May Movies: Guardians Vol.2, Pirates 5, & Alien: Covenant

"Avengers: Infinity War" will be cinematic insanity.

Side note: "Infinity" doesn't refer to the movie's conflict, but the run-time they'll have to hit to give the characters any meaningful screen time.

That bill is so ridiculous already that the opening credits will take half an hour (superimposed over a meaningless action scene that involves - conservatively - eighteen hundred cuts). But no matter the run-time, they'll find five seconds for a self-indulgent, lingering, meaningless Stan Lee cameo. And eight inter- or post-credit scenes promoting the next Spider Man, Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Black Widow, Guardians of the Galaxy: Yondoo's Revenge, Ant Man, and Captain America, movies.

(Side note: I though the use of The Immigrant Song in the trailer for Thor: Ragnarok was goddamn perfect. I think the whole theater was massively pumped by that trailer.)

(Another side note: I hope the producers of the Tomb Raider reboot at least considered Zoe Saldana for Lara Croft. She probably couldn't have done it, between Star Trek and the MCU...but it would have been inspired casting.)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dwayne Johnson & Zac Efron star in, "Baywatch". Devoted lifeguard Mitch Buchanan butts heads with a brash new recruit. Together, they uncover a local criminal plot that threatens the future of the Bay. Also starring Alexandra Daddario & Kelly Rohrbach.

...Baywatch...starring Alexandra Daddario

Yep. That's a video keeper.

Dwayne Johnson & Zac Efron star in, "Baywatch". Devoted lifeguard Mitch Buchanan butts heads with a brash new recruit. Together, they uncover a local criminal plot that threatens the future of the Bay. Also starring Alexandra Daddario & Kelly Rohrbach.

...Baywatch...starring Alexandra Daddario

Yep. That's a video keeper.

You have to at least link a trailer after that much build up. ;)

EDIT: This is the NSFW trailer (language)

Edited by Deranged Rhino

Yeah. I got all the trailer I need in her scenes with Woody Harrelson in True Detective.

Edited by timekills17

This gets back to my earlier post about current movie economics: this movie would probably be a good $30 moviegoing experience (being beautifully self-referential and lampshading all the stupidity of the series), but at closer to $60, I'll just wait for it to hit HBO.

Alexandra Daddario in another Dwayne Johnson vehicle. Is she playing an obviously 30-year old high school senior in this movie, too?

... I won't see Alien:Covenant because at its core, it boils down to just more dumb people visiting a strange planet they shouldn't without ever thinking "oh, there might be some hostile **** there, perhaps we should pack LOTS and LOTS of guns, just in case."

i would watch just about any Ridley Scott movie.

I won't see Alien:Covenant because at its core, it boils down to just more dumb people visiting a strange planet they shouldn't without ever thinking "oh, there might be some hostile **** there, perhaps we should pack LOTS and LOTS of guns, just in case."

Saw this the other day and laughed:

lhYjEtc.jpg

Side note: "Infinity" doesn't refer to the movie's conflict, but the run-time they'll have to hit to give the characters any meaningful screen time.

That bill is so ridiculous already that the opening credits will take half an hour (superimposed over a meaningless action scene that involves - conservatively - eighteen hundred cuts). But no matter the run-time, they'll find five seconds for a self-indulgent, lingering, meaningless Stan Lee cameo. And eight inter- or post-credit scenes promoting the next Spider Man, Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Black Widow, Guardians of the Galaxy: Yondoo's Revenge, Ant Man, and Captain America, movies.

(Side note: I though the use of The Immigrant Song in the trailer for Thor: Ragnarok was goddamn perfect. I think the whole theater was massively pumped by that trailer.)

(Another side note: I hope the producers of the Tomb Raider reboot at least considered Zoe Saldana for Lara Croft. She probably couldn't have done it, between Star Trek and the MCU...but it would have been inspired casting.)

:lol:

You might be right, but it'll still be awesome.

:lol:

You might be right, but it'll still be awesome.

The dramatic tension provided by whole "Will Steve Rogers and Tony Stark stop sniping at each other long enough to save the world" story arc will make the movie a real nail-biter, I'm sure. Do you think they'll be able to put aside their differences this time?

Yes, it'll be awesome...but my God, these movies are getting so easy to pick on.

Edit: and I forgot the ninth inter/post-credit scene that's nothing but a clip of Howard the Duck drinking a martini.

Edited by DC Tom

The dramatic tension provided by whole "Will Steve Rogers and Tony Stark stop sniping at each other long enough to save the world" story arc will make the movie a real nail-biter, I'm sure. Do you think they'll be able to put aside their differences this time?

Yes, it'll be awesome...but my God, these movies are getting so easy to pick on.

Edit: and I forgot the ninth inter/post-credit scene that's nothing but a clip of Howard the Duck drinking a martini.

I'm expecting a few characters to die since their contracts are up, and Marvel has already replaced them in the comics books for diversity.

That was a severely under-rated movie. Who didn't enjoy the sexual tension between Lorraine McFly and a pre-effective CGI duck?

More speculation than spoiler, but I'll play it safe:

I never would have thought it about a year ago, but suddenly Nebula looks to have a big role in all of that.

If you've read the Infinity Guantlet, then you know how big of a role Nebula plays.

She's an integral part of the story. Which the movie will obviously draw from.

Also, I've seen GOTG vol 2 three times already. Love it. Not as good as the first but a good follow up and probably the 8th best MCU film out of 15 IMO.

Edited by Jay_Fixit

That was a severely under-rated movie. Who didn't enjoy the sexual tension between Lorraine McFly and a pre-effective CGI duck?

And a damn good thing it was a pre-CGI duck, too. Imagine how bad it would have been if Lucas had CGI available then?

Saw Alien: Covenant last night. My bro hated it but I'm an Alien junkie and enjoyed it, although I realize they've veered so far off from where they need to be to make the original movie make sense.

But a bad sign is that the theater was at-best half-filled. Prometheus' premiere was packed.

Saw Alien: Covenant last night. My bro hated it but I'm an Alien junkie and enjoyed it, although I realize they've veered so far off from where they need to be to make the original movie make sense.

But a bad sign is that the theater was at-best half-filled. Prometheus' premiere was packed.

A little frustrating. I wanted this series to be really good. I feel like I'm the only person who enjoyed Prometheus.

Would you pay to see it again

A little frustrating. I wanted this series to be really good. I feel like I'm the only person who enjoyed Prometheus.

I loved Prometheus and didn't even know it was an aliens movie when I watched it. Yeah I know. I live under a rock.

I loved Prometheus and didn't even know it was an aliens movie when I watched it. Yeah I know. I live under a rock.

No. But I'll probably watch it whenever I'm watching TV and I see it's on a premium channel.

Prometheus would have been better-served being a stand alone movie.

Prometheus was on network tv today and a group of us watched it. Didn't realize the crew were a bunch of idiots. Who sees an alien snake thing and tries to pet it?