Chiefs and Cap Mismanagement

I raised the issue of our "cap" in the Maclin thread. I was stating that if we sign him, we'd have very little cap room. And this is a team that's NOT expected to be a 0.500 team this year.

Chiefs have been a respected organization when it comes to talent management. Yet, they have issues. Despite being a playoff caliber team since Reid's arrival, they have been challenged to have room in cap for talent that could possibly take them over the top.

And this is the exact danger I point to with Maclin's signing. At the moment we have 12-13m in cap space. Just $1m ahead of the "perennially cap-challenged Chiefs" as per KC Star writer. Is it wise for a middling team like Bills to be cap challenged? We simply wont have any room to sign better players once we're ready to contend unless we "make room" by moving so many of the marginal talents that you fans on this board whose loss you love lamenting.

Personally, I'd love to see Maclin signed. That will make this Bills offense most talented since Kelly days. And then all you whiners will begin to see that there is a lot of talent on this team. And this team should have won more games last year if not for Bumbling Bros.

I digress. Read on about Chiefs' talent management.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sam-mellinger/article154673809.html

I raised the issue of our "cap" in the Maclin thread. I was stating that if we sign him, we'd have very little cap room. And this is a team that's NOT expected to be a 0.500 team this year.

Chiefs have been a respected organization when it comes to talent management. Yet, they have issues. Despite being a playoff caliber team since Reid's arrival, they have been challenged to have room in cap for talent that could possibly take them over the top.

And this is the exact danger I point to with Maclin's signing. At the moment we have 12-13m in cap space. Just $1m ahead of the "perennially cap-challenged Chiefs" as per KC Star writer. Is it wise for a middling team like Bills to be cap challenged? We simply wont have any room to sign better players once we're ready to contend unless we "make room" by moving so many of the marginal talents that you fans on this board whose loss you love lamenting.

Personally, I'd love to see Maclin signed. That will make this Bills offense most talented since Kelly days. And then all you whiners will begin to see that there is a lot of talent on this team. And this team should have won more games last year if not for Bumbling Bros.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sam-mellinger/article154673809.html

You have no idea if he'll sign or what the deal would look like so your pessimism is premature

I see your point and the others commenting maybe are not considering any money not spent this yr can be carried over next year.

Aside from that I think Maclin is a good value at the reported 4 mill deal talked about. Then when he leaves next year Bills are in line for comp pick. Just like Pats do it.

They'll have plenty of room next year (2018) even if they sign Maclin. This is a non-issue.

Bills have roughly $16 million this year, Maclin deal is allegedly a 1 year $4-5 million deal with some incentives likely...

Still have $11-12 million in cap space

What, exactly, does having $10-12 million in cap space in 2017, but no Maclin possibly get the Bills?

A team doesn't improve unless it adds talent where it's lacking. If they add it for a short term, then they'll have to either re-sign that player or find somebody to replace him. There's no law that says every FA has to be signed to a multi-year contract.

A one year deal for Maclin, as others have pointed out, doesn't impact next year's cap at all, and having Maclin as another target for Taylor may very well mean the difference between the Bills winning 8 games and winning 10. I'll take that even if it's not quite good enough to get the Bills in the playoffs, because the Bills haven't had a double digit win season for as long as they haven't made the playoffs. I'm sick of the Bills losing.

So worried about the money and I'm over here pounding on the table saying please get an experienced vet who has had success in the film room with this group. I preferred Boldin last year and this year hoping and praying his toughness of playing through injuries could rub off on Watkins a little lol.. but on a serious note. It's not like Maclin is gonna get a long term deal. And I'm sure he doesn't want one in Buffalo. If he signed here it would be a one year prove it kinda deal so he can get one last good contract next year. But stop worrying about the money.. the value of an experienced receiver who has had some success is priceless.