Should we develop an offense similar to the K-Gun?

It's May and here we are speculating about the upcoming season. Here's my take:

We should run a limited huddle offense, similar to the K-Gun. It should be more run oriented, allowing our offensive line the opportunity to smash the opposition, eventually wearing them down. My reasons:

1. We have limited depth on all of our skill positions. This means that we should be running with the same players all 3 downs. This type of offense will keep the opposition from changing defenses, nullifying their advantage in depth.
  2. With the advent of headset radios, plays can be called in from the sideline (except in NE), keeping the quarterback from having to make the calls along with everything he has to do.
  3. We can quickly sub in the 40 yards between the 30 yard marks, especially at the wideout position. This may prompt the opposition to try, which will either pull them out of position or draw a too many men foul.
  4. We have exceptional athletes that can handle the pace.
  5. We were terrible at using the clock the last 2 years. This would sharpen our skills when it came to crunch time in the 4th quarter.

The argument about putting pressure on the defense is there, although I say that the 3 and outs last year did the same.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so your advocating for an oregon ducks/chip kelly with the eagles type of offense, "the blur"

theres a reason the chip kelly thing failed in Philly

with our "limited depth" wouldn't just be tiring our own players out?

This is a big boys league, trickery and gimmick only gets you so far. You have to have a good offense and defense and special teams, and then you have a shot at consistent winning

so your advocating for an oregon ducks/chip kelly with the eagles type of offense, "the blur"

theres a reason the chip kelly thing failed in Philly

with our "limited depth" wouldn't just be tiring our own players out?

This is a big boys league, trickery and gimmick only gets you so far. You have to have a good offense and defense and special teams, and then you have a shot at consistent winning

Good points.

It would tire all players out.

I once played in an "old man's" (over 40) soccer tourney in the Catskills. It was 7 on 7 with no offsides penalties. I was on defense. All of us were tired, but the people who knew where they were going (offense) had a definite advantage. I'd imagine that this would hold true an just about any sport.

I'm not advocating trickery or gimmickry, just old fashioned football at an accelerated pace.

Don't have the bullets for thr K-gun type thing.Although Shady's and Tyrods running would be interesting. No established slot reciever either. But Personally I would be thrilled with a potent 2 minute offense though. Run with a sense of urgency, good clock management, all of it.

Use a K-Gun, hurry- up or whatever. Never understood Tyrods lack of urgency in a 2 minute drill. Maybe (well probably) it was coaching, but at times it was painful to watch.

The times, they are a changin' and for the better. From the top on down, the Bills will finally (hopefully) compete in the NFL for the first time in a long time. Clock management will be MUCH better.

based on what? does McD have a degree in game management that we don't know about? last i checked he was a rookie coach

The times, they are a changin' and for the better. From the top on down, the Bills will finally (hopefully) compete in the NFL for the first time in a long time. Clock management will be MUCH better.

Remains to be seen. If Andy Reid has been unable to handle it above a 7 year old...

only two points I disagree with :

1. With the advent of headset radios, plays can be called in from the sideline (except in NE), keeping the quarterback from having to make the calls along with everything he has to do.

the radio into the qbs helmet will still require communication to other players on field. Not all players have radios so tyrod would have to signal to others and that would cause other issues.

1. We can quickly sub in the 40 yards between the 30 yard marks, especially at the wideout position. This may prompt the opposition to try, which will either pull them out of position or draw a too many men foul.

Chip Kelly had to wait for NFL refs to prep ball. also if you change out guys officials should wait for defense to reset personnel based on rules.

I wouldn't mind a Flutie-style with Tyrod in the shotgun except on short yardage, rolling out to the sideline after the snap and trying to make something out of it with his unique set of skills.

I'd prefer a QB who dropped back into the pocket and could wait and lead his receivers into passes, but that's not going to happen.

Buffalo's O needs to put more of an emphasis on giving our QB better pass protection in my humble opinion.

No huddle is something you do with an O unit that has spent enough time together to gel at a regular pace before attempting to up the tempo.(IMO)

Tired players are also more vulnerable to injury IMO.

Edited by Figster

Just build an offense that fits each individuals strength. Playing to Tyrods strengths are most important this year. Which Denniodons style does, whichbis a big reason they kept him.

The running style will change but Dennison said he saw things that worked great for this offense so he will stick with a few things.

Just build an offense that fits each individuals strength. Playing to Tyrods strengths are most important this year. Which Denniodons style does, whichbis a big reason they kept him.

The running style will change but Dennison said he saw things that worked great for this offense so he will stick with a few things.

Yes sir

innovative coaching...

i want to see some tangible improvement as the season goes on.

useless timeouts because they didn't have anything remotely ready to call, then running garbage gimmick plays has to end

Not as the standard formation.

However I would like to see them implement something in the 2 minute or at end of games to speed up the tempo.

Not as the standard formation.

However I would like to see them implement something in the 2 minute or at end of games to speed up the tempo.

I'd settle this year for having 11 men on the field (either way) and having some thought towards getting to the line without letting 20 seconds pee away needlessly.