RD 5, Pick 171: Nathan Peterman (QB) - Pitt

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peterman does not have a "weak arm."

Perhaps. I have seen a bunch of tape on him. I didn't see any sign of a strong throw that betrays weak arm. I watched a tape this morning of every single throw in his best game against Clemson and there wasn't one sign of a strong enough arm. I could be wrong and would like to see a few throws that show NFL adequate arm strength. I hope I'm wrong, I want him to be a star. He seems like if he had an NFL arm he would have been a round one pick because there is a ton to like about him. In fact, the fact he wasn't drafted even as high as the predictions, like the third or so, proved to me that his arm is very, very, very suspect.

Peterman does not have a "weak arm."

everyone hears a few scouts say his arm is a little bit below average or not as big as some of the other QBs in the draft and they go all crazy. His arm is as strong as many of the starters already in the national football league. Watch his games, he can throw the deep ball just fine. Stop overreacting to everything you hear in the media.

From what I've seen of him, there's nothing wrong with his arm. He's certainly not John Elway, but he has a good enough arm to get by with. About average, maybe a little better, from what I can see.

That's a new stat that doesn't seem to work yet. Like, for instance, Glennon also threw 49 and he has a very good arm.

Yup.

It's the deep out route that shows arm strength. QBs need to be able to put the ball far enough ahead of the WR because of the speed of the secondary players in the NFL. They also can't float it out there because the safety can come pick it off.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

They both had more than adequate arms. Gannon had a pretty good one. Easily far better than what I have seen from Peterman, who seems to be in the Colt McCoy, Kellen Moore category.

What was their arm strength like coming out of college? There is no comparison to NFL weight training programs. I'd rather my QB be lifting dumbbells than learning what a 3 step drop is and how to plant his feet.

Yup.

It's the deep out route that shows arm strength. QBs need to be able to put the ball far enough ahead of the WR because of the speed of the secondary players in the NFL.

Yep. Plus how they throw. Fitzy had barely enough arm. And he had to wind up and throw it like a baseball with all his might to do even that. Which was a fraction of a second that took longer to get there from the time he decided to throw and the ball got there. The reason it's essential in the NFL is because the DBs are so quick and fast, and what worked in college simply doesn't work in the NFL. If you cannot throw the deep out with enough oomph it's almost impossible to succeed.

How can anyone not be exited about this pick? Worst that happens is that a 5th rounder doesn't pan out.

All I've heard from pundits is that he's a potential steal who shouldn't have dropped so far, that he's accurate, that he scans the field and makes good decisions and has moxie. Also, he's one of the few guys Belichick looked at.

Could be our 10 year guy. At worst, he's probably the best backup we've had since Reich.

The bills have had top back ups for decades. The problem has been they start

What was their arm strength like coming out of college? There is no comparison to NFL weight training programs. I'd rather my QB be lifting dumbbells than learning what a 3 step drop is and how to plant his feet.

The knock on them both was they didn't have the requisite arm strength. And it's showed to be their downfall since before they got into the league. Guys like that are terrible for your team because they will look good in camp and in preseason which is not played at regular season speed. So they are total teases.

Yep. Plus how they throw. Fitzy had barely enough arm. And he had to wind up and throw it like a baseball with all his might to do even that. Which was a fraction of a second that took longer to get there from the time he decided to throw and the ball got there. The reason it's essential in the NFL is because the DBs are so quick and fast, and what worked in college simply doesn't work in the NFL. If you cannot throw the deep out with enough oomph it's almost impossible to succeed.

Pretty hard to succed without a vertical attack or at least the threat of it. It's what did in Trent Edwards.

The knock on them both was they didn't have the requisite arm strength. And it's showed to be their downfall since before they got into the league. Guys like that are terrible for your team because they will look good in camp and in preseason which is not played at regular season speed. So they are total teases.

If anything causes Peterman to fail it will probably be his arm strength. I'm just saying I think it's easily the most correctable weakness out of them all. Teams get hypnotized by a guy Mahomes because he has a cannon and they convince themselves his mechanics can be rebuilt from scratch. Spending a 1st rounder (2 1st rounders actually)?on that is IMO tremendously dumber than spending a 5th round pick on someone whose biggest knock is something that can be fixed with reps in the gym.

Pretty hard to succed without a vertical attack or at least the threat of it. It's what did in Trent Edwards.

He was a perfect example in one way, although I thought his arm was just strong enough. He couldn't handle pressure either. But the reason he is a great example was he would look great in camp and preseason when the game is played at a slower speed. It was an amazing thing you don't often see but Edwards wowed Chan Gailey in camp and preseason being so accurate and completing passes when the real bullets weren't flying. Then he played two regular season games, Chan realized he couldn't do it at that speed, and didn't bench him he just cut him. Because he knew Edwards would never be able to do it. Very similar with the weak arm.

How about TT throwing 50 mph. The guy has a cannon.

Yep.