NFL.com - Beane Preaches Open Competition at QB

PIZ

Good snippet on his philosophy. Probably the same as most GMs:

"The draft is generally where you get a top-level quarterback," Beane said of finding quarterbacks. "... Generally speaking you're going to have to find your quarterback through the draft. Doesn't mean you can't find it somewhere else. Listen, we're going to look at every avenue to do that, but if you just look at history, I'd be lying if I didn't say you need to draft one."

The Bills snagged Peterman this season. Would Beane add a quarterback in the draft every year?

"You don't just draft them to draft them. You've got to believe in them," he said. "I'm not going to just stand up here with a blindfold and throw darts and hope I hit something. We're going to do our homework and our research every year until we find one...Until we feel like we are 100 percent at quarterback, we're going to be turning over every stone to find that position and hopefully find a franchise guy at some point."

As much as I like Tyrod, I can't envision him impressing us so much that they don't draft a guy in the first round next year. They'll have the ammo.

This is not happening with any orginzation that has stability at the position.

To me this is yet another indictment on how powers that be see Taylor.

Now granted, this might just be talk, and they have said, as of today Taylor would be their starter.

However, even on a smaller scale, do you think the Raiders are saying they will have an open comp at QB?

Others may have a similar situation, but with their first round QBs and a vet in front. Glennon/Trubisky, Simien/Lynch, Savage/Watson, etc...

The same can't be said for Tyrod's comp.

technically, shouldn't this be the case with every position?

we know certain spots are set in stone just because the likeliness of anyone coming in an unseating the starters is remote. i don't think tt is that set in stone, but at the same time, i'd be pretty surprised is someone came in and outplayed him. i suppose that would be a good thing.

I love his long term plan for finding a QB in the draft.

As far as an open competition this year... that was what I wanted when they kept TT. I was fine with bringing him back once it was evident they werent going to find better on the market and he took a pay cut. But I wanted him to have to compete for the starting job. Not just have it handed to him. I just don't think he's on that level at this point. And though he has exposure to it we've never seen him in this offensive scheme. Whoever executes that the best should start for this team. They are going to need to be able to throw the ball confidently and effectively. They absolutely need to find balance in the offense.

All of that said... are they really going to split reps evenly between the 4?? That doesn't seem like a great idea.

Edited by YoloinOhio

man tyrod must feel like things are washing out underneath him

last year we were all excited to see what progress he could make after his first pretty good first year starting. by the end of the season he seemed to demonstrate he had no more upside. didnt even get a sniff when the bills gave him permission to talk to other qb needy teams. agreed to cut his pay IN HALF to stay with the bills. and now the spanking new GM says his spot on the roster isnt even a given

holy dropping rock batman

There is no way Taylor is not our starting QB this season. Well, injury I guess. But that's it. Even if Peterman is clearly better (and that is quite the stretch for a 5th round QB), he should sit at least this year and learn from a pro how to be a pro. If nothing else,Taylor prepares, works hard, and is the consummate professional. I am totally ruling out Jones as a viable NFL QB at this point. And Yates? Seriously, Yates? No.

Give this year to Tyrod, see what you have in Peterman. If neither is the guy, go for one next year. If we got lucky on Peterman by some miracle, then use our 2 1st next year to acquire even more picks somehow and build an actual team.

Edited by Mark80

I love his long term plan for finding a QB in the draft.

As far as an open competition this year... that was what I wanted when they kept TT. I was fine with bringing him back once it was evident they werent going to find better on the market and he took a pay cut. But I wanted him to have to compete for the starting job. Not just have it handed to him. I just don't think he's on that level at this point. And though he has exposure to it we've never seen him in this offensive scheme. Whoever executes that the best should start for this team. They are going to need to be able to throw the ball.

All of that said... are they really going to split reps evenly between the 4?? That doesn't seem like a great idea.

i just dont thing its realistic at all to say it will be an open competition at qb

i mean c'mon, there isnt a chance in hell any of these guys are going to outplay him this early in their development. tj hooker is a vet but he simply doesnt have the capability to play at ty's level. do they really intend to pay him 15 mil to split reps with a bunch of greenies and a scrub?

so it seems counter-productive to me to say its an open competition. nobody is going to believe that so it strains their credibility. even if they did try to have an open competition they are wasting valuable reps in a new offense when its virtually guaranteed that tyrod would win the opening round

in the very short term it sounds good to say 'everybody earns their spot'. but once the reality sets in they better shift gears fast to allow ty to get ready for the season. unless they actually plan to tank the season they cant waste those reps for very long

not like he is the prolific incumbent....this is NOT a well rounded offense...there is NO passing game as a dimension that can beat the opposition.....it's "run or done" or pray his wheels are the bailout period........he has yet to show he can process/scan the entire field to find open receivers, be it WR or TE.....a four year understudy and two years as a starter certainly gives you plenty of time to digest the speed and complexity of the game at the NFL level......and he's NOT there yet IMO..........

On Tyrod, my lingering question is this though...if our coaching staff was so terrible and unprepared, how many of his shortcomings are his fault? Or was our offensive coaching seen as competent? What is Rivers going to do if he is playing in that offense? Also, we have to provide some credit for the complete lack of talent at the WR position. When he had his full array of healthy weapons, I felt like he was a much better QB.

Edited by Mark80

There are no surprises here. Neither Beane nor McD have a background with TT. Why would they say he's the established Day One starter? Shouldn't there be open competition at every position every year? If one of the other QBs clearly outplayed TT in preseason, why wouldn't he be named the starter instead. Every season, every team will put their best 22 on the field. If TT is not one of the 22, he'll be on the sidelines.

Obviously, right now TT looks to be the starter this season. McD acknowledged as much. But things can change, as McD has also acknowledged.

Nothing Beane or McD has said has either encouraged me or discouraged me regarding the QB position. They've said only the things they kind of have to say.

That's the right response from a GM of a team with a QB that has been serviceable and hovered around mediocrity for the last two years. However I think it's a near guarantee that Taylor starts week 1 and probably all season, because at this time he's the best option.

There are no surprises here. Neither Beane nor McD have a background with TT. Why would they say he's the established Day One starter? Shouldn't there be open competition at every position every year? If one of the other QBs clearly outplayed TT in preseason, why wouldn't he be named the starter instead. Every season, every team will put their best 22 on the field. If TT is not one of the 22, he'll be on the sidelines.

Obviously, right now TT looks to be the starter this season. McD acknowledged as much. But things can change, as McD has also acknowledged.

Nothing Beane or McD has said has either encouraged me or discouraged me regarding the QB position. They've said only the things they kind of have to say.

I'd say that's about right. The fact that no one (except maybe Dennison, loosely) has any allegiance or ties to TT makes me feel it will be more open than say if Rex was still here, or when it was EJ and Whaley. But they both know that for better or for worse, he's probably the one most likely to be able to win games this year. Edited by YoloinOhio

On Tyrod, my lingering question is this though...if our coaching staff was so terrible and unprepared, how many of his shortcomings are his fault? Or was our offensive coaching seen as competent? What is Rivers going to do if he is playing in that offense? Also, we have to provide some credit for the complete lack of talent at the WR position. When he had his full array of healthy weapons, I felt like he was a much better QB.

....do your evaluation from this perspective.....Steve Young (yup THAT guy) said, "more collegiate QB's fail at this level versus succeed because of the speed and complexity of the game at this level"....sure TT was a sideline understudy for 4 years and has 2 years under his belt as THE starter......so first question is how long do you give him at this level to in fact become acclimated to the speed and complexity?....second question would be has he made significant progress in that arena as a 2 year starter in Buffalo, where he has progressed into finding open receivers (WR's and TE's) on a regular and consistent basis to your satisfaction?..this post has ZERO to do with sarcasm or baiting......just curious as to your assessment as well as anybody else period............thanks..........

The Bills snagged Peterman this season. Would Beane add a quarterback in the draft every year?

"You don't just draft them to draft them. You've got to believe in them," he said. "I'm not going to just stand up here with a blindfold and throw darts and hope I hit something.

What does this guy know?

man tyrod must feel like things are washing out underneath him

last year we were all excited to see what progress he could make after his first pretty good first year starting. by the end of the season he seemed to demonstrate he had no more upside. didnt even get a sniff when the bills gave him permission to talk to other qb needy teams. agreed to cut his pay IN HALF to stay with the bills. and now the spanking new GM says his spot on the roster isnt even a given

holy dropping rock batman

Right after McD overruled the previous GM who wanted to drop Taylor?