if we were Miami Peterman would be competing with Tannehill for the job?

There isn't going to be a time where Peterman leads a top 10 scoring offense. He's not going to be top 8 in QBR. He's not going to be invited to Pro Bowls. He isn't a playmaker; he's a game manager.

That's not meant to be a knock. He's just limited. I'm not going to turn it over to Blokes on this but if people believe that Peterman is more than that, they aren't familiar with Peterman. He may end up the long-term backup and solid, like McCarron is in Cincinnati. That's not a bad thing. He just isn't a guy that is competing for a starting job here. Either Tyrod takes a step or they draft their guy next year.

I'm going to go out on a limb and disagree with you on both McCarron and Peterman.

with all due respect

It has nothing to do with how far you can throw the ball.

When they talk about arm strength they are typically talking about the zip on the ball when you have to throw a deep out from the other side of the field for example. You can't float the ball in there or put a bunch of air under it like you can on a longer throw, you have to throw it hard on a line to the spot to make sure the ball gets there before the defender can make a play on it.

That's arm strength in a nut shell.

Does he have to make a perfect read and throw it at the perfect time to get a completion on those throws, or can he maybe come off a read and see it at the last second and just gun it out there and still get the ball where it needs to be?

I thought they talked about arm strength WRT the 10-yard out?

Once the Bills are eliminated from playoff contention, I would absolutely expect them to put him in. Why wouldn't they?

Depends on whether he plays great and they miss the playoffs because of the defense. But even then, they could still give Peterman the last game of the season.

Too much is made about arm strength. We have seen guys get stronger arms after their technique is worked with and they get on an NFL strength program. Brady had a horrible arm in regards to strength, so did Montana etc. The guy will be fine in that regard.

I thought they talked about arm strength WRT the 10-yard out?

Depends on whether he plays great and they miss the playoffs because of the defense. But even then, they could still give Peterman the last game of the season.

Both correct, I think. The 10 yard out is just a more common indicator to be seen by scouts in the game film

It really speaks more to your poor ability to judge a QB!! There's ZERO chance of that happening. Peterman is a smart, back-up type. His ceiling is probably below where Tyrod is right now. That doesn't mean he's useless but he will never be better than a game managing QB.

I'm not expecting big things out of Peterman and generally agree he is a backup type qb (still love drafting a qb though). But how can you possibly say that with certainty? Tyrod was a 6th rounder who some had switching to defensive back.

Tannehill and Tyrod have been pretty much equal in terms of production IMO. You could argue there may be more room to grow for Tannehill since he had very little experience coming into the league, but either way I would think that Tannehill isn't guaranteed his job by his performance either. Maybe the contract keeps the team from truly giving him any competition, but I don't think he's shown to be the answer as well.

And I wasn't arguing that Tyrod is competing with Peterman...he most likely is not. This is not to say that Peterman doesn't show up and give the coaches reason to think he may be able to supplant Tyrod, because he very well may do just that.

Tyrod was a sixth rounder that has performed admirably with the chances he's had the last two seasons...Peterman could do better or worse. There are examples of both. To say there is ZERO chance he becomes better than Tyrod is unfounded at best.

I'm going to go out on a limb and disagree with you on both McCarron and Peterman.

with all due respect

We are all entitled to our opinions. Do you really believe that he is competing for the starting job??? I hope that he's great but just don't see it happening. I'm not as down on him as Blokes but he's not more than a number 2. It's Tyrod taking the step or 2018 first rounder (Rosen would be my guess at this point).

I'm not expecting big things out of Peterman and generally agree he is a backup type qb (still love drafting a qb though). But how can you possibly say that with certainty? Tyrod was a 6th rounder who some had switching to defensive back.

Nothing is certain, I guess you're right but the odds are very long IMO. I also think that he never gets the chance. TT is the QB of the near future and if he doesn't get it done they are drafting one in 2018. There isn't an opportunity for Peterman.

I think he'll end up having a career similar to Fitz. Good enough backup that he will get a chance to start somewhere. My opinion of course.

I think some people understand how good Fitz' career has been in terms of what most qbs achieve. Fitz isn't a HOFer but his career is better than 85% of qbs. It would be a huge win if Peterman has half of the career of Fitz.

It's ridiculous for sure.

There's alot of similarities between Peterman and Brady when they came out. In the right system, a smart QB that has a tremendous feel for the game and accuracy can go far. Not To say it will happen, but it COULD.

Saying there is ZERO chance that he could be better than a guy that's top 20 at best is poor logic to me.

my poor ability to judge a qb or is it your poor ability to understand what was said?

it is my lack of confidence in Tyrod to start all games next season. if he is benched who do you think will start?