Dropping from #10: does it have to be a 2nd rounder?

Obviously, we don't know if it is going to happen and even if we did know we are just not sure of who it would be with. Granted, I love the idea of dropping down and getting "3 out of the top 50 or so guys in the draft" by dropping down. However, more and more I am thinking I would be OK with more picks and that if it helps us get a deal done there doesn't have to be a 2nd rounder in the mix. We might find more teams willing to dance with us.

Oh, don't get me wrong, it is not like I am going to move down for 3 - 5s, but still, I could live with a 3 and a 4 combination (or more) if it calls for it. I know there is no love lost between the TSW and Whaley, but personally I feel fairly confident in this staff with respect to the draft, and 6 picks in the first 120 picks, with 2-3 potential starters is acceptable to me.

Your thoughts?

Accompanying, please find Walters' draft value chart for a reference:

http://walterfootball.com/draftchart.php

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

The devil is always in the details.

A late second vs early picks in 3 and 4 might be enough to agree to a trade. However, the talent dropoff seems to be in round 3 so getting a second is most likely getting a starter or a developmental QB.

in my mock I took a 3 and a 4...still very good value at DB in rd 3&4 I think..maybe even WR and TE...granted they're not top 5 guys in each position tho

I hear you, gentlemen. I will add this, it is somewhat important to me to get at least three viable starters in the first 4 rounds, whether it be from 6 draft picks, or just 4.

I hear you, gentlemen. I will add this, it is somewhat important to me to get at least three viable starters in the first 4 rounds, whether it be from 6 draft picks, or just 4.

I'd definitely would take a 2nd and 3rd if that was offered tho over a 3rd and 4th...some teams even do stuff like switching picks to get better value also..say we get a 2nd switch our third pick with the trading teams 3rd pick and then also get a 4th cuz we switched 3rd rd picks

This. I hope the front office thinks the same. I don't wanna move down just to stockpile. We need to be able to recognize value. Whether it be on the board or in a trade down. If someone we think is a stud is on the board, snag him and dont think twice about it. If our guy isn't there move down and take more shots over a couple positions, either way i'm cool with it.

Obviously, we don't know if it is going to happen and even if we did know we are just not sure of who it would be with. Granted, I love the idea of dropping down and getting "3 out of the top 50 or so guys in the draft" by dropping down. However, more and more I am thinking I would be OK with more picks and that if it helps us get a deal done there doesn't have to be a 2nd rounder in the mix. We might find more teams willing to dance with us.

Oh, don't get me wrong, it is not like I am going to move down for 3 - 5s, but still, I could live with a 3 and a 4 combination (or more) if it calls for it. I know there is no love lost between the TSW and Whaley, but personally I feel fairly confident in this staff with respect to the draft, and 6 picks in the first 120 picks, with 2-3 potential starters is acceptable to me.

Your thoughts?

If we're dropping to past pick 16 or so then I'd much rather we get a 2nd this year back. Yet it's perceived value and if we could land a 1st and two 3rds I wouldn't be opposed to that either. Ultimately the draft is getting the best collection of players and this year seems to have a pretty good crop in the early rounds.

Edited by The Jokeman

This. I hope the front office thinks the same. I don't wanna move down just to stockpile. We need to be able to recognize value. Whether it be on the board or in a trade down. If someone we think is a stud is on the board, snag him and dont think twice about it. If our guy isn't there move down and take more shots over a couple positions, either way i'm cool with it.

i agree with your philosophy. Obviously take the player you like...

Id trade down in the first and then trade out of the first.

Your thoughts?

I'd take the extra picks. We have holes and not a lot of picks. Depends on what happens with Gillislee too.

Your thoughts?

It depends on how far I have to move down for that 3 and 4

I'd definitely would take a 2nd and 3rd if that was offered tho over a 3rd and 4th...some teams even do stuff like switching picks to get better value also..say we get a 2nd switch our third pick with the trading teams 3rd pick and then also get a 4th cuz we switched 3rd rd picks

I would like a scenario like this

Btw, every time I think I want a WR with our first pick I just see the holes that we have in our D. :cry:

We need a WR, but we NEED defensive picks. I would just love two definite starters on D, one more who can help out, and a definite number 2 WR.

Am I being greedy?

What are the holes on defense? CB and LB seem to be it yet think we can get quality guys at the positions outside Round 1. For instance if we stay at pick 10, I could see us going with Mike Williams WR in Round 1, Tyus Bowser LB in Round 2 and Rasul Douglas in Round 3.

no especially since whaley has shown in past drafts not be good at getting depth players in these rounds that make the roster.... as is seen by the fact that we have the least number of drafted players on our roster than any other team in the nfl

and where do you think Whaley Gillisee come from.? Whaley pick this guy from the street and about to get a 5th. You do remember he was 3rd string behind Karlos Williams another Whaley pick. this isn't hockey my friend The football side understand drafting players

i agree with your philosophy. Obviously take the player you like...

Id trade down in the first and then trade out of the first.

I wouldn't mind 13 picks. Especially if we are just dropping #10 and getting 8 others. Though wouldnt that require getting two 4s from someone?