Carucci says the housecleaning isn't finished

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Until Russ Brandon is gone I see the same old Bills.

This^^

Brandon is the head of the snake, but he's too good of a marketer to be cut off.

Let's not get confused here..

Brandon selling the Bills to western NY is as easy as selling water to the thirsty.

He is no magician my friend....

Our support of our team is legendary. Giving that credit to Russ Brandon is like crediting the rooster for the sunrise..

Edited by George C

This^^

Let's not get confused here..

Brandon selling the Bills to western NY is as easy as selling water to the thirsty.

He is no magician my friend....

Our support of our team is legendary. Giving that credit to Russ Brandon is like crediting the rooster for the sunrise..

Exactly. The fact the Bills revenue sets new records under Brandon is a complete coincidence. In fact the entire marketing department could be replaced with a walk-up window where corporations can just drop their money off. Why is that not obvious?

I'm still not to sure why there is still so much hate for Brandon when the Bills are still a marketable team despite 17 years of misery.

See the two posts above yours.

We as bills fans and a community support our team becaus we are die hards, not because Brandon is a marketing wizard.

What did he do? Sold some games to Toronto to build fan base (largely seen as a fail). Branched out to Rochester to extend fan base. Cool bro, I don't think he's a wizard. I also have no problem with him being kept on business side of Pegula sports a season long as he doesn't make any operational calls

See the two posts above yours.

We as bills fans and a community support our team becaus we are die hards, not because Brandon is a marketing wizard.

What did he do? Sold some games to Toronto to build fan base (largely seen as a fail). Branched out to Rochester to extend fan base. Cool bro, I don't think he's a wizard. I also have no problem with him being kept on business side of Pegula sports a season long as he doesn't make any operational calls

There are a few mysteries in life for which I will never understand the answer:

1. How can my wife and daughters go shopping then come home and tell me how much money they saved me.

2. How they get those little ships inside the bottles

3. How people can continue to mischaracterize what Brandon's job is.

To go over it again, he is President/Managing Partner of PSE, and President of the four professional teams under the PSE umbrella. He is not just a marketing guy, in fact the Exec VP of Marketing for the Bills/Sabres is Brett Rossi.

Brandon's job was different years ago. But then is not now. Now he is involved in things like bringing big event to the city like the Frozen Four, working with the county on a potential new stadium, making sure he gives guidance to the management team that does more of the day to day operations of each team. Overseeing those involved in the business and marketing of the franchises and of PSE. In other words, he's a chief executive that does what chief executives need to be doing. He is not just a marketing guy, and if you honestly believe the only thing he's done is branch out to Toronto and/or Rochester then you either just don't understand the role of a chief executive, or don't want to know.

Ask yourself this: if he was fired tomorrow are there many people that are committed to the long term success of WNY, with the experience and ties within the leagues, and with the exectutive experience to step into his shoes? Are there many folks out there that check those boxes? Probably not. Now, if he ever falls down on the job Terry and Kim would need to find someone. But the fact is they don't need to because he's good at what he does. Which is a lot more than people are willing to admit.

finally, I agree with everyone that says he needs to stay out of day to day operations of the teams (day to day meaning player decisions, contract decisions, etc). Everyone has said from ownership down that is the case. So either they're all lying or some folks need to accept things.

I'm not a Brandon fan or apologist, and to me he has the aura of a used car salesman.

Having said that, wasn't Brandon the one responsible for negotiating the poison pill provisions into the last lease agreement that made it prohibitive to move the team out of Buffalo?

I'm not a Brandon fan or apologist, and to me he has the aura of a used car salesman.

Having said that, wasn't Brandon the one responsible for negotiating the poison pill provisions into the last lease agreement that made it prohibitive to move the team out of Buffalo?

Stop bringing facts into a witch hunt.

That was likely Littman and Wilson who allowed that moreso than Brandon sliding it in there under his bosses' noses, devaluing the team for a multi-year window.

And if Mr Wilson had lived a few more years, the terms of that NRA could have been a disaster for Buffalo's hold on an NFL team.

Edited by May Day 10

That was likely Littman and Wilson who allowed that moreso than Brandon sliding it in there under his bosses' noses, devaluing the team for a multi-year window.

And if Mr Wilson had lived a few more years, the terms of that NRA could have been a disaster for Buffalo's hold on an NFL team.

Prove it. Brandon was the lead negotiator with the county so you need evidence that says it wasn't his call. Also explain how the NRA becomes a disaster for Buffalo keeping the Bills? The Bills franchise had vultures circling it with the blessing of the NFL's wealthy owners. Only the Pegulas crazy bid saved them. Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional.

1. How can my wife and daughters go shopping then come home and tell me how much money they saved me.

To go over it again, he is President/Managing Partner of PSE, and President of the four professional teams under the PSE umbrella. He is not just a marketing guy, in fact the Exec VP of Marketing for the Bills/Sabres is Brett Rossi.

Brandon's job was different years ago. But then is not now. Now he is involved in things like bringing big event to the city like the Frozen Four, working with the county on a potential new stadium, making sure he gives guidance to the management team that does more of the day to day operations of each team. Overseeing those involved in the business and marketing of the franchises and of PSE. In other words, he's a chief executive that does what chief executives need to be doing. He is not just a marketing guy, and if you honestly believe the only thing he's done is branch out to Toronto and/or Rochester then you either just don't understand the role of a chief executive, or don't want to know.

Ask yourself this: if he was fired tomorrow are there many people that are committed to the long term success of WNY, with the experience and ties within the leagues, and with the exectutive experience to step into his shoes? Are there many folks out there that check those boxes? Probably not. Now, if he ever falls down on the job Terry and Kim would need to find someone. But the fact is they don't need to because he's good at what he does. Which is a lot more than people are willing to admit.

finally, I agree with everyone that says he needs to stay out of day to day operations of the teams (day to day meaning player decisions, contract decisions, etc). Everyone has said from ownership down that is the case. So either they're all lying or some folks need to accept things.

Clarity of mind coupled with actual facts.

Edgy.

It could work.

Nice post Pops

Stop bringing facts into a witch hunt.

It is an exhaustive Witch hunt , Tiresome at times.

Any one think Beane and McD have not addressed organizational structure back at their respective interviews (pl ) ?

even the coon dawgs said f this. I aint chasing the shadows past any longer

Edited by 3rdand12

Guest NeckBeard

I like this a lot. It's the missing piece to the Brandon puzzle, me thinks. Heck, I have had many people over the past few years show me pictures of Brandon in the Bills' draft room, the same pictures with a smiling face of Marrone in the background, trying to tell me that this picture validated how Russ Brandon was running the organization for real, and that I was blind for not having seen it sooner. So does that mean Marrone was not as dour as he was made out to be? He seemed really happy to have a place at the adult's table back then.

I do enjoy the imagery of Russ Brandon scaring the bejeezus out of a woodman, a cowardly lion, a straw man, and a girl from Kansas, from behind a velvet curtain, tho.

Edited by NeckBeard

Prove it. Brandon was the lead negotiator with the county so you need evidence that says it wasn't his call. Also explain how the NRA becomes a disaster for Buffalo keeping the Bills? The Bills franchise had vultures circling it with the blessing of the NFL's wealthy owners. Only the Pegulas crazy bid saved them. Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional.

Why would the bills negotiate for a major nra penalty? That position is pro county/state and anti bills.

Also, if mr wilson passed away closer to the opt out window... there probably would have been serious out of town bidders. And the evidence is that ralph wilson owned the team and littman was his chief financial guy. I am sure they had a pretty strong footing in the process and had the ultimate authority.

Edited by May Day 10

Why would the bills negotiate for a major nra penalty? That position is pro county/state and anti bills.

Also, if mr wilson passed away closer to the opt out window... there probably would have been serious out of town bidders. And the evidence is that ralph wilson owned the team and littman was his chief financial guy. I am sure they had a pretty strong footing in the process and had the ultimate authority.

Wow, that's your "proof?" Conjecture?

First of all, go back and read the Buffalo News. They pretty much laid out the story. Brandon was the lead negotiator. And the reason the NRA was put in by the Bills was to delay any outside bidder from moving the team. Ergo, making the team less attractive to anyone wanting to move the team.

If you recall, Jon Bon Jovi had to change his tune about moving the Bills to Toronto. If they had won the team they would have been forced to keep the Bills in place until 2019. They knew it.

You act like this was something bad. Are you so bent out of shape over Brandon that you are willing to spin something this critical to the negative?

Its not conjecture, its common sense

Why would the bills purposely take a position to directly devalue their asset? In that case, maybe polancarz and nys would have been more than happy to sign a 1,000 year lease with a trillion dollar buyout. Negotiations go: the bills want as much public money as possible to improve their earning potential, and the county wants to lesson the blow, have the team kick in, and obtain as lengthy a binding nra as possible. The bills negotiating up to a 400 million dollar buyout is like you going into a car dealership and talking them up from $22,000 to $28,000.

This round, the county and state was in a much better negotiating position than the past. No way ralph wilson wanted to put up the money for a relocation/facility at such an advanced age. He also couldnt really sell, as he desired to own them to the wire, and selling would mean his family would essentially be double-taxed.

Also, they didnt know when mr wilson would pass away. The way it went down was the most prime in terms of the nra timeline. They werent even done with the renovations they signed for.

Its not conjecture, its common sense

Why would the bills purposely take a position to directly devalue their asset? In that case, maybe polancarz and nys would have been more than happy to sign a 1,000 year lease with a trillion dollar buyout. Negotiations go: the bills want as much public money as possible to improve their earning potential, and the county wants to lesson the blow, have the team kick in, and obtain as lengthy a binding nra as possible. The bills negotiating up to a 400 million dollar buyout is like you going into a car dealership and talking them up from $22,000 to $28,000.

This round, the county and state was in a much better negotiating position than the past. No way ralph wilson wanted to put up the money for a relocation/facility at such an advanced age. He also couldnt really sell, as he desired to own them to the wire, and selling would mean his family would essentially be double-taxed.

Also, they didnt know when mr wilson would pass away. The way it went down was the most prime in terms of the nra timeline. They werent even done with the renovations they signed for.

They did it to TRY AND KEEP THE BILLS IN BUFFALO. They couldn't fully ban the team from moving, so they did this.

Google the Buffalo News back during the negotiation. It's all there. It's not a mystery.