QB wonderlic scores

I don't put a lot of stock into it. Maybe with QBs I'd put a little bit? But i'm not dropping someone off my board because they scored 4 points lower or something like that.

Also - there's always been the notion of a cultural bias with regards to the test.

I don't think anyone would argue to drop or raise someone over 4 points.

I think generally it's used as a "clear a minimum benchmark or explain what went wrong"

If a guy takes home a 9 I want to know if he's just an immature schmuck or possibly a learning disability or... even then you can take a guy

It's kind of like if a WR runs a 4.6 but I noticed he stumbled out of the start or pulled a muscle half way I might treat it different than if he showed up fat (still might take but with training plans) or is just slow.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone would argue to drop or raise someone over 4 points.

I think generally it's used as a "clear a minimum benchmark or explain what went wrong"

If a guy takes home a 9 I want to know if he's just an immature schmuck or possibly a learning disability or... even then you can take a guy

It's kind of like if a WR runs a 4.6 but I noticed he stumbled out of the start or pulled a muscle half way I might treat it different than if he showed up fat (still might take but with training plans) or is just slow.

Exactly how I see it. Just a way to identify guys that might have a harder time processing information.

For QB's, you can be book smart but a slow on field processor.

maybe the Fish and Pats won't care for the last weeks and the Bills get 9 wins?

Yes, the class system kind of guarantees that the higher your income the better the education and opportunities a child gets.

And when some demographics lose they whine and point fingers and blame everyone but themselves. Mine accepts the blame when it loses and looks for ways to improve the next time around and the rest of my life.

If I'm not mistaken those two paragraphs contradict each other?

Wonderlic scores doesn't really matter. Jim Kelly and Dan Marino had some of the lowest scores in history, but went on to become great Qb's and HOF.

Today's NFL is more complex than in the days of Kelly and Marino. I mean let's not forget Belichick developed the Giants defense that shut down Kelly (and the passing game) in Super Bowl XXV.

In terms of the Wonderilic, it's debatable of how good it measures a QBs intelligence, personally I liked Nathan Peterman before hearing his score and guess being he scored high it helps with my narrative that he be a good QB but honestly only time will tell. Yet I like that he's a guy who had to find himself (left Tennessee for Pitt) and showed some intangibles in a pro style offense.

Edited by The Jokeman

I just mention the cultural bias because its like the first argument everyone makes when speaking out against the test. There's a massive discrepancy between race, and I'm sure if you look into the location a person attended high school/college you might see a similar discrepancy.

I see the purpose of the test, but i don't see it as an accurate measurement of what you are trying to accomplish.

Today's NFL is more complex than in the days of Kelly and Marino. I mean let's not forget Belichick developed the Giants defense that shut down Kelly (and the passing game) in Super Bowl XXV.

In terms of the Wonderilic, it's debatable of how good it measures a QBs intelligence, personally I liked Nathan Peterman before hearing his score and guess being he scored high it helps with my narrative that he be a good QB but honestly only time will tell. Yet I like that he's a guy who had to find himself (left Tennessee for Pitt) and showed some intangibles in a pro style offense.

Myself personally, how someone thinks and reacts under the kind of pressure that can do not just you, but the recipient of your thought process/football bodily harm cannot be measured on paper.

Edited by Figster

All scored above a 20. I thought Dobbs the Rocket Scientist would be higher than 29. Kaaya had a 34 which led the group (I think he's a sleeper for the Bills in the mids btw. Needs to develop but fits Dennison system.) Chad Kelly got a 22, not too bad.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/23/all-top-quarterback-prospect-scored-more-than-20-on-wonderlic/

The wonderlic is an outdated measurement of intellect. But I think with QBs, it can be a factor considering how much info they need to process very quickly.

The Wonderlic has proven to be an excellent indicator of the POTENTIAL that a college QB COULD be a successful NFL QB.

Looking back to 2000, there has not been one QB who's scored below a 16 on the Wonderlic who has had a successful career.

Before anyone throws Fitz out there (it's really inevitable), a Wonderlic score above 15 does not say that a QB WILL be successful - only that he COULD.

On the flip side, a Wonderlic score of 15 or lower DOES mean that the QB WILL NOT be successful.

Myself personally, how someone thinks and reacts under the kind of pressure that can do not just you, but the recipient of your thought process/football bodily harm cannot be measured on paper.

Fair but you also have to be smart enough to run an NFL offense, especially nowadays with defensive schemes hiding coverage more than in years past. It's a lot about processing information and also doing on the field. Book smarts will only take you so far if can't do it on the field. It's why it's so hard to evaluate guys in spread offenses etc because in college it's usually make one read and throw in the NFL you might have to make several reads and/or stay in the pocket despite perceived pressure etc.

All scored above a 20. I thought Dobbs the Rocket Scientist would be higher than 29. Kaaya had a 34 which led the group (I think he's a sleeper for the Bills in the mids btw. Needs to develop but fits Dennison system.) Chad Kelly got a 22, not too bad.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/23/all-top-quarterback-prospect-scored-more-than-20-on-wonderlic/

The wonderlic is an outdated measurement of intellect. But I think with QBs, it can be a factor considering how much info they need to process very quickly.

How dare they leave Ryan Fitzpatrick off that list! Did you know he went to Harvard?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Fair but you also have to be smart enough to run an NFL offense, especially nowadays with defensive schemes hiding coverage more than in years past. It's a lot about processing information and also doing on the field. Book smarts will only take you so far if can't do it on the field. It's why it's so hard to evaluate guys in spread offenses etc because in college it's usually make one read and throw in the NFL you might have to make several reads and/or stay in the pocket despite perceived pressure etc.

What If less intelligence in some instances equates to clearer thought process under pressure.

Fear for instance may be reduced.

Edited by Figster

I see the purpose of the test, but i don't see it as an accurate measurement of what you are trying to accomplish.

i think that depends on what you decide you want to accomplish ---

if a team is looking to see if a guy is willing to prep for whatever they ask, has any learning issues that may become an issue with a playbook, etc.... its a tool.

if you are thinking teams assume this as an indicator of if a QB can look off a safety while reading a blitz and knowing what coverage is on the outside.... id venture again its more about whether a guy can sit down with a playbook and learn enough pattern recognition and "if, then" statements on their own and not so much how he will react with a LB in his face.

I just look at it like this...

1 - African-Americans score worse on the wonderlic.

2 - They have also traditionally scored more poorly on reading/math standardized testing. This test is a reading/math test.

Many taking this test got into their universities based on their football prowess, and passable grades at what many would consider inferior academic high schools. Some are essentially going to school to play football, as that is how the NFL is structured. In college they have tutors, ample study time, and they can get alternate arrangements for exams, etc.

Oh - and what does this have to do with football? I guess its good to confirm if a guy can read... But it really means nothing.

The wonderlic is measurement which has more to do with agent's preparation of client like any test you cram for. Some candidates may not take the preparation seriously (one top drafted QB in 2014 was supposedly partying in to early AM before test) and some may not have communication skills which will show up in interviews.

The wonderlic is measurement which has more to do with agent's preparation of client like any test you cram for. Some candidates may not take the preparation seriously (one top drafted QB in 2014 was supposedly partying in to early AM before test) and some may not have communication skills which will show up in interviews.

man I knew Jeanine Garofalo was a closet rager

Can you prepare for the wonderlic?

The only way I can think you could prep for the test would be if someone gave you the questions before hand. It wouldn't shock me if that has happened.

I imagine a few practice tests and a couple of tricks could help improve scores as opposed to going in totally cold. But it shouldn't be anything drastic if you are familiar with basic testing

maybe the Fish and Pats won't care for the last weeks and the Bills get 9 wins?

Yes, the class system kind of guarantees that the higher your income the better the education and opportunities a child gets.

And when some demographics lose they whine and point fingers and blame everyone but themselves. Mine accepts the blame when it loses and looks for ways to improve the next time around and the rest of my life.

Jeez. Now that's some politikin'