Bills kicking tires on a 1 year deal for Fred Jackson...FWIW

Out of curiosity, did you think he was done when he was originally cut? I didn't, although, I did think he was about to play his last season. His last play as a Bill, albeit in preseason, was fantastic, and included an awesome stiff-arm against a worthy opponent, iirc.

....still prefer him to go out on top leaving TBD with memories of his time in Buff Blue versus attempting it at 36 and risking a serious injury.....not that he would, but he need not embarrass himself......

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they put Fred through a workout and he shows them something I wouldn't be against a 1 yr min Vet deal. Fred is a leader and would be a welcome presence in the locker room.

This.

I want him to retire a Bill no matter if he sees the field or not.

I am admittedly a Huge Homer Fan of his

Out of curiosity, did you think he was done when he was originally cut? I didn't, although, I did think he was about to play his last season. His last play as a Bill, albeit in preseason, was fantastic, and included an awesome stiff-arm against a worthy opponent, iirc.

He looked slower to my eye and couldn't stay healthy in 2015. It's now 2017 and at 36 years old it's simply time to move on.

Give him the one year deal. he's earned the opportunity to retire as a Bill.

yep

its just money

...a classic "Classy FredEx" story I may have posted before (not sure)................

Stevie Johnson was scheduled to appear at Van Bortel Ford in Roch-Cha-Cha to meet fans and sign autographs......and he was a "no-show"....some BS story about the limo, the dog at the Mapquest, whatever....so it's Fred Ex to the rescue......drives to Roch-Cha-Cha and right to the dealership......signed free autographs until every last fan in attendance got one.....he didn't care how long it took....he may not statistically qualify for the WOF, but he is one helluva rounded individual on and off the field....he never gave up his dream as a 2003 UDFA, Arena league and NFLE guy until finally landing in Buffalo in 2006....had he started out in the NFL in 2003, I'd bet his stats would certainly make him a WOF candidate......

I recall that day. and the story clearly.

He should retire a Bill

Bring him back. If he can earn the spot in came that is great. If not, they tried and he can retire as a Bill. Win-Win.

:beer:

and yes i am a sentimental Old Fool.

He looked slower to my eye and couldn't stay healthy in 2015. It's now 2017 and at 36 years old it's simply time to move on.

I really would not expect him to make the team. Be nice to have him around till cut downs though.

fred jackson is one of my all time favorites. the man has a serious fire. i know he is nearing the end, but...

what if freddy signs on for just one more year? what if he has enough left to give a few great effort runs, catches, and key blocks this year? what if the return of fred ex inspires some of our vets to give one last, great push? what if the passion for the game ignites a fire in the youngsters? what if his presence gives some of the emotionally unbalanced and dellusionally optimistic fans a little something extra to cheer for? what if...we win the whole...effing...thing?

Have we all forgotten what Marcus Allen did at age 37(almost 38). He ran for over 500 yards, 11tds and 4.1 avg. Now I'm not say Fred will put up these numbers but let's start this discussion by looking at what's after McCoy. An aging Tolbert and an unproven fumble prone Williams? It would be a brilliant move on McD's part to give Freddy a chance. He can't possibly do any worse than than guys like Tolbert, Banyard or Johnson. And his presence alone in the locker room would be worth the veteran minimum.

Many, including myself, have been saying give him a shot and only keep him if he beats out Williams.

Then others get upset that fans want to just give Jackson a spot on the team.

There's a disconnect: I don't think anyone wants to give him a free pass to making the team. But why not let him earn a spot?

Why would the new regime bring him back? He has no ties to the new coaching staff or the GM. Not gonna happen. Onward!

Hasn't even been contacted by the team with OTAs now done even as a contingency RB. Give up the teary eyed nostalgia.

Why would the new regime bring him back? He has no ties to the new coaching staff or the GM. Not gonna happen. Onward!

Hasn't even been contacted by the team with OTAs now done even as a contingency RB. Give up the teary eyed nostalgia.

....guess I'm not sure why that is so hard to understand........other than a 1 day contract to retire a Bill, it is a different era gone by....Jesus...............

....guess I'm not sure why that is so hard to understand........other than a 1 day contract to retire a Bill, it is a different era gone by....Jesus...............

This is what should happen with Fred Jackson.

@PFWeekly

#Falcons honoring Michael Vick & Roddy White, "2 of most iconic players to ever wear black & red,” June 12 in retirement presser & reception

DB5lY0YUMAICrcT.jpg

Many, including myself, have been saying give him a shot and only keep him if he beats out Williams.

Then others get upset that fans want to just give Jackson a spot on the team.

There's a disconnect: I don't think anyone wants to give him a free pass to making the team. But why not let him earn a spot?

I have to agree with you on this one...let him compete for a spot. If he earns it, the fans will be happy and he will feel vindicated. If he doesn't, offer him the opportunity to retire as a Bill.

@PFWeekly

#Falcons honoring Michael Vick & Roddy White, "2 of most iconic players to ever wear black & red, June 12 in retirement presser & reception

DB5lY0YUMAICrcT.jpg

To be fair to the Bills, they are both officially retired. Fredex hasn't signed his retirement papers to make it official.

@PFWeekly

#Falcons honoring Michael Vick & Roddy White, "2 of most iconic players to ever wear black & red,” June 12 in retirement presser & reception

DB5lY0YUMAICrcT.jpg

...envision a "Fred Ex Day" at The Hat unveiling his addition to the WOF....is there a bonafide list of qualifiers?..is it stats only?.....or does it embody the player on or off the field?...do we even know?....have fellow Coe College guy Marv pull the rope on the tarp.....empty seat or dry eye?...um right............

To be fair to the Bills, they are both officially retired. Fredex hasn't signed his retirement papers to make it official.

I realize that. Make the event happen once he's "officially" done. Maybe he realizes that if he sits out again this season after finding no takers in 2016. He's on no team's radar AFAIK.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz