Schwartz's Great 2014 Defense - Get Over It, It's Gone

I still keep seeing those references to how Rex wrecked the Bills defense, and how a new coach can get us back to where we were under Schwartz. But take a look at who the actual players were and how many are left:

DL: 3 holdovers, but only one still performing at the same level

Mario - GONE

Kyle - old, and maybe gone

Dareus - "uninspired" to put it kindly. Dimished skills and uninspired to put it bluntly (hah!)

Hughes - still there, the only one still around playing at anything resembling his 2014 form

Depth/Rotation Guys (all of whom played a lot under Schwartz's rotation) : Wynn/Charles/Bryant/Lawson - all GONE

LB then: only 1 holdover

Bradham/Spikes/Ty Powell/Rivers - all GONE (yeah, even Randell Johnson and Larry Dean, guys I'd completely forgotten existed)

Preston Brown - still there, but exposed in subsequent years as a very limited player

DB: all GONE

Gilmore, Leodis, Searcy, Aaron Williams, Graham, Duke Williams, Cockrell, Robey, Brooks, Rambo

So there's exactly 4 players left from that defense, and that includes the depth guys. And the ones that are left are 3 years older (and a few suspensions later). Please, no more talk about how a different scheme will return the defense to its glory days of 2014.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

Way to quickly dismiss our DTs in a purely negative light...not saying that stuff is wholly false, but in all likelihood better days and results are ahead for Marcell. Nothing really needs to be said about Kyle.

As for our DBs and LBs, do any of those names besides Gilmore and healthy AW seem so almighty and sorely missed?

I still keep seeing those references to how Rex wrecked the Bills defense, and how a new coach can get us back to where we were under Schwartz. But take a look at who the actual players were and how many are left:

DL: 3 holdovers, but only one still performing at the same level

Mario - GONE

Kyle - old, and maybe gone

Dareus - "uninspired" to put it kindly. Dimished skills and uninspired to put it bluntly (hah!)

Hughes - still there, the only one still around playing at anything resembling his 2014 form

Depth/Rotation Guys (all of whom played a lot under Schwartz's rotation) : Wynn/Charles/Bryant/Lawson - all GONE

LB then: only 1 holdover

Bradham/Spikes/Ty Powell/Rivers - all GONE (yeah, even Randell Johnson and Larry Dean, guys I'd completely forgotten existed)

Preston Brown - still there, but exposed in subsequent years as a very limited player

DB: all GONE

Gilmore, Leodis, Searcy, Aaron Williams, Graham, Duke Williams, Cockrell, Robey, Brooks, Rambo

So there's exactly 4 players left from that defense, and that includes the depth guys. And the ones that are left are 3 years older (and a few suspensions later). Please, no more talk about how a different scheme will return the defense to its glory days of 2014.

Well said. Mario has never been replaced and Shaq can never be that level.

I do think Dareus will be great this year but Hughes is more of a question mark. He didn't play well last year and needs to be healthy.

Way to quickly dismiss our DTs in a purely negative light...not saying that stuff is wholly false, but in all likelihood better days and results are ahead for Marcell. Nothing really needs to be said about Kyle.

As for our DBs and LBs, do any of those names besides Gilmore and healthy AW seem so almighty and sorely missed?

Could be, but only in the sense that there's nowhere for him to go but up. Even taking away the suspension and injury (and commitment?) issues, the aging curve for DTs is not very encouraging, and he is 3 years older than he was in his last highly productive season.

2014 was the year Dareus failed his conditioning test. If anything that was the year he was the most uninspired. He has everything to prove this year, I don't see how his skills have diminished.

I have to see Kyle's play diminish before I write him off.

I don't know where the idea comes from that what works one year is going to work the next. Teams adapt to what you're doing eventually.

And given the short nature of NFL careers, the idea one side of the ball will remain very good or better with the same or very similar personnel is myopic.

Yeah the turnover since 2014 has been huge, there isn't much reason to think that the defense will resemble 2014. But hopefully the D-line and the newer additions step up. Dareus, Hughes, Kyle, Shaq, Washington, and company could make for a very deep formidable unit. If Brown can find a way to return to being a capable starter and Lorax and Ragland fit well in the scheme then I don't see why the LB core won't be productive. The Secondary is a bit of a question mark even with White being added. Darby, Hyde, and now White are the only 3 that you can have confidence in and 1 is a rookie.

If Seymour and the other less known players can contribute then the defense stands a chance. I suspect one of those third round picks will be invested into the secondary if not both 3rd rounders.

Communication issues are what distroyed our great defense....

Hopefully that can make a return

Well, that's what I'm talking about ... there are precisely 4 players on this 2017 roster who played in the pre-Rex defense! I don't care how well they communicate with each other. There's absolutely nothing relevant about the fact that our defense was really good before Rex.

I believe this Dline will exceed that of the Schwartz era as well as the defense should be better over all.

And why would you think that? Even if there's nothing else changed, Dareus and Kyle are 3 years older (and Kyle will be 34), and Mario had a fantastic season (his last one) under Schwartz, so even if Shaq is very good there's no reason to think he'll be prime Mario good. And add to that that the depth is gone. This is wishful thinking, not analysis.

It was long gone the moment our Bills hired Rex Ryan

He stripped the identity from within when he changed schemes

IMO the team identity is currently its offensive run game

Has been for a min 2 years

However someday a dominant front 4, or a lights out secondary, or a pass attack, or great LB coverage team, might resurface

Hard to say when

Except Coach SM knows a thing or two about the secondary, which is why it's being revamped, re-schemed

Hard to say if short term it'll be like Rex, made worse, or improved

It sure is different

Just not sure its addressing our biggest weakness

Our run D

Or maybe Ragland alone and another scheme change solves that

We will see

jc

Well, that's what I'm talking about ... there are precisely 4 players on this 2017 roster who played in the pre-Rex defense! I don't care how well they communicate with each other. There's absolutely nothing relevant about the fact that our defense was really good before Rex.

And why would you think that? Even if there's nothing else changed, Dareus and Kyle are 3 years older (and Kyle will be 34), and Mario had a fantastic season (his last one) under Schwartz, so even if Shaq is very good there's no reason to think he'll be prime Mario good. And add to that that the depth is gone. This is wishful thinking, not analysis.

sorry my wishful thinking doesn't stand up to your analysis but I believe coaching will play a big part of the defense getting back to form.

I'm no professional here so you can just look past how I see it and may be better off critiquing a more qualified poster.

at seasons end we will know whether my beliefs were just wishful thinking, or reality?

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

sorry my wishful thinking doesn't stand up to your analysis but I believe coaching will play a big part of the defense getting back to form.

I'm no professional here so you can just look past how I see it and may be better off critiquing a more qualified poster.

at seasons end we will know whether my beliefs were just wishful thinking, or reality?

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like a jackass. I think this is just my frustration speaking. We really had assembled an elite group of defensive talent, only to see Rex squander it over the next 2 seasons. And now they're almost all gone, the feeling of that window of opportunity slamming shut with nothing (not even a single playoff game) to show for it.