Mike Lombardi on the Draft

norton20

This is a really interesting read (at least to me) on how the Pats rate players coming out and who fits as a potentially immediate starter on both offense and defense this year. I particularly agree with the reasoning for Belichick's trade down philosophy:

https://theringer.com/2017-nfl-draft-top-prospects-leonard-fournette-deshaun-watson-302c5ae6434c

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't mind either OJ howard or Hassan Reddick and both might be available when we draft. I think Howard will open things both in the running and passing game. If we are going offense I think OJ Howard would be better option than either Mike Williams/Corey Davis. Now if we trade back Reddick or one of the 2 WRs would be my choice then with some consideration to O-line.

I am still hoping one of the safeties drop which is a long shot. Safeties are more important in a zone scheme vs corners. Adams or Hooker would be a perfect fit but no way they are dropping to us unless we trade up.

Wouldn't mind either OJ howard or Hassan Reddick and both might be available when we draft. I think Howard will open things both in the running and passing game. If we are going offense I think OJ Howard would be better option than either Mike Williams/Corey Davis. Now if we trade back Reddick or one of the 2 WRs would be my choice then with some consideration to O-line.

I am still hoping one of the safeties drop which is a long shot. Safeties are more important in a zone scheme vs corners. Adams or Hooker would be a perfect fit but no way they are dropping to us unless we trade up.

Favorite player in the entire draft.

Really enjoyed that read!

I did too. . One of the more interesting draft pieces I've read actually. That system makes so much sense to me. I also was interested in Lombardi's take on this years class and his failure with Mingo.

Edited by norton20

This is a really interesting read (at least to me) on how the Pats rate players coming out and who fits as a potentially immediate starter on both offense and defense this year. I particularly agree with the reasoning for Belichick's trade down philosophy:

https://theringer.com/2017-nfl-draft-top-prospects-leonard-fournette-deshaun-watson-302c5ae6434c

This was a fantastic link. Thank you for it.

There are organizations that think like chess players and there are organizations that are checker players. The Patriots and Belichick are way ahead of the curve.

After reading the commentary on Watson I got fired up. If the Bills pass on him if he is available I will walk away in disgust. When will this backwater enter the modern era? Instead of patching holes why not start by building a foundation?

This was a fantastic link. Thank you for it.

There are organizations that think like chess players and there are organizations that are checker players. The Patriots and Belichick are way ahead of the curve.

After reading the commentary on Watson I got fired up. If the Bills pass on him if he is available I will walk away in disgust. When will this backwater enter the modern era? Instead of patching holes why not start by building a foundation?

I will not be shocked at all if the Bills take a QB.

I will not be shocked at all if the Bills take a QB.

I will be shocked if the Bills take a qb. I really believed that Whaley was ready to take the plunge on selecting a qb when he made it clear that he wanted to cut the chord with TT. What changed the situation is that I believe that McDermott is more empowered and his inclination is toward the defensive side of the ball.

When I read Lombardi's thoughts on Watson I was more resolute on the importance of taking a qb in the first round. But the reality is our backwater franchise's instincts lean toward the patchwork mind-set.

If the Bills select Watson in the first round I will be exuberant. If the Bills make their standard uninspiring and unimaginative pick I will be morose.