Chris Cornell of Soundgarden, dead at 52

Just Jack

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/temple-of-the-dog-an-oral-history-w442502

eerie top music headline at Rolling Stone. Cornell also played a late night gig at Detroit last night. I believe it ended around 1 am. There is recorded video of him playing his last song

my guess is carfentanil or fentanil

He was allegedly sober for years. The initial rumors are he was found in the bathroom with something tied around his neck

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He seemed to be a big family man at this stage in his life. I know I've seen constant references to his daughter in recent years on facebook. Whether that's actually him or just someone running his page, it was definitely a constant. They were right at the top of my list of favorite bands, so this one stings a bit, much more than so many of the other recent deaths. I'm glad I got the chance to see them when they initially got back together 5 or 6 years ago.

And while we're posting songs, I might as well include the best Bond theme song there is:

Between this, AIC, STP, and nirvana... all the nationally iconic grunge singers are dead except for Eddie vedder. Another sad day for that scene.

a representation of that genre or a coincidence?

This one is so different though since he made it to 52. Still very young, but it's a lifetime older than Kurt and Layne. Andy Wood's death fits in with those ones long before Cornell does.

Oh, but now I see that No Saint also included Scott Weiland in there. Now there's a guy who was a trainwreck for such a long time. I have no idea how he lasted so long.

That sucks. Sexual asphyxiation gone wrong?

Don't think so with his wife calling on a friend to go check on him. I'm guessing he had some sort of conversation with her earlier that scared her enough to send someone to check on him. Mental illness can be a terrible thing and he has battled depression and addiction in the past.

Edited by Mark80

This one is so different though since he made it to 52. Still very young, but it's a lifetime older than Kurt and Layne. Andy Wood's death fits in with those ones long before Cornell does.

Oh, but now I see that No Saint also included Scott Weiland in there. Now there's a guy who was a trainwreck for such a long time. I have no idea how he lasted so long.

I never much cared for Weiland...until velvet revolver.

I'd guess a mix? The scene was pretty drug heavy from and also collected a certain type of personality too. That it'd be heavy on death isn't altogether shocking but I think it's some degree of coincidence that nearly every iconic voice has met untimely end.

As someone noted - he seemed to really have things together lately (at least as an outsider looking in) but I'd also guess that a lot of the grunge guys have some demons bouncing around in their heads. Both personal predisposition and also from losing a lot of close friends so young. Who knows though....

Edited by NoSaint

I liked them for a while, but I don't feel that most of their music aged very well. I can still listen to just about anything from the other bands listed, but not STP.

52 is old as hell, man. It is not young. That's f'n ooooooold

I'd guess a mix? The scene was pretty drug heavy from and also collected a certain type of personality too. That it'd be heavy on death isn't altogether shocking but I think it's some degree of coincidence that nearly every iconic voice has met untimely end.

As someone noted - he seemed to really have things together lately (at least as an outsider looking in) but I'd also guess that a lot of the grunge guys have some demons bouncing around in their heads. Both personal predisposition and also from losing a lot of close friends so young. Who knows though....

compared to rockers of the 60's and 70's and even 80's its amazing how quickly 90's roxkers died

That sucks. Sexual asphyxiation gone wrong?

His wife sent someone to check on him because she was concerned. It sounds like he sent her a note or said some goodbyes on a call or something and essentially hung himself from early reports. We will see if accurate but it seems to be narrowing in on that story even if details may still be off.

Weiland was one of those guys that if you ever saw him on a night when he was firing on all cylinders you couldn't help but think he was magic. Just other worldly in person. Insanely talented, charismatic on another level.... on the bad nights it was a whole different story. I saw him a few times on those great evenings and they left a mark. He wasn't my favorite before those but afterwards he shot way up the list. His death was the least shocking but might've been the one that most hit me in the gut out of the rock and roll losses

Between this, AIC, STP, and nirvana... all the nationally iconic grunge singers are dead except for Eddie vedder. Another sad day for that scene.

Don't forget the vastly underrated Shannon Hoon too, though probably not quite grunge, but definitely of that era.