Chris Cornell of Soundgarden, dead at 52

Just Jack

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're kidding, right?

We will see what actually comes out from the toxicology report but yea she is saying that he self reported on the phone that he took a few extra when she asked why he was slurring and being strange and that's why she called his security.

His security is saying he gave a couple on the way back to the hotel too

Who knows how many or what else he may have taken but that's what the family is reporting and not a joke.

We will see what actually comes out from the toxicology report but yea she is saying that he self reported on the phone that he took a few extra when she asked why he was slurring and being strange and that's why she called his security.

His security is saying he gave a couple on the way back to the hotel too

Who knows how many or what else he may have taken but that's what the family is reporting and not a joke.

I'm sure he took Ativan, but it didn't lead him to hang himself.

You're kidding, right?

Nope.

Stupid way to go out.

I'm sure he took Ativan, but it didn't lead him to hang himself.

It would mess with his mind enough to bring suicide to the forefront. Its listed as a side effect of Ativan.

Suicide may not have been in his plans, but then the drugs, combined with whatever else he may have taken, messed with his mind.

Nope.

Stupid way to go out.

It would mess with his mind enough to bring suicide to the forefront. Its listed as a side effect of Ativan.

Suicide may not have been in his plans, but then the drugs, combined with whatever else he may have taken, messed with his mind.

I won't say whether or not it did -- but I'm curious why you are so certain that it had no impact?

I've never heard of acute Ativan overdose leading to suicide. I've seen depression listed as a side effect (although it's used to treat anxiety, which can be a symptom of depression), but Cornell has stated that he'd suffered from depression since he was as a kid, so blaming his long-term use for it doesn't wash. And for the wife to blame Ativan when the toxicology results aren't back yet and we don't know what, if anything, else he was on, seems convenient.

Do I smell a potential lawsuit coming?

Edited by Doc

I've never heard of acute Ativan overdose leading to suicide. I've seen depression listed as a side effect (although it's used to treat anxiety, which can be a symptom of depression), but Cornell has stated that he'd suffered from depression since he was as a kid, so blaming his long-term use for it doesn't wash. And for the wife to blame Ativan when the toxicology results aren't back yet and we don't know what, if anything, else he was on, seems convenient.

Do I smell a potential lawsuit coming?

I believe suicidal thoughts are a listed side effect for the drug.

It's possible on the lawsuit front.... but.... Reading her statements it feels like she is trying to rationalize that her husband who she loved and she thought was incredibly happy with his life with her took his own life.

If you were in what you thought to be a good spot with your spouse, and parent of your young children.... and then they commit suicide while on a drug with suicidal thoughts as a side effect I think you'd probably likewise jump to "it couldn't have been them, it must have been the drug" as the knee jerk reaction

I believe suicidal thoughts are a listed side effect for the drug.

It's possible on the lawsuit front.... but.... Reading her statements it feels like she is trying to rationalize that her husband who she loved and she thought was incredibly happy with his life with her took his own life.

If you were in what you thought to be a good spot with your spouse, and parent of your young children.... and then they commit suicide while on a drug with suicidal thoughts as a side effect I think you'd probably likewise jump to "it couldn't have been them, it must have been the drug" as the knee jerk reaction

I have not seen anywhere reputable that suicidal thoughts are a side effect of Ativan. And many people commit suicide with loved ones never having a clue they were going to do it. I agree it was a knee-jerk reaction because she has no idea what other drugs he may have been on, and again, he has a history of depression.

I have not seen anywhere reputable that suicidal thoughts are a side effect of Ativan. And many people commit suicide with loved ones never having a clue they were going to do it. I agree it was a knee-jerk reaction because she has no idea what other drugs he may have been on, and again, he has a history of depression.

On the side effects- im obviously no expert. Just deferring to the articles that have consistently said that it is the last day or two. I didn't go research.

On the rest... yea, she unexpectedly lost her spouse like 24 hours before the statement, very publicly and in a way that most people struggle with understanding. I'm fine cutting her some slack on the reaction probably not having the maximum amount of perspective, nuance, and complexity. my takeaway was simply that she wanted him remembered as a happy and good man. If you want to jump to lawsuit, you do you.

On the side effects- im obviously no expert. Just deferring to the articles that have consistently said that it is the last day or two. I didn't go research.

On the rest... yea, she unexpectedly lost her spouse like 24 hours before the statement, very publicly and in a way that most people struggle with understanding. I'm fine cutting her some slack on the reaction probably not having the maximum amount of perspective, nuance, and complexity. my takeaway was simply that she wanted him remembered as a happy and good man. If you want to jump to lawsuit, you do you.

Given the situation, I suppose I should cut her some slack. I'm just tired of people always looking to blame something else for their problems.

could it have been auto erotic asphyxitation? It got Michael Hutchence and David Caradine

I asked that earlier. This sounds like a suicide, which is what Hutchence's was as well.

Given the situation, I suppose I should cut her some slack. I'm just tired of people always looking to blame something else for their problems.

This wouldn't even qualify as that.

In the interview I read, she was describing the events leading to her phone call to the staff. Chris said he took extra Ativan. It was simply a step in that sequence.

Are you a sales rep for Ativan or something. You seem to be really hung up on this particular point.

So am I. Nobody ever could have committed suicide according to family members.

I asked that earlier. This sounds like a suicide, which is what Hutchence's was as well.

How do you know it was suicide and not auto erotic asphixiation?

This wouldn't even qualify as that.

In the interview I read, she was describing the events leading to her phone call to the staff. Chris said he took extra Ativan. It was simply a step in that sequence.

I did a search. She's blaming the Ativan.

Are you a sales rep for Ativan or something. You seem to be really hung up on this particular point.

Nope, not a rep. Check my screen name.

How do you know it was suicide and not auto erotic asphixiation?

The events preceding it and it being listed as the official cause of death. Carradine was AEA.

Edited by Doc