Cardinals Sign Gabbert

H2o

He was hurt in training camp and completely outplayed Gabbert when he took over the job.

How many qbs with a 4:1 td to int ratio struggle to get backup jobs? Matt Cassel was maybe the worst qb in the world 2 years ago.

Who cares? He sucks. He's a worse version of Taylor, who also has a great ratio. Watch the games.

Why is he the only target of this protest blackballing? Didn't a good chunk of the league join him? Why haven't they all lost their jobs to wife beaters?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

lol ok, Sparky. 4:1 TD:INT ratio on a crappy team. Has been a starter for a Super Bowl team. Apparently you don't realize how crappy the vast majority of NFL quarterbacks are.

Sparky? way to win a debate. That game was 5 Super Bowls ago. Since then he has had 62 TD's and 27 INT's. So your 4:1 ratio is ridiculous if you are looking at more than just one year, he is much closer to 2:1 now. He may have once been a decent NFL starter but now he is a marginal backup at best.

Edited by buffaloboyinATL

Who cares? He sucks. He's a worse version of Taylor, who also has a great ratio. Watch the games.

Why is he the only target of this protest blackballing? Didn't a good chunk of the league join him? Why haven't they all lost their jobs to wife beaters?

Yeah, we're much better off with TJ Yates and his 55% passing and 7 tds and 11 INTs.

The whole point is that we don't really know what Colin is asking for. I've seen supposition but that could quite easily be from the mouth of someone with an agenda.

I'm very confident that Gabbert's current contract expectation is much less than Kaep's. That's not to say that Kaep's contract's expectation will not come down as time passes and he is still sidelined. Correct me if I'm wrong but couldn't Kaep have stayed with the 49ers, even with a salary modification, at a higher price than what appears to be his current market worth?

Blaine gets a new gig before Colin. Surprise, surprise.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/862443101574639621

It has to be remembered that Gabbert was a top-10, first round draft pick. Those guys typically get 2nd and 3rd and 4th chances. Recall in 2015 under Tomsula and Ghryst, Gabbert actually was brought to look like a functional NFL QB.

He threw 63% completions, 7.2 ypa, 250 ypg, more than 1 TD per game and less than 1 INT per game. Next year under Kelly/Modkins, not so much - but it's 2015 that intrigues people.

Arizona is betting that perhaps the light finally turned on for Gabbert after 6 years in the league and with a real offense/coach (every coach thinks they've got the real deal), they've just acquired the next Alex Smith - a functional NFL QB who is not world-beating, but with the right pieces around him can get the job done.

Kaepernick actually looked pretty good in 2016, but I think he's seen more as a "system QB" who flourishes in a particular system and struggles with conventional QBing. He does have a bit more baggage, but I don't think that's why he's still "out".

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

I'm very confident that Gabbert's current contract expectation is much less than Kaep's. That's not to say that Kaep's contract's expectation will not come down as time passes and he is still sidelined. Correct me if I'm wrong but couldn't Kaep have stayed with the 49ers, even with a salary modification, at a higher price than what appears to be his current market worth?

It's lower for a reason and it's directly linked to talent and pedigree.

He could've stayed with San Francisco at a much higher rate, this is true. The option he declined was worth $16.9m. The flaw with some of this, from my point of view, is if he was solely interested in money, why would he have sabotaged his earning potential in such a grand manner?

It's lower for a reason and it's directly linked to talent and pedigree.

He could've stayed with San Francisco at a much higher rate, this is true. The option he declined was worth $16.9m. The flaw with some of this, from my point of view, is if he was solely interested in money, why would he have sabotaged his earning potential in such a grand manner?

Kaep wanted a fresh start. He got it. By not accepting the option he took a major financial risk in testing the market. That's his prerogative. So my original conjecture that Kaep's contract expectations were much higher than Gabbert's is more probable than not.

With respect to the highlighted section from a cost/benefit standpoint for a backup or maybe even a second backup position in Arizona the selection of Gabbert makes a lot of sense compared to bringing in Kaep. The central issue for Arizona isn't which qb is better as the issue is which qb makes more sense as a backup and at what price.

Yeah, we're much better off with TJ Yates and his 55% passing and 7 tds and 11 INTs.

You know there are many other factors to consider when signing a backup QB?

How comfortable they are being #2 behind an entrenched starter, what they offer in the film room and veteran experience, as well as mentor ship.

Now I don't know if Kaep is deficient or not in any of those areas. But I'd imagine he wants to start and won't be content as a backup, so half the league won't want him based on that. His experience game planning and executing different schemes and systems is also probably less profound than let's say Cassel, a guy who has bounced around and practiced and played in many different systems and had many different coaches.

Backups aren't just QB's 33-64.

Kaep wanted a fresh start. He got it. By not accepting the option he took a major financial risk in testing the market. That's his prerogative. So my original conjecture that Kaep's contract expectations were much higher than Gabbert's is more probable than not.

With respect to the highlighted section from a cost/benefit standpoint for a backup or maybe even a second backup position in Arizona the selection of Gabbert makes a lot of sense compared to bringing in Kaep. The central issue for Arizona isn't which qb is better as the issue is which qb makes more sense as a backup and at what price.

Agreed but backup qb in Arizona should be a big priority because of Palmer's age.

How comfortable they are being #2 behind an entrenched starter, what they offer in the film room and veteran experience, as well as mentor ship.

Now I don't know if Kaep is deficient or not in any of those areas. But I'd imagine he wants to start and won't be content as a backup, so half the league won't want him based on that. His experience game planning and executing different schemes and systems is also probably less profound than let's say Cassel, a guy who has bounced around and practiced and played in many different systems and had many different coaches.

If Kaepernick is overpricing himself, that's on him and I totally get why he isn't signed.

But with money being equal, there is no question he is better than TJ Yates or Matt Cassel or plenty of other scrubs who have jobs. You want to build the best team possible.

Agreed but backup qb in Arizona should be a big priority because of Palmer's age.

Drew Stanton is probably the prime backup for now. That can change with them keeping their eyes on the market for better qb options. You can bet that Arizona will be intensely scouting the college ranks for the next qb draft class, just like Buffalo.

If Kaepernick is overpricing himself, that's on him and I totally get why he isn't signed.

But with money being equal, there is no question he is better than TJ Yates or Matt Cassel or plenty of other scrubs who have jobs. You want to build the best team possible.

I actually just demonstrated otherwise. I'd say it's likely that Kaep has less to offer as a #2 behind teams with entrenched starters in the NFL at least.

Drew Stanton is probably the prime backup for now. That can change with them keeping their eyes on the market for better qb options. You can bet that Arizona will be intensely scouting the college ranks for the next qb draft class, just like Buffalo.

They also have Dysert and a rookie on the roster. They will keep looking.

Not many people are going to argue that Gabbert is anything more than a backup. In fact, that's what he is brought in to do, or at least compete for a backup job. He's at best a second-rate conventional backup qb. For the Cardinals the discussion isn't who is better rather than who is is better suited for the team and at what price?

Ask yourself what contract would Gabbert be willing to play for and what contract is Kaep willing to pay for? In this case the cheaper option is the better option as a backup, assuming he makes the team.

I agree, the reason that Gabbert is signed and Kaep isn't is because of the contract not football ability. The same goes for Fitz. He's way better than these scrubs.

I agree, the reason that Gabbert is signed and Kaep isn't is because of the contract not football ability. The same goes for Fitz. He's way better than these scrubs.

You're probably right. Good point on Fitz. He would be the best backup in the NFL. Hell, I'd welcome him back here.

You're probably right. Good point on Fitz. He would be the best backup in the NFL. Hell, I'd welcome him back here.

Fitz would be smart to go somewhere like Seattle. They have a nice team and are thin at QB. Plus that beard would fit in well in the Pacific Northwest. Other places that make sense for him IMO: Dallas, Giants, and maybe even the Raiders. He should go to a team that will compete but has clear needs at the number 2.

Yeah, a guy with a 16 to 4 td ratio on a crap team doesn't belong in the NFL while studs like Gabbert & Matt Cassel have jobs.

Peaceful protest in a country with the 1st amendment = bad. Punch a woman in the face = second round pick.

Playing in the NFL is a privilege, not an entitlement. Kaep burned that entitlement

In particular, TJ Yates spent three years under Dennison when they were both with Houston. So he has an "inside track" on both Dennison and his system which (presumably) gives him higher value as a mentor to the other QB in the room. Yates isn't going anywhere.

It may be true that Kaep is holding himself out hoping for 1) a chance to start if someone gets injured in OTAs/TC 2) more $$ than anyone is willing to pay right now

Playing in the NFL is a privilege, not an entitlement. Kaep burned that entitlement

If it's not an entitlement, then what would it matter if Kaep burned something its not?

I could be naive, but I truly think Kaep not having a job right now depends upon Kaep's salary and depth chart expectations and the type of QB he's perceived as being, more than on the whole anthem kerfluffle.

I don't really think of it as a privilege or an entitlement. If it was a privilege Greg Hardy wouldn't have gotten a 2nd chance. It's a combination of talent, contract demands and character that earns the opportunity. When that combination falls below the "Mendoza Line" you are looking for work. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Kap believes he can start somewhere. Teams feel differently. Nobody knows if the guy has received calls or not. For all we know, he has, but the team on the other end is saying, "Here's our offer, and you're going to be the backup." If Kap says no, then that's why he's still without a job. On top of that, if he were to agree to be a backup, no team is going to deal with any kind of distractions from a backup player, regardless of the cause. People gotta remember that he's representing a professional organization and although he has a right to free speech and a right to state his opinions, he isn't entitled to use his employer as a platform to share those opinions.