Instant starter + 1st and 3rd Rd picks = Success

Your read up on White and he's a 4 year starter that is basically ready to jump in on day 1 and perform at a high level.. Seymour-Darby-White is looking like a trio that could realistically emerge as a very good trio of CBS and upgrade the group even with the loss of Gilmore. He's versatile too, Micha Hyde, two guys that can turn into stars in this system.And they'd be together for at least 3 years.

Oh and you get a 3rd and a 1st next year!

Straight business, building for now and the future. Whaley and Co get an A for this pick. ..Thoughts?

I think you are dreaming if you think Whaley orchastrated this=P

Also, does this need to be its own thread?

I don't know, but Whaleys team obviously had this kid on their radar and Whaleys team orchestrated a 1st and 3rd Rd pick additionally. I'd say they did a helluva job. McD''s fingertips are b on it ,but b that's how it should be. Give Whaley props when their Due!

Chiefs GM already stated the deal originated when he talked to Whaley and that he talked to Whaley each day this week. If McDermott has all the power and "everyone" knows it, then why wouldn't Dorsey be talking to McDermott?

Chiefs GM already stated the deal originated when he talked to Whaley and that he talked to Whaley each day this week. If McDermott has all the power and "everyone" knows it, then why wouldn't Dorsey be talking to McDermott?

Exactly lol

How can anyone even think McDermott is working on the draft like that lol..

Whaley and the Bills have million dollars invested in scouts..

I'm sure McD had an impact on the pick but he had zero impact on the wheeling and dealing. ..

Gets ,imo, an instant starter/leader/contributor to a suddenly very interesting secondary,a young, talented core, filled with potential.

Give the man credit when it's due!! We get an extra 3rd , in a remarkably deep draft, that pick could turn out to be gold..

Also gets a 2018 1st round pick! I mean that's an A grade to me...

Would like to see the Whaley haters give him his due! !!!

I agree, we get an additional first and third out of the deal. I would have been far less happy with another CB pick at #10 and no extra picks as an alternative.

You hear the story where it was some sort of event, I believe Lattimore or another big time cb was getting absolutely smoked by Amari Cooper. White comes in and shuts him down! I think it's a CBS sports clip..

Point is I feel we got a top 10 talent, people are so hung up on the fact the slot might be his best bet , but teams are in nickel 60% of the time, so it has become extremely important, NE has been exploiting it for years.

Good to see them building up the secondary as a WHOLE... As well as piling up assets for the future. ..

Yup. Local media was stirring the pot and making up stories. Meanwhile Whaley was talking to other GMs and setting his board. It would have been lunacy to have McDermott run the draft 3 months after arriving, with zero scouting experience.

Yup. Local media was stirring the pot and making up stories. Meanwhile Whaley was talking to other GMs and setting his board. It would have been lunacy to have McDermott run the draft 3 months after arriving, with zero scouting experience.

I know some of these guys football i.q''s are high enough to know this, but unfortunately a lot of good posters just cannot give Whaley some much deserved credit. Snatched an instant starter, aND valuable assets for the future. That's a near perfect first Rd imo

I loved the trade down, and I like the White pick

Kuddos to the DW-SM mgmt team

However I'm not swallowing the koolaid that all these off season moves indicate we are going to win 10 games

Have you seen our LB's and WR's?

First off your premise is based on a rookie DB, and a 2nd year 6th rounder DB playing like legit NFL starters at the same time

In combination with 2 young safeties with little NFL starting exp turning into starting studs

Add the possibility and probability of secondary injuries and you're projection is unfort way too rosy and improbable

Should it actually happen and a whole bunch of others things come together sure anything is possible

But I highly doubt this team is primed to win 10 games this year

Sorry, I'm not being negative, I'm just being realistic about the actual state of our roster versus our opponents
And the reality that while we will be drafting new young potential players this wkd so are all the other teams we play

jc

Edited by wilcoam

I hated it at first not going to lie, I really liked Lattimore but the 1st round pick next year really helps us hopefully.

I totally understand your train of thought. ..

My response would be that CB in this scheme doesn't demand too much pressure on our guys, so having a better talent would have been nice , but White fits this scheme like a top 10 pick.

Truth be told his biggest knock is that he can't play outside in the NFL. I'd if he could or not. I'm very confident he can play inside, and play it at a high level. Slot CB is a necessity to take the Division.

Oh and he was a leader. His awareness and instincts are beautiful. He is going to play inside like an All Pro,but he's versatile enough to play anywhere in the secondary. Great pick ,him and Michael Hyde on the same side? Going to cause CHAOS!!!!

I loved the trade down, and I like the White pick

Kuddos to the DW-SM mgmt team

However I'm not swallowing the koolaid that all these off season moves indicate we are going to win 10 games

Have you seen our LB's and WR's?

First off your premise is based on a rookie DB, and a 2nd year 6th rounder DB playing like legit NFL starters at the same time

In combination with 2 young safeties with little NFL starting exp turning into starting studs

Add the possibility and probability of secondary injuries and you're projection is unfort way too rosy and improbable

Should it actually happen and a whole bunch of others things come together sure anything is possible

But I highly doubt this team is primed to win 10 games this year

Sorry, I'm not being negative, I'm just being realistic about the actual state of our roster versus our opponents

And the reality that while we will be drafting new young potential players this wkd so are all the other teams we play

jc

Just to clarify my premise -

A 1st round CB who is Expected to jump on the field immediately and produce at a high level, but this pick shows me they felt they could upgrade the secondary as a GROUP.

As a group I feel Darby, Seymour, White, Hyde, who will be the veteran and emotional leader , and Poyer who is a vet as well ... And judging by these kids talent level, I feel we couldrealistically have a very good Secondary. A lot of versatile pieces, a lot of heady, smart players and I love the vision.

People go to great lengths to be negative around here...I mean now you are saying no way Whaley...one of the most active GMs in terms of trades in the NFL...couldnt possibly have anything to do with making this great trade today? This board is mid season form tonight.

People go to great lengths to be negative around here...I mean now you are saying no way Whaley...one of the most active GMs in terms of trades in the NFL...couldnt possibly have anything to do with making this great trade today? This board is mid season form tonight.

Yup! For anyone saying we got no value, the Browns were at 12, moved to 25 and got just a 2018 1st rounder.

We were 2 spots higher and moved 2 spots lower but also go a 3rd round,top 100 pick aND in a draft like this,that has a little bit more value , just knowing how many studs will still be available, great trade, great start to what is hopefully an epic draft

Exactly lol

How can anyone even think McDermott is working on the draft like that lol..

Whaley and the Bills have million dollars invested in scouts..

I'm sure McD had an impact on the pick but he had zero impact on the wheeling and dealing. ..

Gets ,imo, an instant starter/leader/contributor to a suddenly very interesting secondary,a young, talented core, filled with potential.

Give the man credit when it's due!! We get an extra 3rd , in a remarkably deep draft, that pick could turn out to be gold..

Also gets a 2018 1st round pick! I mean that's an A grade to me...

Would like to see the Whaley haters give him his due! !!!

You're making an assumption there's no particular reason to make.

Being on the phone doesn't mean you're the decision maker. Not even close. They were probably talking with twenty different teams about twenty different trades, not knowing which ones would work out and become possible.

It could easily be McDermott behind the wheeling and dealing. McD said that his relationship with Reid made his communication easier on this trade, that his trust and familiarity with Reid made things easier. Does Whaley know Reid?

Edited by Thurman#1

Love the move ... I'm totally good with a CB from LSU aka dbU ... 4 year starter .. 2 time HS valedictorian .... and wore the #18 at LSU (read about it) .... if you read PFF .. White was the #1 rated CB for 2016 and ... so I'm not so sure we lose a lot for not taking Lattimore and don't think he'll be hitting the hooch with Dareus ... I'll take a CB from the SEC vs. the less pass happy Big 10 ..and we get a 3rd and a 1st in 2018 ... BRAVO!!!

Ehhh but you do know that McDermott and Reid go way back though. So it's not far-fetched that Reid called him and said we want to take a QB. This could have been discussed at the combine.

You're making an assumption there's no particular reason to make.

Being on the phone doesn't mean you're the decision maker. Not even close. They were probably talking with twenty different teams about twenty different trades, not knowing which ones would work out and become possible.

It could easily be McDermott behind the wheeling and dealing. McD said that his relationship with Reid made his communication easier on this trade, that his trust and familiarity with Reid made things easier. Does Whaley know Reid?

This is what I was going to say. Reid could have told McD after the Combine or Pro day that he wanted a QB. McD gets the troops together and makes it look like the Bills want the QB but is just doing some extra scouting for Andy.

Love the move ... I'm totally good with a CB from LSU aka dbU ... 4 year starter .. 2 time HS valedictorian .... and wore the #18 at LSU (read about it) .... if you read PFF .. White was the #1 rated CB for 2016 and ... so I'm not so sure we lose a lot for not taking Lattimore and don't think he'll be hitting the hooch with Dareus ... I'll take a CB from the SEC vs. the less pass happy Big 10 ..and we get a 3rd and a 1st in 2018 ... BRAVO!!!

Yes PFF had him as best CB and 2nd best secondary player behind Jamal Adams.

If you ask me if I'd take White a 3rd and 1st next year or Lattimore, I'm taking White and the picks ALL DAY.

White played in the SEC , against the best competition in the country and opposing QBs had a 61 QB rating while targeting him. 14 pass break ups. 3 TD allowed and to be rated as PFFs top CB is awesome.

And this scheme doesn't need a top 3 CB to be successful. I feel they are more focused on being successful as a group.

PFF showing more love

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-5-favorite-picks-from-round-1/