17 members of Bills scouting staff fired.

JM2009

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeffrey Littman when the Bills were sold to Pegula. Him and Mary Owen left to run the Ralph Silson Foundation. I read somewhere that he actually got like 1% of the Bills sale price (but I'm not sure if thats true or not).

Overdorf and Brandon are still there, though.

I'd be pretty surprised if Overdorf kept his job once a new GM is hired, but we will see. I believe this is his 31st year with the Bills (I think he was hired in 1986).

Russ Brandon is never going anywhere, it appears.

Littman may have gotten more than that (not sure) and Mary Owen is Ralph's niece. They both took a nice piece of the sale I would imagine.

I usually try not to be overly sensitive here but this is beyond appalling. I know many of these people and they have wives and kids. They are good people. It's part of the business but to celebrate them losing their jobs is disgusting. These are guys that have to go home and tell their spouses that they no longer have a job. They aren't rich by any means and did their best to improve the team. There were hits and there were misses. It is a part of the business but an awful part (not one to be celebrated). Stay classy

To play Devils advocate on this defensefest.

Would it matter if your DIDN'T know them?

Like, you know, how most of us don't know the. They are just nameless faceless people who have perhaps not done the best job scouting for our team?

Weak analogy but .... When a failed government agency shutters an office because it was wasting cash - do you not think to yourself "good?"

How is it any different when we root for coaches to be sacked or QBs to be replaced? Because they make more money?

If they aren't any good at their jobs or their performance is tied to that of a group...way it goes. That's a right to work economy.

Celebrate it. Or don't.

To play Devils advocate on this defensefest.

Would it matter if your DIDN'T know them?

Like, you know, how most of us don't know the. They are just nameless faceless people who have perhaps not done the best job scouting for our team?

Weak analogy but .... When a failed government agency shutters an office because it was wasting cash - do you not think to yourself "good?"

How is it any different when we root for coaches to be sacked or QBs to be replaced? Because they make more money?

If they aren't any good at their jobs or their performance is tied to that of a group...way it goes. That's a right to work economy.

Celebrate it. Or don't.

Does anyone ever celebrate when a factory is shut down? No, because they don't have the emotional investment that they have in the Bills. It is not different though. It is an bunch of people that have to figure out how to pay their mortgage, take care of their kids and pay their bills. That's how it is different than a coach or QB being replaced. They don't have those dilemmas. It sucks that they have lost their job but their mortgages will be paid. No one is sensitive when the CEO that ran a company into the ground gets a golden parachute. Some people NEED their job more than others.

The ESPN layoffs are an example where I feel for them but not the same. They released a lot of highly compensated people that have reached the pinnacle of their profession (regardless of what you think of ESPN). They will all land on their feet. While it's sad to have to uproot your family and to sever the relationships that you have, they will be okay. A low level scout may not be able to pay June rent. It would work the same way if ESPN cut a production assistant instead of Ed Werder. I'd feel for Ed but more for the production assistant. Wouldn't you?

I've said about all that I can say on the topic. If this is a cause for celebration, I feel bad for you. I want the Bills to win as much as anyone but that doesn't mean it was a good day. Change is a part of the business. Everyone knows that but it doesn't excuse the lack of empathy and compassion from some. People shouldn't treat people that way.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Does anyone ever celebrate when a factory is shut down? No, because they don't have the emotional investment that they have in the Bills. It is not different though. It is an bunch of people that have to figure out how to pay their mortgage, take care of their kids and pay their bills. That's how it is different than a coach or QB being replaced. They don't have those dilemmas. It sucks that they have lost their job but their mortgages will be paid. No one is sensitive when the CEO that ran a company into the ground gets a golden parachute. Some people NEED their job more than others.

The ESPN layoffs are an example where I fee for them but not the same. They released a lot of highly compensated people that have reached the pinnacle of their profession (regardless of what you think of ESPN). They will all land on their feet. While it's sad to have to uproot your family and to sever the relationships that you have, they will be okay. A low level scout may not be able to pay June rent. It would work the same way if ESPN cut a production assistant instead of Ed Werder. I'd feel for Ed but more for the production assistant. Wouldn't you?

Correct Kirby. Equally a low level scout who has only been in the Bills personnel department for say a year having battled to get his foot in the door on the scouting ladder doing unpaid intern work might now be faced with the prospect that his career in NLF scouting is over. Jim Monos, Rob Hanrahan and Calvin Fisher will have no issue getting jobs. They have reputations and track records and will have opportunities to continue working in the league if that is what they want to do. The low level scouts are probably relying on one of those guys getting jobs and being willing to take them along for the ride. Otherwise it might be curtains. I don't know how anyone celebrates that, whether they know the people involved or not.

I don't know about 'celebrate'.

If you say 'good...they cleaned house...maybe we can get some quality scouts in there'. What's wrong with that?

I don't see anyone throwing **** at their homes or teasing their kids.

Being an NFL scout, even a low level scout, is a dream job for some I'm sure. If they are good they will remain or find other work. If not, they won't.

I don't empathize with people who have lost a decent job - because it won't accomplish anything. I celebrate those who are successful.

Maybe I'm just a prick.

I don't know about 'celebrate'.

If you say 'good...they cleaned house...maybe we can get some quality scouts in there'. What's wrong with that?

I don't see anyone throwing **** at their homes or teasing their kids.

Being an NFL scout, even a low level scout, is a dream job for some I'm sure. If they are good they will remain or find other work. If not, they won't.

I don't empathize with people who have lost a decent job - because it won't accomplish anything. I celebrate those who are successful.

Maybe I'm just a prick.

If they would have cut based on their quality it would have been different. No one can convince me that the people on the pro side weren't excelling. They are sending street FA to the Pro Bowl and onto large contracts. They have done that as well, or better, than anyone in the league. If they were good, they should have remained.

My point was never about who should or shouldn't have been let go. It was about empathy and compassion for regular people.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

If they would have cut based on their quality it would have been different. No one can convince me that the people on the pro side weren't excelling. They are sending street FA to the Pro Bowl and onto large contracts. They have done that as well, or better, than anyone in the league. If they were good, they should have remained.

My point was never about who should or shouldn't have been let go. It was about empathy and compassion for regular people.

I don't see these people as 'regular people' despite their salary.

But I guess it doesn't matter.

Personally I don't care when random people lose their jobs unless they are my friend or family. But I guess that is what makes different folks stroke.

I have no compassion for them - they have it better than 99% of the world and 95% of all Americans.

I don't see these people as 'regular people' despite their salary.

But I guess it doesn't matter.

Personally I don't care when random people lose their jobs unless they are my friend or family. But I guess that is what makes different folks stroke.

I have no compassion for them - they have it better than 99% of the world and 95% of all Americans.

Oh, well that says pretty much all that I need to know about you. At least you are honest though. I didn't know that $50-$60k put you in the top 5% of the US? Edited by Kirby Jackson

Littman may have gotten more than that (not sure) and Mary Owen is Ralph's niece. They both took a nice piece of the sale I would imagine.

...Littmann definitely got 1%....Ralph gifted it to him many years ago.....he was CFO/Treasurer in most of Ralph's businesses and charitable organizations.....don't know about Mary.......as far as all scouts who were fired, I doubt there would be any reason to bar them from re-hire if the new GM wanted to interview them.....should be his choice as to how he structures his staff......cleaning house although a rough ride allows new guy to start fresh.........................

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

...Littmann definitely got 1%....Ralph gifted it to him many years ago.....he was CFO/Treasurer in most of Ralph's businesses and charitable organizations.....don't know about Mary..............

Yeah, I know that they all got a piece (think Russ did too). I don't know the breakdown though.

I usually try not to be overly sensitive here but this is beyond appalling. I know many of these people and they have wives and kids. They are good people. It's part of the business but to celebrate them losing their jobs is disgusting. These are guys that have to go home and tell their spouses that they no longer have a job. They aren't rich by any means and did their best to improve the team. There were hits and there were misses. It is a part of the business but an awful part (not one to be celebrated). Stay classy

I agree Kirby. I must say, I always respected Jim Monos, and hoped he would be retained. I'd like to say thanks for the service and effort to Doug Whaley, too.

Oh, wel that says pretty much all that inneed to know about you. At leas you are honest though. I didn't know that $50-$60k put you in the top 5% of the US?

A household income of $100k puts them in the 80th%ile.

Even these guys who make 60k are making twice the median income in the city.

So I might have been exaggerating a bit without looking at the stats.

Definitely 99%ile of the world, though....

Anyways. I've never been an empathetic person. Occasional sympathy but That's rare too.