I don't understand the White hate...

This should be a pick loved by every Bills fan on both sides of the QB fence.

For the "Tyrod is our QB (at least now)" fans: This pick solidifies the fact that Tyrod is Buffalo's starting QB in 2017 and demonstrates a "here are the keys to the car, let's see what you can do" attitude by McDermott for the 2017 season. If Tyrod and the Bills exceed expectations and Taylor plays better than 2016 and more to the level of or better than 2015 and the Bills make the playoffs, don't expect Buffalo to draft a QB in round 1 again next year, despite 2 first round picks because Taylor might get another renegotiated deal and a longer term, more secure one in the offseason.

BUT

For the Tyrod dissenters: This trade down affords Buffalo the unique opportunity in 2018 in a (supposedly... like always) strong QB class to either draft a QB high because we sucked in 2017 and have a very high pick (which I don't think will happen) or we have the opportunity to use that 2nd 1st rounder (and likely compensatory picks considering our FA losses this year) to trade up for Darnold or another QB we like.

Plus, we got an extra 3rd round draft class in a clearly deep draft class where there are a good number of extremely talented players on the board.

Win on all sides!

Except for KC... who SEVERELY overdrafted a QB.

I'm feeling better about the pick today.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He is a decent player. Nothing more, nothing less. Not elite by any means. If we were in a full rebuild I would of like the trade down/pick. I just don't think the have Bills a plan.

Teams that don't have a plan don't make moves on the board. They were sitting at 10 and could've taken Lattimore but probably felt there wasn't that big of a drop off in value between Lattimore and White so they traded down.

CB was a need and they weren't gonna take Conley and probably wasn't gonna take Sidney Jones that early so they took White. Not a splash pick but i ain't mad.

I'm not seeing any White hate. Where are you seeing that? I'm seeing critics (myself included) saying that from all we know and hear he seems to be a useful player, not destined for stardom but destined to be a solid starting CB. The criticism is about Bills' management and what the plan is - assuming there is a plan? - for how they're either going to get better in 2017, or get good enough to be a real SB competitor in the foreseeable future. Besides, in the battle of the unnecessary apostrophes, I prefer Adoree' to Tre'Davious (understanding that the former is really just a transliteration of the French accent aigu)

Seems to me the plan is pretty obvious. They were going to draft a corner, plenty of good ones in this draft so they traded back and picked up an extra third rounder this year and an extra first rounder next year. What about that is the least bit complicated or hard to understand?

Correct. Dropped down way too far and missed out on pro bowl quality players to get an undersized corner that was projected to go where you got him. The way the draft was playing out the 10th pick was more valuable than what they got in return because lots of top players were dropping. Lots of talent between 10-25 so to drop all the way to 27 was very unfortunate

"Undersized"? He's 5'11-1/4" and 192#. That's 3/4" and 1# lighter than Lattimore.

4 year starter in the best conference in college football.

Leader, high character, and straight baller.

Fills position of need and the best thing about it? We gained 2 extra picks which includes a first rounder next year in the best QB class in awhile.

Smart move OBD. Let's finish strong these next 2 days, go 5-11 next year, and we have a legit shot at Darnold, Rosen, or Allen.

Stay positive folks. I trust this McDermott guy.

Agreed. The hate was against the Bill picking him, not towards him Edited by fansince88

The trade-down was fantastic and White is universally described as a competent, jack-of-all-trades DB with strong leadership skills and intangibles; a good presence/voice in the locker room type.

He seems like a solid acquisition but the deal to get him is even better.

We NEED a LOT more of these guys here

Seems to me the plan is pretty obvious. They were going to draft a corner, plenty of good ones in this draft so they traded back and picked up an extra third rounder this year and an extra first rounder next year. What about that is the least bit complicated or hard to understand?

People who willfully close their eyes can't see the obvious even if you put it right in front of their faces

"Undersized"? He's 5'11-1/4" and 192#. That's 3/4" and 1# lighter than Lattimore.

You've been around here long enough to know this guy likes to complain about anything and everything.

1. Great title lol

2. After all the gut reactions and natural whining dissipated, it seems like people are liking the pick more and more as they look into it, I wouldn't worry about this.

3. It all comes down to if Mahomes or Watson are actually Franchise Qbs. This trade will be re-discussed for years depending on their results, Tre, who next year's pick will be, etc. I pray they aren't for the sake of avoiding the "wtf we could have taken Dak?!?!?!?!?!" kind of renaissance

Edited by JimKellyTryouts

This should be a pick loved by every Bills fan on both sides of the QB fence.

For the "Tyrod is our QB (at least now)" fans: This pick solidifies the fact that Tyrod is Buffalo's starting QB in 2017 and demonstrates a "here are the keys to the car, let's see what you can do" attitude by McDermott for the 2017 season. If Tyrod and the Bills exceed expectations and Taylor plays better than 2016 and more to the level of or better than 2015 and the Bills make the playoffs, don't expect Buffalo to draft a QB in round 1 again next year, despite 2 first round picks because Taylor might get another renegotiated deal and a longer term, more secure one in the offseason.

BUT

For the Tyrod dissenters: This trade down affords Buffalo the unique opportunity in 2018 in a (supposedly... like always) strong QB class to either draft a QB high because we sucked in 2017 and have a very high pick (which I don't think will happen) or we have the opportunity to use that 2nd 1st rounder (and likely compensatory picks considering our FA losses this year) to trade up for Darnold or another QB we like.

Plus, we got an extra 3rd round draft class in a clearly deep draft class where there are a good number of extremely talented players on the board.

Win on all sides!

Except for KC... who SEVERELY overdrafted a QB.

Nice post. I generally agree.

Everything, including most of the complaints about the trade down, are actually the QB discussion rehashed.

If you think Taylor is a lost cause, you think the Bills should have done all that they could have to draft a QB. They had Mahomes and Watson sitting there. That tells you what we always knew: the Bills haven't given up on Taylor.

If you believe Taylor is a star about to emerge, you don't want to draft a QB this year OR next year.

If you're like me (and the Bills) you want to see a year of Taylor in his new offense. Next February is when the Bills make their decision about the QB for the next 5-7 seasons. If they decide it's Taylor, they'll renegotiate his contract and they'll have two first round picks to build around him. If they decide it isn't Taylor, they have the picks that will allow them to move up to the top of the draft.

That's the story, like it or not.

Edited by Shaw66

Every fan is a different person with different opinions and you can never make everyone happy.

I would've liked to see Watson at #10. The need for CB was self-inflicted. The value of the 2018 first is overstated.

Exactly. Nice move to nab an extra pick but all we did was trade Gilmore for White. This is not helping us one bit. Its called treading water. Expect more of the same tonight in regards to replacing players that walked. Woods and Gillislee. When in all actuality it should have been the QB to go and we keep our true contributers and draft a QB at 10. Now the Patriots have just improved quite a bit on both sides of the ball with Gilmpore and Gillislee. Hogan wasnt enough last year smh. Whatever.

Everything, including most of the complaints about the trade down, are actually the QB discussion rehashed.

If you think Taylor is a lost cause, you think the Bills should have done all that they could have to draft a QB. They had Mahomes and Watson sitting there. That tells you what we always knew: the Bills haven't given up on Taylor.

If you believe Taylor is a star about to emerge, you don't want to draft a QB this year OR next year.

If you're like me (and the Bills) you want to see a year of Taylor in his new offense. Next February is when the Bills make their decision about the QB for the next 5-7 seasons. If they decide it's Taylor, they'll renegotiate his contract and they'll have two first round picks to build around him. If they decide it isn't Taylor, they have the picks that will allow them to move up to the top of the draft.

Whats new about this offense? We lost Gillislee and Woods. We are gonna find better replacements in the draft tonight and tomorrow?

There has actually been quite a bit in different threads.

I'm home recovering from surgery and have enough time to hit all the draft threads and I haven't seen a single hateful post about White. Some people are disappointed because they wanted Howard or Mahomes, etc. But no one was hating on Tre. In spite of the debased state of American culture, making stuff up still isn't cool with most people. Edited by yungmack

I don't know why anyone would really complain. Yeah I wanted OJ Howard or Corey Davis but it didn't happen, so I simply moved on. This guy started damn near 4 years at one of the best schools who are known to produce really good DB's. I think the Bills got the best all around corner in the draft. And if there's one position that you should feel confident about McDermott evaluating, it's a CB.

Exactly. Nice move to nab an extra pick but all we did was trade Gilmore for White. This is not helping us one bit. Its called treading water. Expect more of the same tonight in regards to replacing players that walked. Woods and Gillislee. When in all actuality it should have been the QB to go and we keep our true contributers and draft a QB at 10. Now the Patriots have just improved quite a bit on both sides of the ball with Gilmpore and Gillislee. Hogan wasnt enough last year smh. Whatever.

Whats new about this offense? We lost Gillislee and Woods. We are gonna find better replacements in the draft tonight and tomorrow?

You wanted to pay 25 million per year for those 3 players? Yeesh

Thats what teams do to keep players that perform on their team. Pay up or let them walk. We are not gaining ground in the division. Still losing ground even

Maybe 4 years from now when these guys drafted today are looking to be renewed we can do that and add more to the roster in that years subsequent draft. Make sense? We need to manage the cap much better. So we can afford to keep those guys. Where is all the money tied up on a team that is not playoff ready? Gonna be a few more years at least.

Bingo

What's new about the offense? Seriously? Did you know we have a new offensive coordinator? Well yeah, we do. New OC = new offense

I'm guessing after the 3 top WRs were picked ahead of us, the Bills were only thinking CB at #10. And in their minds there wasn't a huge difference between the #1 CB and the #5 CB in this draft.

They also knew this was a strong draft class overall and that they'd have a good player waiting for them at #27.

We all want to see our team sign the big names but getting extra 1st and 3rd round picks is huge.