QB wonderlic scores

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Count me in the camp that thinks being smart is a huge asset for a quarterback. Granted, IQ tests like these aren't the only (or perhaps even the best) measure of intelligence, but all things being equal I'd sure rather have my quarterback be as sharp as a tack and able to quickly process a lot of conflicting information.

Doesn't mean a dummy can't be very good, but given the complexity of the modern NFL, smarter quarterbacks = more flexible, creative play calling and a small bit of extra upside through being able to execute in specific niche situations.

Wonderlic scores doesn't really matter. Jim Kelly and Dan Marino had some of the lowest scores in history, but went on to become great Qb's and HOF.

I suspect that players from earlier decades had no preparation. I find it hard to believe today's QBs seem to have higher average scores. I think most of the top players get special test prep to do better on the test.

Edited by jeffismagic

I suspect that players from earlier decades had no preparation. I find it hard to believe today's QBs seem to have higher average scores. I think most of the top players get special test prep to do better on the test.

I agree. It's hard to really trust the validity of these scores. In reality we aren't even supposed to know them. I've always read several articles that claim players have upped their scores doing retakes.

Say what you want to about Fitz but he will have a career most qbs will only ever dream of. His ability to think made him a much better NFL career with a ton less physical ability than much higher draft picks.

yea you cannot argue that.... he signed two more than decent sized contracts (bills and jets)

I think there has to be a better way of testing the minds of QBs.

Surprised Chad Kelly scored so high. Never met him but I got the sense he was retarded from all of his off field decisions.

Edited by r00tabaga

I agree. It's hard to really trust the validity of these scores. In reality we aren't even supposed to know them. I've always read several articles that claim players have upped their scores doing retakes.

It's like SAT test prep. If you can afford it and get it you will do better.

I think there has to be a better way of testing the minds of QBs.

Surprised Chad Kelly scored so high. Never met him but I got the sense he was retarded from all of his off field decisions.

Johnny Manziel also scored high.

my first wonderlic was given to me out of the blue as a 19 (20?) year old and totally unexpected and scored in the 40s.

if you are a high school grad, with atleast a few years of college... yea, basic test prep can help, but generally speaking, a score in the teens is bad for anyone familiar with taking any test.

Edited by NoSaint

Wonderlic scores doesn't really matter. Jim Kelly and Dan Marino had some of the lowest scores in history, but went on to become great Qb's and HOF.

back then you could sluff it off

Dan's candlepower upstairs is sadly displayed every time he talks on TV.

my first wonderlic was given to me out of the blue as a 19 (20?) year old and totally unexpected and scored in the 40s.

if you are a high school grad, with atleast a few years of college... yea, basic test prep can help, but generally speaking, a score in the teens is bad for anyone familiar with taking any test.

Yes, but many football players didn't really attend high school or college.

We're winning 6-8 games anyways so it doesn't matter who we draft. :)

maybe the Fish and Pats won't care for the last weeks and the Bills get 9 wins?

I don't put a lot of stock into it. Maybe with QBs I'd put a little bit? But i'm not dropping someone off my board because they scored 4 points lower or something like that.

Also - there's always been the notion of a cultural bias with regards to the test.

Yes, the class system kind of guarantees that the higher your income the better the education and opportunities a child gets.

And when some demographics lose they whine and point fingers and blame everyone but themselves. Mine accepts the blame when it loses and looks for ways to improve the next time around and the rest of my life.

Yes, the class system kind of guarantees that the higher your income the better the education and opportunities a child gets.

And when some demographics lose they whine and point fingers and blame everyone but themselves. Mine accepts the blame when it loses and looks for ways to improve the next time around and the rest of my life.

I'm not sure I understand your argument

what kind?

Apparently, part of the reason Marino fell in the draft was rumors he liked to go skiing. There were plenty of rumors of Kelly and Bruce being big fans of skiing.

Sadly, there are a lot of skiers out there now. With the flawed drug testing system, you're better off skiing than having a green thumb.

What are you trying to say here? I hope you're not lumping large groups of people together and saying everyone thinks the same.

At the same time, if you believe a kid in Southside Chicago has the same opportunity as kid in Beverly Hills, you are delusional.